Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins 2019 Position Analysis: Right Field

max kepler alex kirilloff trevor larnach jake cave
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,870 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 March 2019 - 05:35 PM

I’m not sure that jibes with reality. A right fielder running toward center field is going to have his left ear closer to the center fielder on plays over his head. His right ear would be closer only on plays in front of him - when he should be able to see the center fielder.

Great question for Cuddy next time you're at a player panel. :)

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.

#22 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,849 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:42 PM

My only comment is I'm a fan and believer in Kepler. Always have been, though I was disappointed he didn't have his breakthrough in 2018...which I thought he might. Weird splits, ups and downs and lack of consistency aside, I see a tremendous athlete with power/power potential, a good eye, and a smooth and quick stroke that still tells me it's going to "click" for him. Very interesting he commented recently that perhaps he was being too patient waiting for a pitch, then not seeing another one he liked, and being more focused on just being aggressive this spring. I still believe everything is there to hit at least .270 and higher, while still making contact and having a quality OB with 20+HR power. Is 2019 his year? I sure hope so.
  • Nick Nelson likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#23 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,551 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:56 PM

While I think there is some truth to this, I can't help but picture that highlight from last year of Kepler catching a lace with his cleats and falling flat on his face out in right. Poise, grace and pure athleticism...

Even Fred Astaire could slip and fall. It was just very, very unlikely. Same goes for Roger Federer, Lionel Messi, etc. They too can slip and fall. But the rest of us will slip and fall a lot more often. 

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#24 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,551 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:58 PM

There's a reason ballet dancers wear slippers. All blame goes to the maker of baseball cleat shoelaces.

Imagine Daniel Day Lewis running through the forest in baseball cleats. Oh, the humanity!

• Platoon likes this
The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#25 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,139 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:23 AM

My quick take ... and you may get many :) ...

In an ideal world you have 3 center fielders, and you put them wherever you want. In the real but still-near ideal world, you pick the best all-around guy for CF, and then you pick one guy with a CF arm but not quite the speed to play the position, and let him play RF, for the reason of the throw to 3B you mention. You take the other guy who has the speed to play center but lacks the arm, and put him in left, again with the throw to 3B in mind. ("Arm" includes both the strength and the accuracy, and perhaps when forced to choose, you choose the latter as the better arm.)

In even less ideal situations, such as a plodding no-arm guy, it might not really matter which corner you stick him in, and will depend on the strengths of your other corner candidate.

I think RF gets about as many total chances as LF.

There are no absolutes. Michael Cuddyer is deaf in his left ear, so he played RF, the better to hear his partner in center. We had the fairly recent experience of watching rag-armed Ben Revere do OK in RF for a time, because Josh Willingham was signed with RF in mind and then during Spring Training it was learned he wanted to stay in left, and the team went with the veteran's wishes. Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

I would note that we also were subjected to R. Grossman in RF, yet another situation where the guy with the arm (Rosario) was left in place. And Willingham in LF because of 'veteran deference'? Sort of like Dozier leading off. Putting players in positions they prefer vs positions that help you win is one of the reasons you are no longer managing a MLB team. And rightfully so.
  • ashbury likes this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#26 chaderic20

chaderic20

• 67 posts
  • LocationWaukee, IA

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:09 PM

I think the defensive stats should be taken with a grain of salt. They spiked mostly b/c Buxton wasn't in center (same happened for Eddie in LF). If Buxton is playing CF full time next year, Kepler's defensive value will probably revert closer to his 2016-2017 numbers.

One could actually argue that Buxton being out showed Kepler's and Rosario's true defensive value.When Buck is in, those two don't get as many chances and so their defensive metrics go down.But when Buck is out, those two get more chances, and they show what they are truly capable of.Just because the metrics go down when Buck is in doesn't mean Kepler/Rosario are actually worse fielders.I'd say it simply means they are getting less opportunity to show their true capabilities.

• DocBauer and chpettit19 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: max kepler, alex kirilloff, trevor larnach, jake cave