Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Report From The Fort: Breaking Down Baldelli's 'A Lineup'

max kepler byron buxton jorge polanco eddie rosario
  • Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 USNMCPO

USNMCPO

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:38 AM

There's a nice amount of power in the middle of the order, and with Cron and Schoope behind Gonzalez, I have to think he sees a lot of good pitches... 

Castro is probably going to be a black hole... I'm not expecting much from him this year. Hopefully, Garver makes enough defensive strides that Castro finds himself more of in a backup role as time goes on. 

If Buxton and Kepler can finally break out... that will be a nasty lineup. 

I think we will see a 50/50 split at catcher. As the season progresses, we may see more Garver and less Castro with a sprinkling of our baby panda. Castro's health seems to me (with no real knowledge) something to keep an eye on.

#22 USNMCPO

USNMCPO

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:39 AM

Looked like a formidable big league lineup against the Red Sox yesterday. Should score a lot of runs and be very fun to watch.  I'm starting to get, dare I say, optimistic.  

It's fun to see an actual MLB roster sent out versus what we have seen in years past, isn't it?

• luckylager, DocBauer and bighat like this

#23 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:57 AM

I’d move Buxton up to 8th just so he never has to run behind Castro.
  • Dance with Disco Dan, DocBauer, gbg and 2 others like this

#24 NumberThree

NumberThree

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSomewhere north

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:02 AM

Where will Sano fit into this lineup when he’s back?
  • bighat likes this

#25 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:08 AM

Good lineup and a major improvement over last year's fiasco. Having said that, it would be nice to have a true lead off hitter, someone with a consistent .350-.380 OBP and some speed.I don't know that we have that potential guy in the minors unless Wade is that player. It will be tough to find out and get him in the lineup with the present outfield unless we move Kepler or Rosario to the IF (1B and/or 2B?) so it will probably take an injury to find out this year. 

#26 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:31 AM

Where will Sano fit into this lineup when he’s back?

He will replace Gonzalez in the order who will in turn replace others on a rotating basis.

Options like this are a GOOD thing!

• woolywoolhouse, Minfidel, DocBauer and 3 others like this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#27 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 845 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:56 AM

I would expect changes over the season.

If Buxton swings like he is now, then he has to move up, maybe even lead off.

Then what about Kepler?If he is swinging well, you use him to protect Sano/Gonzalez or Cron or Schoop, going from OBP multi-pitch guy to power bat hitting 6th, 7th or 8th.

That is an intriguing line-up, and one that would not be an embarassment in the playoffs against anyone.

• Kelly Vance and gagu like this

#28 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:23 AM

I'm not sure what if any impact Baldelli had on TB's lineup construction last year, but TB had six guys bat leadoff in at least 15 games. Most of the other spots in the lineup were very fluid as well.

Old School me likes to go back and think about the standard batting order of the teams from say 1987 or 2002, but lineup flexibility has tons of benefits to it. I mean, was it ever really wise to bat Jacque Jones leadoff against lefties?

• gagu likes this

#29 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,465 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 01:19 PM

I'm not sure what if any impact Baldelli had on TB's lineup construction last year, but TB had six guys bat leadoff in at least 15 games. Most of the other spots in the lineup were very fluid as well.

Old School me likes to go back and think about the standard batting order of the teams from say 1987 or 2002, but lineup flexibility has tons of benefits to it. I mean, was it ever really wise to bat Jacque Jones leadoff against lefties?

Well, maybe....we always knew our second baseman would be right behind him for protection!

• nicksaviking, Drew and IMissJoeMauer like this

#30 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,586 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:06 PM

Good lineup and a major improvement over last year's fiasco. Having said that, it would be nice to have a true lead off hitter, someone with a consistent .350-.380 OBP and some speed.I don't know that we have that potential guy in the minors unless Wade is that player. It will be tough to find out and get him in the lineup with the present outfield unless we move Kepler or Rosario to the IF (1B and/or 2B?) so it will probably take an injury to find out this year. 

Lewis will be here before you know it.

#31 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:21 PM

Was it ever wise to bat him leadoff, period?

Even against RHB, Jacque had a mediocre career .340 obp.

#32 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:23 PM

byron buxton is teasing twins fans again:

https://fivethirtyei...ins-fans-again/

#33 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:36 PM

If Kepler was hitting like he did last year I don't think he's productive or consistent enough to leadoff and if he finally realizes his potential, he'd probably be better served in the middle of the lineup.

Key thing to note: Even though Kepler's batting average dropped by 20 pts from the previous season, his OBP went up by 4 points. The decline in BA owes to a .224 BABIP that was one of the lowest in the league, and almost 50 points below his previous career mark.

If he bats even .250 while maintaining his walk rate, he suddenly has an OBP in the .350 range.

• Minfidel, Tibs, DocBauer and 3 others like this

#34 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:44 PM

If Buxton strikes out in his first AB of the year I'm going to just collapse in despair.

If he grounds out to short stop, I'll jump for joy. Please Bux, just put the bat on the ball and good thing will happen. We don't need him to bat .320, I think we'd all settle for .250. Very anxious about Bux again this year.

• DocBauer and howieramone2 like this

#35 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,465 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:45 PM

Clearly we should trade for Peter Bourjos.

#36 Obsvr

Obsvr

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:46 PM

Clearly we should trade for Peter Bourjos.

Ahhh good ol Gorgeous Bourjos

• TheLeviathan likes this

#37 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:52 PM

Buxton is dominating spring training. What are those other guys' names again? :P

Edited by Doomtints, 19 March 2019 - 03:52 PM.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#38 BBAM

BBAM

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:28 PM

There's a nice amount of power in the middle of the order, and with Cron and Schoope behind Gonzalez, I have to think he sees a lot of good pitches... 

Castro is probably going to be a black hole... I'm not expecting much from him this year. Hopefully, Garver makes enough defensive strides that Castro finds himself more of in a backup role as time goes on. 

If Buxton and Kepler can finally break out... that will be a nasty lineup.

#39 BBAM

BBAM

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:29 PM

Suzuki seems to be off to an okay start

#40 BBAM

BBAM

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:31 PM

This is Baldelli getting off on the right foot.Nice lineupconstruction.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: max kepler, byron buxton, jorge polanco, eddie rosario