Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins and Gibson Discussion and Extension

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,351 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:31 PM

http://www.startribu...lier/507159692/

Interesting to see how this plays out. I'd have to think an extension is likely since the Twins hadn't let the other extension talks leak until after they were nearly complete, or declined.

Though in this case it does appear that Gibson was the one disclosing the information.

• glunn, Sconnie, DocBauer and 3 others like this

#2 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Offense: maybe potent. Pitching: ??

• Members
  • 1,891 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:44 PM

I think sometimes you just have to believe that a player has 'turned the corner'. Gibson finished 2017 strong and had a good 2018. He may not be a #1 starter, but he's looking pretty good for a stretch of time that should not be ignored.

• glunn, gil4, Twins33 and 6 others like this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#3 NumberThree

NumberThree

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSomewhere north

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:59 PM

I think sometimes you just have to believe that a player has 'turned the corner'. Gibson finished 2017 strong and had a good 2018. He may not be a #1 starter, but he's looking pretty good for a stretch of time that should not be ignored.

And despite the late start to ST, he's looking decent. I'm hopeful.

• glunn, Oldgoat_MN, Sconnie and 2 others like this

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,351 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:02 PM

It's funny, I was the rare bird defending Gibson right after the Twins hired Falvey. I said he had the size and the repertoire similar to Cleveland's starters and I guessed the new front office would tell him to stop intentionally putting the ball in play and start striking guys out with his good velocity and breaking pitches. It was like one of the only baseball "calls" I've ever gotten right. I'm almost always wrong with these kinds of things.

But then he went and got old (for a starting pitcher) and now I'm torn about keeping a guy whom I should otherwise be particularly fond of..  

• glunn, gil4, Oldgoat_MN and 1 other like this

#5 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:32 PM

I have been a Gibson fan for a long time and am not worried about his age.Expect the length of the contract may be one of the stickier parts of the negotiation.

Enough talking, just get it done!!

• glunn, Kelly Vance, DocBauer and 1 other like this

#6 cardsfan

cardsfan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:53 PM

How much money do you think Kyle Gibson should earn? He was 7-13 before winning his last 3 starts in 2018. His ERA and WHIP were horrible in 2017 over 5 and 1.5 WHIP. Could you see giving him $75 million for 5 years for this mediocrity.

#7 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,351 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:04 PM

How much money do you think Kyle Gibson should earn? He was 7-13 before winning his last 3 starts in 2018. His ERA and WHIP were horrible in 2017 over 5 and 1.5 WHIP. Could you see giving him $75 million for 5 years for this mediocrity.

That's too many years. I don't care much about the money.

To be fair to Kyle though, he should probably most be judged on what he did after getting recalled in August of 2017. Prior to that he was still trying to do the sinkerball bit, after getting demoted he clearly changed his approach and started using his breaking pitches to get more swings and misses. He has been really consistent the past year and a half.

I guess I also don't really care how many Wins he got.

• glunn, gil4, Twins33 and 3 others like this

#8 Post-Concussive Blues

Post-Concussive Blues

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:24 PM

3 years, $33 million
  • glunn likes this

#9 blindeke

blindeke

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:33 PM

He's 31... 

#10 KGB

KGB

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:38 PM

3 years, $33 million

I believe around this is the offer. But Lance Lynn getting 3/30, I can't see Gibson signing.
  • glunn likes this

#11 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:43 PM

I would give him 4/48 extension and not think twice about it. I bet he would take it too.

If you wait until after the year and he has another really good season that moves to 4/60.

Edited by Joe A. Preusser, 15 March 2019 - 03:44 PM.

• glunn, NapoleonComplex and DocBauer like this

#12 cardsfan

cardsfan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:43 PM

I would give him 4/48 extension and not think twice about it. I bet he would take it too.
If you wait until after the year and he has another really good season that moves to 4/60.

I can’t see a team getting good value for 4 years 60 million. I feel sorry for who signed Lance Lynn though you might win half his games.

#13 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:06 PM

Anything more than a qualifying offer will be a mistake, and I’m not even sure that’d be in the Twins best interests either...
  • Shaitan likes this

#14 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:36 PM

Gibby was a hard luck pitcher in 2018. His teammates let him down often. He should have been 13-7

• howieramone2 and DannySD like this

#15 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,236 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:41 PM

I don't see why he would take 4/48.JA Happ got two years and 34M, he is in that range.

#16 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Wahoo

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:44 PM

I'd sign him fo sho. No more than four years. I also think with proper coaching he changed his approach. The guy is talented and I would bet on sustained success and a lengthy prime. He has found his stride, you can see his confidence.

Edited by Original Whizzinator, 15 March 2019 - 05:47 PM.

• NapoleonComplex, DocBauer and CUtomorrownight like this

#17 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,653 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:01 PM

I don't see why he would take 4/48. JA Happ got two years and 34M, he is in that range.

Happ has had 0 seasons with an ERA above 4 since 2014. Gibson has had two north of 5 in that stretch. Things like that matter at the negotiating table.

No way more than 3 years. $30-$36 mil

#18 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,236 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:25 PM

Happ has had 0 seasons with an ERA above 4 since 2014. Gibson has had two north of 5 in that stretch. Things like that matter at the negotiating table.

No way more than 3 years. $30-$36 mil

I'm not saying I give him 2/34. I'm just saying his comps on the open market are far above a 4/48 deal.

Edited by TheLeviathan, 15 March 2019 - 06:26 PM.

#19 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,744 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:12 PM

I absolutely am on board with an extension. I also believe he truly did re-invent himself the last half of 2017 and it carried over through 2018. And to be honest, I'm not sure we've seen the best of Gbson yet with this new coaching staff onboard, as well as just experience. Remember, he's only 31. He should be primed for, potentially, the best 2-4 years of his career.

IMO, Gibson has earned a very unfair and un-deserved reputation over his career. Much like Berrios, and many/most young pitchers, you almost have to throw out his debut, 2013 in this case. He was a rookie getting his first taste of MLB, coming off TJ surgery, probably tiring, and put up bad numbers in a SEA of 51 IP. (Still better overall numbers than Berrios in situations).

2014 was his first full season and he missed rookie status by 1 IP. He had a nice, quality season. Other than his W-L record, he improved in virtually every category in 2015. For whatever reason, the wheels came off in 2016, as they seemed to for the entire team in that horrendous year. The wheels were still spinning the first half of 2017 before he really found himself.

So in short, he had 2 very solid, quality years, a pretty bad 1 1/2 season's, followed by the best 1 1/2 he's ever had. Just do the math. Numbers can be interpreted in different ways, argued and manipulated even, but they can't be denied. 3 1/2 good to very good seasons vs 1 1/2 poor seasons. And his very best have been the most recent.

All that being said...and I may sound like I'm contradicting myself, but I'm really not...the market has shifted and there is not a sustained pattern of success to place him in a "top of the rotation" category in regard to potential contract earnings. I believe a contract should be 3-4yrs in length, and should average out to about $14M per. I'm fine with a bump to around $15M or so. The money would be guaranteed, of course, so I'd try my best to front load the first couple of years due to future contract situations for the rest of the roster.
  • rdehring likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#20 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,351 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:45 PM

I'm not saying I give him 2/34. I'm just saying his comps on the open market are far above a 4/48 deal.

His comps on the market may still get $12M per year, but no ones giving 32-year-old comp pitchers 4 year deals anymore.
  • Danchat likes this