Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Electronic Ticket crackdown

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cardsfan

cardsfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:36 PM

I saw that the Angels were only going to accept electronic tickets on MLB ballpark app or tickets bought at their box office. Will this block stubhub? Other teams were considering doing this.

Edited by cardsfan, 15 March 2019 - 02:37 PM.

#2 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,317 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 12:08 PM

I saw that the Angels were only going to accept electronic tickets on MLB ballpark app or tickets bought at their box office. Will this block stubhub? Other teams were considering doing this.

I think it's just a ban on tickets printed at home.

https://www.latimes....0314-story.html

No more printed tickets
When the Angels return to Anaheim for the season, tickets printed at home will not be accepted at the gates.
The Angels announced the change Thursday. They will only accept tickets presented on a mobile device on the MLB Ballpark app, or tickets sold at the Angel Stadium Box Office.

Most Stubhub tickets, and those from other resellers, are electronic these days anyway -- they scan them from your phone when you enter, just like tickets from the MLB Ballpark app.

Note that Stubhub is still "the Official Fan to Fan Ticket Marketplace of angels.com":

https://www.mlb.com/...tickets/stubhub

#3 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 21,672 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 16 March 2019 - 01:17 PM

I think it's just a ban on tickets printed at home.

https://www.latimes....0314-story.html

Most Stubhub tickets, and those from other resellers, are electronic these days anyway -- they scan them from your phone when you enter, just like tickets from the MLB Ballpark app.

Note that Stubhub is still "the Official Fan to Fan Ticket Marketplace of angels.com":
https://www.mlb.com/...tickets/stubhub

I don't understand what the team is trying to prevent. Tickets printed at home are scanned at the entrance gate just like any other ticket. If it's been duplicated, that gets handled the same way as any anomaly. There's almost no such thing as a general admission ticket at MLB games anymore. So, what is the ill the team thinks it is curing?

Nothing is impossible for the one who doesn't have to do the work.

#4 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 01:27 PM

Minnesota United is all e-tix you present on your phone, at least that was what I was told when I bought some online. They use SeatGeek. I've done phone tix thru Ticketmaster to see the Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly, and I have to say it is pretty slick.

#5 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,317 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 06:42 PM

I don't understand what the team is trying to prevent. Tickets printed at home are scanned at the entrance gate just like any other ticket. If it's been duplicated, that gets handled the same way as any anomaly. There's almost no such thing as a general admission ticket at MLB games anymore. So, what is the ill the team thinks it is curing?

Well, if they get to remove the "print at home" option from their website, maybe that helps streamline things.

I suspect that home printed tickets might be harder to scan sometimes?

If they are worried about counterfeits, self printed counterfeit tickets would be harder to track, especially if they were bought from a street scalper. (Also going digital helps get rid of street scalpers in general, I imagine.)

#6 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:23 AM

Maybe it's a tree killing deterrent :) .... Although they still print ballpark passes (at least at Target field), so the trees aren't out of the woods yet.