Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Upcoming Rule Changes Greatly Benefit Tyler Austin’s Future

tyler austin
  • Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#81 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 01:16 PM

I'm surprised so many people -- heck nearly everybody -- like these rule changes. They all feel very "un-baseball" to me and minimize the ability for good managers to make smart decisions to give themselves an edge.

I also don't see how these changes help someone like Tyler Austin. I think they help the players at the other end of the spectrum-- it will give the old players another roster spot to stick around a little longer.

We hear complaints about how we have moved to a "participation medal" culture, and it feels like these rule changes make it easier for crappier teams to compete. Casual fans aren't going to understand what's going on with a lot of this rubbish.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#82 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 02:41 PM

LOOGY usage has been steadily deteriorating over the past few seasons anyway. Only 11% of LHP relief appearances lasted for only one batter last year, which is way down from the peak usage in the 1990s and 2000s when it was over 15%.

My guess is that a combination of overall better relievers, higher strikeout rates, and shifting is rendering that role obsolete.

This is a result of a steadily increasing number of pitchers used in each game. Since so many more pitchers were used in 2018 than 20 years ago that 11% is part of a much larger number. The number of 1 and 2 batter outing has increased significantly since the 90s but not quite as fast as the number of pitchers per game (partly due to shorter starts).

Last year a record number of pitchers were used in games making the fourth straight year that record was broken.

Edited by jorgenswest, 16 March 2019 - 02:48 PM.

#83 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,148 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 16 March 2019 - 03:08 PM

This is a result of a steadily increasing number of pitchers used in each game. Since so many more pitchers were used in 2018 than 20 years ago that 11% is part of a much larger number. The number of 1 and 2 batter outing has increased significantly since the 90s but not quite as fast as the number of pitchers per game (partly due to shorter starts).

Last year a record number of pitchers were used in games making the fourth straight year that record was broken.

Are there stats on the number of mid-inning pitching changes? Bringing in a new pitcher to start an inning seems more prevalent than in years past, but that move costs little to nothing in terms of play pace.

I don't have to tell you it goes without saying there are some things better left unsaid. I think that speaks for itself. The less said about it, the better. -- George Carlin

#84 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 03:31 PM

Are there stats on the number of mid-inning pitching changes? Bringing in a new pitcher to start an inning seems more prevalent than in years past, but that move costs little to nothing in terms of play pace.

I am not sure of a way to pull that from BR play index but since the number of pitchers per game has increased significantly the number of all types of appearances has likely increased including those that start an inning.

I did check for how many appearances were less than an inning. Virtually all of those would result in a mid-inning change with the exception of walk offs. In 2018 there were 4492 appearances of less than an inning and in 1998 there were 3479 for a little over 29% increase. Last year ranks second in those type of appearances behind 2015 (4613). 1998 fits in line with the trend with more than any year previous and fewer than any year since with the exception of 2000 (3474).

Edited by jorgenswest, 16 March 2019 - 03:37 PM.

#85 108Stitches

108Stitches

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 06:00 PM

I think we will no longer be able to compare players from here on out to players from 50 years ago. The game is going to be completely different.

#86 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,159 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 08:11 PM

I think we will no longer be able to compare players from here on out to players from 50 years ago. The game is going to be completely different.

Bases are still going to be 90 feet apart. Pitching rubber still 60’6” from home plate. Still 9 vs 9.

#87 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:28 PM

I would rather see the Twins go full "lumber company" and keep Austin instead of Ehire. This guy has big time power. As a bench bat or sub, that appeals to me more than glove. With Marwin in the fold, and perhaps Tortuga, go all in on offense is a good play for this team.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tyler austin