Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins 2019 Position Analysis: Starting Pitcher

jose berrios kyle gibson michael pineda jake odorizzi martin perez
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 108Stitches

108Stitches

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:03 PM

What does Tyler Wells gotta do to get some recognition—kill Superman? :)

THIS! HAHA. So true. The man had the best season of ANY PITCHER in the organization top to bottom, gets totally robbed of the Twins Pitcher of the Year, and not even a mention in this rotation. But we get a low A guy with a 3.75 ERA and a 1.25 whip. Not bad, don't get me wrong, but he simply isn't going to be major league ready BEFORE Wells. Frankly, I don't think Graterol will be ready first either. Thorpe (and Alcala) are the most overrated in the org in my two cents, which are on sale today for $.01

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#22 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:29 PM

THIS! HAHA. So true. The man had the best season of ANY PITCHER in the organization top to bottom, gets totally robbed of the Twins Pitcher of the Year, and not even a mention in this rotation. But we get a low A guy with a 3.75 ERA and a 1.25 whip. Not bad, don't get me wrong, but he simply isn't going to be major league ready BEFORE Wells. Frankly, I don't think Graterol will be ready first either. Thorpe (and Alcala) are the most overrated in the org in my two cents, which are on sale today for $.01

If you want to go by the numbers (which clearly you do if you're high on Wells), I'm curious why you think Thorpe is overrated. He's a year younger than Wells and was dominating hitters at AA/AAA last year while Tyler spent most of his season at Single-A. 

The "prospects" listed are based on likelihood of making an impact, not proximity. 

• howieramone2 likes this

#23 108Stitches

108Stitches

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:36 AM

If you want to go by the numbers (which clearly you do if you're high on Wells), I'm curious why you think Thorpe is overrated. He's a year younger than Wells and was dominating hitters at AA/AAA last year while Tyler spent most of his season at Single-A. 

The "prospects" listed are based on likelihood of making an impact, not proximity.

I admit my opinion is based on a small sample of what I’ve seen while watching. Mostly because of what I saw in him in the futures game and in spring training this year. Frankly, he was not good. This my belief that he is overrated as far as major league impact, because he hasn’t done well in high pressure situations. Yes his numbers in season were good, but not amazing (3.54 era 1.24 whip). In fairness I think Thorpe is a high prospect, just not as high as you feel he is. Just a different perspective is all. Not saying he’s bad by any stretch so if that’s how it seemed I am correcting that notion.

#24 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:33 AM

I don't have a super specific definition, but from my view there are ~30 #1 starters and maybe a dozen aces. I see an "ace" as a guy who I'd be comfortable with in Game 1 of a playoff series. I guess that's the simplest way to put it.

I would tend to agree with you on the "#1 starter" definition, but I'm less enthusiastic about the "ace" definition. That one would end up being pretty elastic, I think and stretch out to more than the dozen you're thinking about in your head. Example: I think a lot of Twins fans would be very comfortable with Berrios starting Game 1 of a playoff series, but aren't ready to call him an "ace".

Berrios is a guy that I think many if not most teams would look at as a #1 starter, even if their scouting department would call him a #2. (one thing I learned from The Ringer's series on scouting was that most scouts don't project to the extremes and won't go out on a limb to put someone into more elite territory) Is he one in Boston or Cleveland or Houston? Not on their staffs, but what about New York? or Oakland or the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in Southern California Disneyland?

Regardless, the Twins are getting into much better position with their starters and getting closer to having a staff that can perform not only over the long haul of a season but in a short series. Berrios is terrific and will leave people drooling for years with that curve.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, kyle gibson, michael pineda, jake odorizzi, martin perez