Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins 2019 Position Analysis: Relief Pitcher

taylor rogers trevor may fernando romero
  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,170 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:44 PM

Romero sent to AAA today. Now what? Doesn't he still need innings (ideally starter innings) to develop?
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#42 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,653 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:05 PM

What does Romero need? Confidence? Relief experience? Or just more innings? I suspect it is confidence and a month or less of success in Triple A will be just the ticket.

#43 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:19 PM

I say keep him in the rotation, work on getting a better third pitch.

#44 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:52 PM

His numbers never really matched his stuff.. or his other numbers. .. basically, I've come to the conclusion that if your stuff can't strike out minor leaguers at 10+/9ip you probably don't have that great of stuff. Doubly so for guys like Romero who give up fair numbers of hits and walks. That's why I don't understand why we use k's/9ip rather than k%. If you're consistently facing extra batters, you should be getting more k's. To me, Romero profiles as a back end starter/primary competent reliever. Not so much an ace or shut down guy.
  • ashbury and Twins33 like this

#45 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,445 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:13 AM

So your argument is that it is a mental thing when he pitches too often or he is physically breaking down? You would think that his velocity/Movement would reflect some sort of change on a month to month change if he was physically affected by his workload. His innings per month isn't really supporting a drastically lower workload. More rest days but longer outings. Would this disqualify him from any sort of defined closer role if you were running the team?

In 2017 Pressly pitched 9 innings in april, 9 innings in May. You call this overworked.
He pitched 11.2 in July, 16 in July, 11.2 in August. You call this a lower workload.
I'm going out on a limb here and saying that he worked on something or had a wake up call with the June demotion to AAA.

2016 also show no signs of overworked in an innings per month standing. Certainly doesn't seem like less equals more. Had he thrown 2/3 of an inning more in June would he have lost that 4 point improvement?
April 14.1 innings 3.14ERA
May 14.1 - 6.28 ERA
June 13.2 - 1.98 ERA
July 11.2 - 3.09 ERA
Aug 12.2 - 3.55 ERA
Sept 8.2 - 4.15 ERA

We are over thinking what Ryan Pressly himself has told us is the a result of Houston coaching staff.

it’s not number of appearances. It’s rate. Appearances or pitches over time. Time is the constant and as RB pointed out, the key to maximizing quality is finding the sweet spot for individual pitchers of rate of pitches over time that they can throw the most highest quality pitches over the constant.

No two people are the same. Some throw 100 every 5 days, some throw 60 every 3 days. Some throw 30 every other day, some throw 45 two out of 5 days, etc.

That’s where your analysis comes in. Chart the metrics on where your leading indicators (velocity, spin rate, swinging strike rate, et al) drop off. Rather than defing your pitching capacity based on something arbitrary like “role” or not defining your capacity and rely on pitchers based on necessity, define your pitching capacity based on the pitchers performance.

#46 Twodogs

Twodogs

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 917 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 02:52 PM

Duensing just became available I believe.

😀

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: taylor rogers, trevor may, fernando romero