Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Potential changes to the MLB

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:52 AM

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet or not but the MLB is contemplating some changes to the game.

http://www.espn.com/...atlantic-league

• Using a TrackMan radar system to help umpires call balls and strikes
• Extending the distance between the pitching rubber from 60 feet, 6 inches to 62 feet, 6 inches in the second half of the season
• Mandating that two infielders are on each side of the second-base bag when a pitch is released, with the penalty being a ball
• A three-batter minimum for pitchers -- a rule MLB and the MLB Players Association are considering for the 2020 season as they near an agreement on a smaller set of changes
• No mound visits, other than for pitching changes or injuries
• Increasing the size of first, second and third base from 15 inches to 18 inches
• Reducing the time between innings and pitching changes from 2 minutes, 5 seconds to 1 minute, 45 seconds

What does everyone think?

Edited by SF Twins Fan, 08 March 2019 - 11:53 AM.

• nicksaviking, Monkeypaws and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#2 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,024 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:48 PM

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet or not but the MLB is contemplating some changes to the game.

http://www.espn.com/...atlantic-league

1. Using a TrackMan radar system to help umpires call balls and strikes
2. Extending the distance between the pitching rubber from 60 feet, 6 inches to 62 feet, 6 inches in the second half of the season
3. Mandating that two infielders are on each side of the second-base bag when a pitch is released, with the penalty being a ball
4. A three-batter minimum for pitchers -- a rule MLB and the MLB Players Association are considering for the 2020 season as they near an agreement on a smaller set of changes
5. No mound visits, other than for pitching changes or injuries
6. Increasing the size of first, second and third base from 15 inches to 18 inches
7. Reducing the time between innings and pitching changes from 2 minutes, 5 seconds to 1 minute, 45 seconds

What does everyone think?

1. Yes!

2. This will be the most interesting part of the experiment.

3-6. No.

7. Yes!

#3 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 10,068 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:00 PM

Other than the first and the last, which are great, the rest are unnecessary with a couple (#2 and #6) plain dangerous.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#4 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 10,434 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:00 PM

1. Yes!

2. This will be the most interesting part of the experiment.

3-6. No.

7. Yes!

That's probably how I would come down on these.

I can understand why people are resistant to the automated strike zone, but, if implemented well, there will be no change in how the game looks. The umpire would get the signal privately and it will simply look like he is calling a good game. And frankly, I wouldn't want it until that is doable. And I am honestly starting to doubt whether MLB is competent enough to implement it properly without screwing it up or making a scene of it. I guess an amateur league is a good place to try it out. 

Changing the distance from the rubber to the plate seems bizarre. Seems like it would add offense and action, but also continue to lengthen games. 

• Mike Sixel and SF Twins Fan like this

#5 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 600 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:12 PM

Other than the first and the last, which are great, the rest are unnecessary with a couple (#2 and #6) plain dangerous.

How is increasing the bases dangerous? It should decrease any collisions - especially at 1st.

• nicksaviking, PseudoSABR, Hosken Bombo Disco and 1 other like this

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,177 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:14 PM

Sounds fun! Not all of these things will happen, but I think it's awesome they're getting to set up a science lab with an independent league. I'm really interested in hearing the results.

Interesting that the moved pitching rubber is only going to be in place for half of a season. They must be using that as a variable against the other changes.

• PseudoSABR, SF Twins Fan and Nine of twelve like this

#7 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 600 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:15 PM

That's probably how I would come down on these.

I can understand why people are resistant to the automated strike zone, but, if implemented well, there will be no change in how the game looks. The umpire would get the signal privately and it will simply look like he is calling a good game. And frankly, I wouldn't want it until that is doable. And I am honestly starting to doubt whether MLB is competent enough to implement it properly without screwing it up or making a scene of it. I guess an amateur league is a good place to try it out. 

Changing the distance from the rubber to the plate seems bizarre. Seems like it would add offense and action, but also continue to lengthen games. 

I agree 100% one #1.

For #2 I'd rather see them decrease the height of the mound, which should decrease some of the pitchers advantage vs increasing the distance from the plate.

• Hosken Bombo Disco and Nine of twelve like this

#8 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,177 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:20 PM

I agree 100% one #1.

