Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Report From The Fort: Breaking Down Baldelli's 'A Lineup'

max kepler byron buxton jorge polanco eddie rosario
  • Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 BBAM

BBAM

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:34 PM

With Mauer and Dozier gone there is so much flexibility. I don’t think Molitor had much of a choice but to play those 2 in prime spots.
  • nicksaviking likes this

#42 gman

gman

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:03 AM

I think when Sano gets back he should bat 6th or 7th until he settles in and forces a move up(hopefully). I try to imagine a lineup where part of the best batting order has Sano, Garver and Buxton hitting 7-9. Then I try to imagine anyone suggesting 3 years ago that the best lineup might have Sano and Buxton hitting 7 & 9.

#43 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:20 AM

With Mauer and Dozier gone there is so much flexibility. I don’t think Molitor had much of a choice but to play those 2 in prime spots.

Well Dozier was a homer guy who hit more homers in a year than anyone but the Killer. In fact, only Doze and Harm ever hit more than 40 HRs in a year. Mauer led all of baseball in BA with RISP in his mid 30s.Why wouldn't Molly have put them in prime positions? Its not like we had better guys on the bench. 

#44 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:28 AM

This lineup could all hit 20 HRs top to bottom.When have we ever had that?

Buck should bat leadoff. He is hitting like .438 this spring with power. I get the conventional wisdom thatKeps is a more patient hitter, so guys will see more pitches, but really, he is not a base stealer. Buck has stolen his last 29 bases without getting caught, or something ridiculous like that. So while I wouldn't call Buck a patient hitter, isn't being able to steal safely to get into scoring position even more important?. 

#45 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:45 AM

This lineup could all hit 20 HRs top to bottom. When have we ever had that?

Buck should bat leadoff. He is hitting like .438 this spring with power. I get the conventional wisdom that Keps is a more patient hitter, so guys will see more pitches, but really, he is not a base stealer. Buck has stolen his last 29 bases without getting caught, or something ridiculous like that. So while I wouldn't call Buck a patient hitter, isn't being able to steal safely to get into scoring position even more important?.

It is. But part of getting into scoring position involves getting on base. Until Buxton shows some ability to do that, he should not hit lead off.

Kepler’s career obp isn’t very good either, but his BB rate is team best aside from Cruz. The skills are there to be a successful leadoff hitter. It remains to be seen if he can actually do it. Personally, I feel it is far more likely that Kepler will increase his .236 BABIP from 2018 (and in so doing increase all his slash numbers) than Buxton will significantly increase his career obp from .285.
  • howieramone2 likes this

#46 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:59 PM

Love the spring training optimism but this lineup looks like it could strike out a record amount and struggle to get on base. Lots of solo homers in our future

#47 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 11:39 AM

I think overall this team will do well but will be sunk by a long losing streak or two.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: max kepler, byron buxton, jorge polanco, eddie rosario