Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

2020 Presidential Election

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
955 replies to this topic

#941 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,841 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 03:21 PM

They are trying to hide behind "equal time" as the reason. I call BS.

• PseudoSABR likes this

#942 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,905 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 04:12 PM

Company that owned country music station refused to air Buttigieg interview

So? The administrators in my school district got together and told all of us teachers not to show the Trump inauguration. The Obama election was treated like the first lunar landing.

I wasn't outraged. Why is this such a big deal to you?
  • MMMordabito likes this

#943 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,568 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:58 PM

So? The administrators in my school district got together and told all of us teachers not to show the Trump inauguration. The Obama election was treated like the first lunar landing.

I wasn't outraged. Why is this such a big deal to you?

Not a fan of censorship even by private parties, especially when the rationale is totally bunk.  

Obama's election was historic . . . 

#944 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,905 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:29 PM

Not a fan of censorship even by private parties, especially when the rationale is totally bunk.  

Obama's election was historic . . .

It most certainly was, but what if some administrator directed his staff not to tune into Obama's inauguration?

The "private censor" applied in my district didn't apply to me. I played Trump's inauguration
  • MMMordabito likes this

#945 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,568 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 10:14 PM

It most certainly was, but what if some administrator directed his staff not to tune into Obama's inauguration?

The "private censor" applied in my district didn't apply to me. I played Trump's inauguration

But Trump's inauguration had no unique historical value, and his rhetoric was divisive (unlike Obama's). 

And I think of airwaves, and broadcasting in general, as public goods, where censorship of an ideology on a non-political channel/station shouldn't be tolerated. 

Edited by PseudoSABR, 22 July 2019 - 10:15 PM.

#946 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,905 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:26 AM

But Trump's inauguration had no unique historical value, and his rhetoric was divisive (unlike Obama's). 

So? George W Bush had no historical value either but the administration in my district didn't insist we not show his inauguration.

This I HATE TRUMP hysteria is historical and unique.

It's actually fascinating to watch
  • MMMordabito likes this

#947 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,905 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 08:39 AM

I don't know SABR. If I worked in a place that told me not to show Elizabeth Warren's inauguration to my students I would have none of it just the same. The fact that administration of a school district (not all) took it upon themselves to email blast its teachers directing them not to show the Trump inauguration is absurd. They are in essence denying students their right to see it. This stuff happens every four years and I had lessons centered around it.

This kind of brazen imposition on everyone's freedom that has become all too typical and it's widely accepted. I know some people viewed Trump's inauguration tantamount to a KKK rally, but that's their own paranoia getting the better of them. I don't need liberal minds turning into the morality police and shutting down what I can or can't watch. This takes me back to the actions of the "moral majority" of the 80s who assumed they knew what was right for everyone. It's become almost the same thing
  • MMMordabito likes this

#948 USMCTwin

USMCTwin

• 175 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:12 AM

I think it's about how we define racism.I think for some people racism means to actively hate another subgroup because of their race.But for others a racist is someone who does and believes lots of smaller scales things that tend to diminish the standing of another racial group.For these people, it doesn't matter if these beliefs and deeds are thought/done consciously and with intent or unconsciously/habitually.

For instance the "go back to your country" is probably not said because Trump hates women of color; rather, ask yourself, would he ever say that to a White American, like Bernie Sanders (who is probably further left than the Squad)? And if not, what other distinction can there be other than some element of racism. 

I know you didn't state I was excusing his behavior, but others have insinuated as such and I just wanted to first say I am in no way excusing his behavior. I think it is entirely atrocious. I still don't believe it's racism so much as a schoolyard bully. He just picks the low hanging insults. I guess it doesn't really matter so I should just drop it, but I think sometimes words lose their value when they are over-applied. 

• Craig Arko likes this

#949 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,694 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:21 AM

I know you didn't state I was excusing his behavior, but others have insinuated as such and I just wanted to first say I am in no way excusing his behavior. I think it is entirely atrocious. I still don't believe it's racism so much as a schoolyard bully. He just picks the low hanging insults. I guess it doesn't really matter so I should just drop it, but I think sometimes words lose their value when they are over-applied.

I’d say you are applying this principle of logic.

https://en.m.wikiped...iple_of_charity

Edited by Craig Arko, 23 July 2019 - 09:22 AM.

