Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Potential changes to the MLB

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 Shaitan

Shaitan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 956 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:57 PM

No more August waiver trade deadline! This is good.

Now teams can tank even earlier and, when the Twins are below .500, the season is over even sooner. I don't get how this one helps the league.

#42 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,824 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:16 PM

Now teams can tank even earlier and, when the Twins are below .500, the season is over even sooner. I don't get how this one helps the league.

Personally I never liked the 2 deadline dates... It made July 31st pretty anticlimactic the last couple of years. The August waiver wire deadline was weird and mostly used to block players from being traded to a division rival or whatever.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#43 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,189 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 03:38 PM

Personally I never liked the 2 deadline dates... It made July 31st pretty anticlimactic the last couple of years. The August waiver wire deadline was weird and mostly used to block players from being traded to a division rival or whatever.

Yeah, that was always an interesting aspect. Multiple teams show interest, you pull the player back...maybe. What will be more interesting in teams making a claim. Of course, freeing up roster space can include a player...but this means a team doesn't have to work out a trade or anything. Pure dump. Also interesting on setting rosters for the playoffs.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#44 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,763 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:23 PM

I sorta dig this "Election Day" idea for all star starters.It's an interesting twist that I hope is really successful and hyped.

#45 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:01 PM

Regarding #2, I think the biggest plus is that it will be slightly safer for the pitcher. On the other hand, giving the batter a bit longer to size up the pitch may mean more line drives up the middle. It's hard to know, which of course is exactly why experiments are performed.

I think this will be a much bigger adjustment for the pitchers than the batters and catchers. (I was going to include umpires but then I remembered #1.)

How is this even possible to just change the distance from the mound to home plate MID-SEASON?!!!

I agree with the posters that say this is going to create more injuries as people try to adjust and compensate. Two feet doesn't sound like a lot but for someone who has pitched for 20 years at one distance to suddenly have to adjust?

And again MID-SEASON?!!!! Why not change the base paths to 82 feet or move the fences out 10 feet if they are going to try this customizable video game bull ****?

MID-SEASON!!!!!!

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#46 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 20,566 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:38 AM

Less than 10K per year? Does she pay her own work related expenses too?

I'm not saying that ballplayers don't make a choice....but there is a monopoly of 30 teams, rolling in billions of dollars virtually risk free, not paying employees. Did you know that non roster catchers get paid zero dollars in spring training? Working for major league teams that need someone to catch all the pitchers?

I agree with you Mike. 

Here's an article for all to read. 

https://www.sbnation...mericas-pastime

On page 1,967 of a 2,232 page 1.3 trillion omnibus bill. Section 13(a) of the Fair Labor Standards Act was amended to exempt minor league baseball players (Just Minor League Baseball Players... they are specifically singled out) from a class of workers entitled to minimum wage and overtime pay. 

I repeat... Page 1,967 or a 2,232 page omnibus bill. This was done under the cover of darkness by simply attaching it to the bill without discussion. It was discussed prior and rejected.

MLB Baseball purchased a couple of Senators.These are not normal Internship type arguments. 

This is bull crap. 

• nicksaviking likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#47 cardsfan

cardsfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:51 AM

Two way players rule is unnecessary and 13 max pitchers. Ohtani is listed as a pitcher until he bats in 20 games then the Angels can have him designated as position player.

Edited by cardsfan, 15 March 2019 - 07:53 AM.

#48 Shaitan

Shaitan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 956 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:00 AM

Two way players rule is unnecessary and 13 max pitchers. Ohtani is listed as a pitcher until he bats in 20 games then the Angels can have him designated as position player.

What about a P in the NL. When they get 20 AB does their "position" change?

I don't like that aspect at all. If a team wants to carry 15 pitchers, let them. They're the ones who have to deal with no bench.

In short, if a rule change raises more questions than it answers, it's probably a bad rule. Simplicity is good is baseball. If you want "what ifs" watch the NFL.

I'm curious if the 26-person roster rule changes for doubleheaders (and, similarly, the 13 pitchers rule).

Edited by Shaitan, 15 March 2019 - 08:01 AM.

#49 cardsfan

cardsfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:21 PM

I don't like that aspect at all. If a team wants to carry 15 pitchers, let them. They're the ones who have to deal with no bench.

In short, if a rule change raises more questions than it answers, it's probably a bad rule. Simplicity is good is baseball. If you want "what ifs" watch the NFL.

I'm curious if the 26-person roster rule changes for doubleheaders (and, similarly, the 13 pitchers rule).

What this means Ohtani can bat DH for 20 games, but, in the NL without DH I don’t think pinch hitting counts as a game. So would the pitcher be selected in away game and then remove in bottom of 1st where a replacement takes over. You would have to do this 20 games x 3 ABs.

Need more info. Ohtani will be DH on days he doesn’t pitch in 2020. He isn’t pitching this year.

See: https://www.latimes....0314-story.html

Edited by cardsfan, 15 March 2019 - 02:25 PM.