Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

2020 Presidential Election

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
955 replies to this topic

#21 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,796 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:57 PM

He had to spend a significant amount of political capital saving the economy.He isn't perfect, but he saw us through what could've been a calamity, got the economy humming, and still got something done on healthcare.That's A LOT.

Is it saved? Income disparity is worse than ever. New jobs being created pay much less than the jobs we lost. I'm not sure this economy is sustainable, frankly. Not in a way people want anyway.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#22 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:59 PM

Is it saved? Income disparity is worse than ever. New jobs being created pay much less than the jobs we lost. I'm not sure this economy is sustainable, frankly. Not in a way people want anyway.

I think all of these problems sound better than what looked like it would happen during his term.

#23 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,796 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:03 PM

In any event, I want a President that gets things done. Moves us forward. Brings his power to helping more liberals get elected all over the nation. Maybe that's a pipe dream......

Oh, and that can convince older liberal SCOTUS members o resign early in his term, so he can replace them. Sigh. 

#24 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• 3,742 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:11 PM

In any event, I want a President that gets things done. Moves us forward. Brings his power to helping more liberals get elected all over the nation. Maybe that's a pipe dream......

Oh, and that can convince older liberal SCOTUS members o resign early in his term, so he can replace them. Sigh.

I'm not as tied to electing liberals as I am against electing Trumpy republicans. I'm curious how partisan the next scotus nomination will be if done by a Democrat.... Will they be rejected by the Mitch McConnell led Senate?
Do or do not. There is no try.

#25 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:57 PM

It's important how we explore that then.I'd like to move the general conversation further left, but I'd rather leave the meat of policy moving for AFTER we win.I'm all about Republican losses - the fact that every new candidate gets a public leftist purity test really, really bugs me.And it works against Republicans losing, it does their work for them.

But that (worry about liberal bonafides) was always going to happen.It's just twitter-verse that brings it to the forefront, now that liberal isn't a dirty word. 

I think this goes on the right, but with far, far more inflammatory, hard-line rhetoric. 

#26 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:02 PM

But that (worry about liberal bonafides) was always going to happen.It's just twitter-verse that brings it to the forefront, now that liberal isn't a dirty word. 

I think this goes on the right, but with far, far more inflammatory, hard-line rhetoric. 

It absolutely does.In fact, that toxin I think was brought up by right wing radio and infected Republicans.  

I'd rather the same not happen to the other party too.

#27 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:31 PM

It absolutely does.In fact, that toxin I think was brought up by right wing radio and infected Republicans.  

I'd rather the same not happen to the other party too.

I don't think it will.The most extreme voices just rise to the top in world of social media, where everything gets retweeted/shared.I think all the 2020 candidates will eventually have the support of even the Bernie Bros.I know more moderates who didn't vote for Clinton (or Trump) b/c of their personal dislike, than I do liberals, but that's just anecdotal. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

#28 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:10 PM

#29 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,748 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:31 PM

Trump is making fun of Beto's hand gestures. Your move, Beto. Tick tock. :)

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#30 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,959 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:54 PM

Beto is turning into a cult hero in Texas for sure. And now he's building his #brand across the country. He's got the charisma and personality to win over some swing voters.

I would think he'd benefit greatly from a 'proven closer' political veteran on his side like Biden.

I would take Beto 10 times out of 10 over Bernie Bros.

#31 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,875 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:46 PM

Yeah I'm sure those SCOTUS justices won't bristle at all over a President trying to trample over separation of branches, which is what even a gentle nudge towards retirement, for party benefit, would be.

#32 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,796 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:21 PM

Yeah I'm sure those SCOTUS justices won't bristle at all over a President trying to trample over separation of branches, which is what even a gentle nudge towards retirement, for party benefit, would be.

If you are a liberal, and care about the country, and you are really old.... Well, I'd retire for the good of the world. If RBG dies in the next two years, we're screwed. For decades. But then, I'm not a SCOTUS....

#33 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:26 PM

I don't think it will.The most extreme voices just rise to the top in world of social media, where everything gets retweeted/shared.I think all the 2020 candidates will eventually have the support of even the Bernie Bros.I know more moderates who didn't vote for Clinton (or Trump) b/c of their personal dislike, than I do liberals, but that's just anecdotal. 

People used to call Coulter and Rush and those guys the extremes as well.Until their messaging started being used by the President.  

What I'm talking about isn't an independent/moderate problem.It's that if you allow the loud extremes to steer the party, they'll likely steer it WAY off course.One of the things circa the early 2000s that I thought was really dangerous on the right was the invention of the "Rhino" and the demonization of independents as wishy/washy, believe-in-nothings.

I hear echos of the same right now.I hope it doesn't evolve into the same kind of beast the right created.

Edited by TheLeviathan, 14 March 2019 - 07:27 PM.

#34 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,796 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:30 PM

Oddly, the right won with those people leading the way, and have many of their policies passed. Maybe liberals should learn some things from them. Though I share your distaste

#35 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:39 PM

Oddly, the right won with those people leading the way, and have many of their policies passed. Maybe liberals should learn some things from them. Though I share your distaste

Yes, but I'm not sure it's sustainable either.I think we are approaching a breaking point.

#36 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,748 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:39 PM

I hear echos of the same right now.I hope it doesn't evolve into the same kind of beast the right created.

Healthy leeriness of the cozy relationship the establishment wing of the DNC has developed over the decades with big business is hardly the extreme POV you are describing.

If I lived in Iraq I'd be afraid of the power of Big Gubmint. Here in the US, I am more concerned with the power of unelected business interests when not counterbalanced by government power.

• Brock Beauchamp, PseudoSABR and NumberThree like this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#37 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,875 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:41 PM

If you are a liberal, and care about the country, and you are really old.... Well, I'd retire for the good of the world. If RBG dies in the next two years, we're screwed. For decades. But then, I'm not a SCOTUS....

Yes. But that is a personal decision. The President trying to persuade such a decision would likely backfire, big time.

#38 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:43 PM

Healthy leeriness of the cozy relationship the establishment wing of the DNC has developed over the decades with big business is hardly the extreme POV you are describing.

If I lived in Iraq I'd be afraid of the power of Big Gubmint. Here in the US, I am more concerned with the power of unelected business interests when not counterbalanced by government power.

But that's not really my complaint.Criticize that relationship all you want, but cut out the purity test angle.It'll harden people towards the fringes and that's not good.

#39 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,748 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:45 PM

If RBG dies in the next two years, we're screwed.

Correction. If she dies in 2020, Mitch McConnell will refuse to bring a nominee to the floor of the Senate for hearings or debate or vote, in deference to allowing the American people to have their voice heard in the November elections.

SlipperyFlatBluetonguelizard-small.gif

• Brock Beauchamp, PseudoSABR and Mr. Brooks like this

#40 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:46 PM

People used to call Coulter and Rush and those guys the extremes as well.Until their messaging started being used by the President.  

What I'm talking about isn't an independent/moderate problem.It's that if you allow the loud extremes to steer the party, they'll likely steer it WAY off course.One of the things circa the early 2000s that I thought was really dangerous on the right was the invention of the "Rhino" and the demonization of independents as wishy/washy, believe-in-nothings.

Who is the Coulter and Rush of the left?

There's nothing like Fox News and Clear Channel pushing an ideology from the top down on the left. (MSNBC certainly panders to liberals, but I doubt that's a dictate of NBC ownership).  

There's simply not a concerted effort to create a purity test on the left.That people want to pull the party to the left is fine, and from my pov a good thing.  

Edited by PseudoSABR, 14 March 2019 - 08:00 PM.