• USMCTwin likes this
"Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars." - Old Serbian proverb

#950 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,568 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:55 AM

I don't know SABR. If I worked in a place that told me not to show Elizabeth Warren's inauguration to my students I would have none of it just the same. The fact that administration of a school district (not all) took it upon themselves to email blast its teachers directing them not to show the Trump inauguration is absurd. They are in essence denying students their right to see it. This stuff happens every four years and I had lessons centered around it.

This kind of brazen imposition on everyone's freedom that has become all too typical and it's widely accepted. I know some people viewed Trump's inauguration tantamount to a KKK rally, but that's their own paranoia getting the better of them. I don't need liberal minds turning into the morality police and shutting down what I can or can't watch. This takes me back to the actions of the "moral majority" of the 80s who assumed they knew what was right for everyone. It's become almost the same thing

Look, I don't think inaugurations generally have much education value, but I can understand why some showed Obama's given the historic context.

As for Trump, it doesn't have to do with hate, it's that the way he OFTEN speaks is not appropriate for children.He literally made fun of people with mental disabilities, among so many other things. Your refusal to even acknowledge Trump's obvious inappropriateness makes me once again believe that you can't have an honest conversation about the man.Peace out.

Edited by PseudoSABR, 23 July 2019 - 09:55 AM.

#951 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,568 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:59 AM

I know you didn't excuse his behavior.But when we gloss over attacks with racial over tones, we allow them to continue.Calling Trump a school yard bully is akin to rephrasing his "grab them by the ...." as locker room talk.Sometimes a spade is a spade. If we are hearing the word racist a lot more, it's because certain people are willing to express their racist opinions given the political climate. 

And given how triggered conservatives get over the word racist, it doesn't seem to have lost any of its charge.

• gunnarthor likes this

#952 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,905 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:23 PM

Look, I don't think inaugurations generally have much education value, but I can understand why some showed Obama's given the historic context.

As for Trump, it doesn't have to do with hate, it's that the way he OFTEN speaks is not appropriate for children.He literally made fun of people with mental disabilities, among so many other things. Your refusal to even acknowledge Trump's obvious inappropriateness makes me once again believe that you can't have an honest conversation about the man.Peace out.

I acknowledge Trump's "inappropriateness" 

Now what?

#953 USMCTwin

USMCTwin

• 175 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:25 PM

I know you didn't excuse his behavior.But when we gloss over attacks with racial over tones, we allow them to continue.Calling Trump a school yard bully is akin to rephrasing his "grab them by the ...." as locker room talk.Sometimes a spade is a spade. If we are hearing the word racist a lot more, it's because certain people are willing to express their racist opinions given the political climate. 

And given how triggered conservatives get over the word racist, it doesn't seem to have lost any of its charge.

I wouldn't say I'm triggered over it. I just think words matter. I guess maybe our distinguishing difference is what someone else previously said I believe you can do/say racist things without necessarily being a racist. It just makes you some combination of unaware, ignorant, or stupid. Heavens knows I have done things that I ought not, but I don't think that makes me racist. I can understand though if you think doing/saying things that are perceived as racist means you are racist. It feels like we are splitting hairs here though so I'll bow out as we both generally agree his attacks are entirely unwarranted and unnecessary. 

#954 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,568 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:03 PM

I wouldn't say I'm triggered over it. I just think words matter. I guess maybe our distinguishing difference is what someone else previously said I believe you can do/say racist things without necessarily being a racist. It just makes you some combination of unaware, ignorant, or stupid. Heavens knows I have done things that I ought not, but I don't think that makes me racist. I can understand though if you think doing/saying things that are perceived as racist means you are racist. It feels like we are splitting hairs here though so I'll bow out as we both generally agree his attacks are entirely unwarranted and unnecessary. 

I didn't think you were triggered either, and I do think we are splitting hairs at this point.I think we all try to admonish the behavior before the person, but at a certain point, that behavior accumulates into an aggregate whole, which I think is fair game to judge.

#955 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,568 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:04 PM

I acknowledge Trump's "inappropriateness" 

Now what?

Don't be surprised that people react negatively to him, and don't want him in our schools...

#956 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,905 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 05:06 PM

Don't be surprised that people react negatively to him, and don't want him in our schools...

You can bet nothing surprises me when it comes to any form of Trump backlash