Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

2020 Presidential Election

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
955 replies to this topic

#581 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,841 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:27 AM

https://www.politico...den-2020-226872

Interesting read about Joe Biden's popularity in the Dem field.

• TheLeviathan likes this

#582 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:09 PM

https://www.politico...den-2020-226872

Interesting read about Joe Biden's popularity in the Dem field.

We'll see if he can hold the position.But when progressives/liberals dismissed him time and time again, told us all that his time has past, etc.

You sorta have to concede you read that wrong.Maybe you'll still be ultimately be right, but so far that wing of the left has been very wrong about Biden.Perhaps there is a deeper error at work than something as simple as "it's all name recognition".

I think there is, but we'll see what happens as the debates fire up.I really like that comment in the article about how fear drives people to be risk-averse.That is a very poignant observation.

• gunnarthor likes this

#583 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,282 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:17 PM

Rip Roe. And people still won't vote.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#584 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:24 PM

I hear people argue it's a "state's rights" issue.Screw that.  

If that's true let's make the same penalties for firing a gun in another state.See how that holds up.When people celebrate things like this for "their side" they are truly undermining the basic foundations of our Republic.It's repulsive and it damn well better be a rallying cry the Dems beat over and over again.

#585 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,282 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:28 PM

Electoral College is wrong... It is state's rights over one vote per person..... As long as it exists, we'll have these problems.

#586 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:31 PM

Electoral College is wrong... It is state's rights over one vote per person..... As long as it exists, we'll have these problems.

That's some impressive gymnastics to pull the electoral college into that argument.....

Sorry, but that's not a particularly close issue to this one.

#587 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,282 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:35 PM

That's some impressive gymnastics to pull the electoral college into that argument.....

Sorry, but that's not a particularly close issue to this one.

Given who won the popular vote.... It totally caused this. And it is about states mattering, as if those are somehow important in a national election.

#588 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:45 PM

Given who won the popular vote.... It totally caused this. And it is about states mattering, as if those are somehow important in a national election.

The right has been working their way up to this kind of legislation for decades.This is a long game plan that is evil, it really is.But it is totally unrelated to the Electoral College.  

States rights are an important part of our Republic, but this isn't states rights.Those citing that as their reason are bastardizing what that means to apply it here.  

#589 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:56 PM

The Alabama law, and even the Georgia law, are beyond the pale. I saw tweet earlier that even Billy Graham believed the Alabama law would be overturned. 

Outlawing abortion would entrench a class of poverty in perpetuity.This is not about religion, it is class warfare.  

#590 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:01 AM

I think Biden's support among minorities will erode as it becomes more prominent his role in the 90s crime bill.I see no reason to support the man, beyond Obama good feels and risk-aversion/cynicism.

Biden's establishment, deal-making history worries he may safe-guard certain constituencies prior to the primaries ala Clinton, exactly the kind of thing the Democratic party should resist after 2016.  

We make too much of the polls at this time, only the political junkies (like us) are paying attention, and only us are trying to thread the nuance.When the debates, and esp. the primaries start, we'll see how the candidates actually stand among the voting public.

But please god not Biden. 

Edited by PseudoSABR, 16 May 2019 - 12:23 AM.

#591 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,259 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:02 AM

We make too much of the polls at this time, only the political junkies (like us) are paying attention, and only us are trying to thread the nuance.When the debates, and esp. the primaries start, we'll see how the candidates actually stand among the voting public.

Agree. It’s too early. This time in 2015, Trump was still a joke candidate; this time in 2011, Rick Perry was going to enter the race and all the competition would scurry away like scared animals; and so on.
  • LaBombo likes this

#592 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:53 AM

Agree. It’s too early. This time in 2015, Trump was still a joke candidate; this time in 2011, Rick Perry was going to enter the race and all the competition would scurry away like scared animals; and so on.

You are absolutely right, but that wasn't the point of the article.

Many further left people told us Biden was dead in the water now.That was clearly wrong, so the question is.....why were they so wrong?And is that mistake one that we should be wary of?

Perhaps he goes the way of Rick Perry.Perhaps not.But he's clearly relevant now and there is a large appetite for him as a candidate right now.

• gunnarthor and LaBombo like this

#593 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,259 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:21 AM

You are absolutely right, but that wasn't the point of the article.

Many further left people told us Biden was dead in the water now.That was clearly wrong, so the question is.....why were they so wrong?And is that mistake one that we should be wary of?

Perhaps he goes the way of Rick Perry.Perhaps not.But he's clearly relevant now and there is a large appetite for him as a candidate right now.

I’m surprised, I will admit it. But I think a big part of the reason is what the other poster mentioned, that ordinary people aren’t paying attention and he has name recognition. Also, he is a candidate for the status quo and “reaching across the aisle.” That would appeal to a lot of general voters but maybe not the primaries.

#594 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:44 AM

I’m surprised, I will admit it. But I think a big part of the reason is what the other poster mentioned, that ordinary people aren’t paying attention and he has name recognition. Also, he is a candidate for the status quo and “reaching across the aisle.” That would appeal to a lot of general voters but maybe not the primaries.

The evidence being cited is primary voters, so that doesn't appear to be true.That may change, but right now Democrat primary voters are in his camp.  

Also, I'd argue people are rarely paying close attention.I'm not sure if an extra spotlight will matter, winning elections is more about speaking to what people really want.And what many people seem to really want is a guarantee Trump loses.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#595 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:17 PM

• gunnarthor likes this

#596 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,658 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:48 PM

https://www.economis...-role-in-voting
"Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars." - Old Serbian proverb

#597 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,209 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:44 PM

The Alabama law, and even the Georgia law, are beyond the pale. I saw tweet earlier that even Billy Graham believed the Alabama law would be overturned. 

Outlawing abortion would entrench a class of poverty in perpetuity.This is not about religion, it is class warfare.  

Class warfare? Yeah, partly. It's more than just that, though. There is a higher target than that in this war.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#598 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:24 AM

Class warfare? Yeah, partly. It's more than just that, though. There is a higher target than that in this war.

I didn't mean to suggest that at the exclusion of women; but the burden of being compelled to give birth will have such a outsized effect on poor women that will entrench them and their children in poverty.That there's a war on women is absolutely implicit (to the point of obviousness) and essential to what I was saying.

• SQUIRREL likes this

#599 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,209 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:26 AM

I didn't mean to suggest that at the exclusion of women; but the burden of being compelled to give birth will have such a outsized effect on poor women that will entrench them and their children in poverty.That there's a war on women is absolutely implicit (to the point of obviousness) and essential to what I was saying.

I think the answer is obvious. Long jail terms for any man who impregnates a woman unwantedly.

• PseudoSABR likes this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#600 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:06 PM

I think the answer is obvious. Long jail terms for any man who impregnates a woman unwantedly.

Sterilize everyone has always been my (only partly) tongue-in-cheek response.License people to breed.  

We step ever closer!