Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins 2019 Position Analysis: Center Field

byron buxton max kepler jake cave
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 06:46 PM

That Tanner English is "depth" is kinda depressing.

.233/.313/.417 for an outfielder, any outfielder, is NEVER "appealing". The whole modern day acceptance of center fielders and catchers and shortstops being bad hitters, and that is acceptable even with elite fielding, is hogwash. Every MLB player, when all they do is play baseball, needs to aspire and acheive hitting and fielding. For a line like that to be 'more appealing' in center than right is just settling for mediocrity.

It may not be appealing, but it is reality for half the league. There were 14 qualified center fielders with an OPS higher than .730 in 2018.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#22 adorduan

adorduan

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 07:40 PM

It may not be appealing, but it is reality for half the league. There were 14 qualified center fielders with an OPS higher than .730 in 2018.

Shouldn't we be looking for better than league average with Buxton? if all he is is a career .730 OPS guy, that will be disappointing... He's supposed to be a star.

#23 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,940 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:19 PM

A few thoughts, rather than a bunch of quoting:

1] Agree with Thrylos in regard to Badoo and Keirsey. Not sure about Kerrigan.

2] Really thought/hoped/predicted English was going to surpass Granite last season. Then they both had bad years. I think English still has potential, but he needs a healthy and productive 2019 or he will not only be passed, but probably gone.

3] While a bit of a question mark, especially after battling injuries in 2018, I wouldn't fall asleep on Aaron Whitefield. If we are talking talent and potential, this kid has to be included.

4] I don't buy Lewis in CF, though I'm sure he could do very well there. I just don't see why he can't stick at SS with time and ironing out a few things. Further, even if the very talented Javier were to be the better option, Lewis could potentially move to 3B rather than the OF, (as could Javier potentially in a reverse scenario). Potentially, either of them could make for an outstanding overall 3B with defense and offense rather than a move to the OF where it seems the Twins have a lot of nice options.

Lastly, Buxton himself. Despite potential, will he ever achieve the potential he has, and others have speculated he has? Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe his close to 2017 was merely an illusion. But please don't let "potential" and a horrible and cluster-filled 2018 season cloud real possibility. Hunter wasn't Hunter for a couple of seasons. Painful reminder or not, examine Aaron Hicks, as was brought up, and what he has done, or Gomez, also rushed, and then moved on before a series of some nice seasons elsewhere.

Muscled up now or not, Buxton had pretty good power beforehand. He has game changing speed and defense. Touched on, but i will expand, if he only hits .250-.260 and isn't a SO windmill, be can be an All Star and game changer. Hitting .270-.280 he can be elite.

I think his anger and disappointment has transformed to determination. Knock on wood for good luck/karma that weird and nagging injuries are mostly behind him, I think he's poised for a very nice season...even if his touching his ceiling is still a year or two away.
  • Thrylos, h2oface and bunt_vs_the_shift like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#24 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:28 AM

A few thoughts, rather than a bunch of quoting:

1] Agree with Thrylos in regard to Badoo and Keirsey. Not sure about Kerrigan.

2] Really thought/hoped/predicted English was going to surpass Granite last season. Then they both had bad years. I think English still has potential, but he needs a healthy and productive 2019 or he will not only be passed, but probably gone.

3] While a bit of a question mark, especially after battling injuries in 2018, I wouldn't fall asleep on Aaron Whitefield. If we are talking talent and potential, this kid has to be included.

4] I don't buy Lewis in CF, though I'm sure he could do very well there. I just don't see why he can't stick at SS with time and ironing out a few things. Further, even if the very talented Javier were to be the better option, Lewis could potentially move to 3B rather than the OF, (as could Javier potentially in a reverse scenario). Potentially, either of them could make for an outstanding overall 3B with defense and offense rather than a move to the OF where it seems the Twins have a lot of nice options.

Lastly, Buxton himself. Despite potential, will he ever achieve the potential he has, and others have speculated he has? Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe his close to 2017 was merely an illusion. But please don't let "potential" and a horrible and cluster-filled 2018 season cloud real possibility. Hunter wasn't Hunter for a couple of seasons. Painful reminder or not, examine Aaron Hicks, as was brought up, and what he has done, or Gomez, also rushed, and then moved on before a series of some nice seasons elsewhere.

Muscled up now or not, Buxton had pretty good power beforehand. He has game changing speed and defense. Touched on, but i will expand, if he only hits .250-.260 and isn't a SO windmill, be can be an All Star and game changer. Hitting .270-.280 he can be elite.

I think his anger and disappointment has transformed to determination. Knock on wood for good luck/karma that weird and nagging injuries are mostly behind him, I think he's poised for a very nice season...even if his touching his ceiling is still a year or two away.

Moving Lewis to 3B would be awful asset management. His best tool is his speed. This would be like converting Mike Trout into a pitcher.
  • jkcarew likes this

#25 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:48 AM

I'm going to draft him for the 3rd straight season in my fantasy league. No way I'm letting someone else get him after I've suffered so much over the past 2 years.

#26 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,124 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:24 AM

Shouldn't we be looking for better than league average with Buxton? if all he is is a career .730 OPS guy, that will be disappointing... He's supposed to be a star.

That post was about the backup to the backup to the backup numbers.......not Buxton....

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#27 jkcarew

jkcarew

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:19 AM

I think of the offensive floor for a CF with elite defensive value as being Gary Pettis. (Sadly, only useful for those that remember Pettis. I'm old.) In his prime, Pettis was OPS+'ing 90-ish...or, if you prefer, was wRC+'ing mid 80's to low 90's. That's basically what Buxton was in 2016 and 2017 (Pettis more OBP/stolen bases, Buxton more SLG). Of course Pettis played 150 games/year in his prime, but a theoretical healthy Buxton doesn't have to be much better than that to add value to a contending team. I'm still reasonably confident he can be that good or better.

The disappointing part of that is...if he doesn't develop offense significantly better than that, his career won't be very long. As soon as one loses the elite speed/range in CF, that level of offense is relatively easy to replace in CF, and it doesn't play in the corners.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: byron buxton, max kepler, jake cave