For #2 I'd rather see them decrease the height of the mound, which should decrease some of the pitchers advantage vs increasing the distance from the plate.

Well if the Atlantic League is willing, maybe that's tested next year. Unless someone's a die-hard Atlantic League fan, I don't know why anyone would be against experimenting in this manner to see what works and what doesn't.

I'd love it if they had instead picked the American Association so I could check it out for myself.

#9 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 10,068 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 08 March 2019 - 02:39 PM

How is increasing the bases dangerous? It should decrease any collisions - especially at 1st.

sprained ankles, more uneven surfaces to run, more surface for ball to have funny bounces etc.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#10 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 04:51 PM

Regarding #2, I think the biggest plus is that it will be slightly safer for the pitcher. On the other hand, giving the batter a bit longer to size up the pitch may mean more line drives up the middle. It's hard to know, which of course is exactly why experiments are performed.

I think this will be a much bigger adjustment for the pitchers than the batters and catchers. (I was going to include umpires but then I remembered #1.)

#11 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 04:58 PM

The kid leagues in which my sons played had a first base that was twice as wide, bisected by the foul line. The defenders were to use only the portion in fair territory and the batter-runner only the portion in foul territory.

• Sconnie, Hosken Bombo Disco, tarheeltwinsfan and 1 other like this

#12 cardsfan

cardsfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 05:59 PM

Three batter rule or the end of the inning. If pitcher catches someone stealing that counts as one.

#13 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 07:21 PM

I like 4 and 5 more than most, it seems.I don't mind the depth of the LOOGY to speed up the game.

#14 Jacksson

Jacksson

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 07:30 PM

Twins are pushing for a rule change that when the Twins play the Yankees, the Yankees are: #1 not allowed to wear pinstripe uniforms, #2 only are allowed a 12 man game roster and #3 the Twins can use 12 men on the field.

#15 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:31 PM

Would adding the TrackMan radar add time or speed up the game?

Now, for my old-man-yells-at-cloud moment, can they also discuss getting rid of instant replay?

I think these proposals are all pretty reasonable compared to other ideas that have been floated. I don't like the 3 batter limit or the penalty system, but it's not up to me. (And it's not like the sport doesn't already have penalties for balks and HBP.)

#16 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:34 PM

#4, #5 & #7 emphatic yes! 

especially #5 & #7.

#17 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:11 PM

Considering the motion of pitches moving the mound in the middle of the season I think would totally mess up release points and mechanics.

• Oldgoat_MN and terrydactyls1947 like this

#18 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,009 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 09 March 2019 - 06:47 AM

Twins are pushing for a rule change that when the Twins play the Yankees, the Yankees are: #1 not allowed to wear pinstripe uniforms, #2 only are allowed a 12 man game roster and #3 the Twins can use 12 men on the field.

Allowing the Yankees any more than a maximum of 8 men would be fatal for our boys. Also, Yankees not allowed to throw their gloves unto the field prior to the game, as that generally is all that is required for yet another embarrassment of the Twinks! :(
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#19 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,475 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:36 AM

I have almost no beforehand opinion on any of the ideas, given the knowledge they will be tried out in live tests. I can wait to second-guess, just like any fan. :) But more seriously, it's great to try them out, and we'll have some info to work with in a few months.

I doubt the time between innings is due to players dawdling, the current amount of time being for advertisers, so I'm dubious what we'll learn from that particular change in an independent league.

It is amazing how many eggs one can break without making a decent omelet.

#20 rv78

rv78

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:32 AM

#1 and #3 yes. 

1.Anything to get the umpires to call a better more accurate game would be good. They need help.

3.Don't like the shifts. The game was created with 2 infielders on each side of the diamond. Let's restore it back to the way it was intended to be played.

The rest No.

2.This is just crazy. Sounds like a good way to screw up pitching mechanics and increase the number of pitchers with injuries. Don't we have enough of that already?

4.Takes away from an important strategy of lefty vs lefty or righty vs righty. 

5.The current system of limited mound visits is working. Most teams don't use all they are allowed. However, the Manager should be able to change pitchers without having to go to the mound. Just signal from the dugout he's changing pitchers and let it happen.

6.Don't see the reason. 

7.Is 20 seconds really going to make much of a difference? If you want to speed up the game make the batter stay in the box in-between pitches and require the pitcher to throw the next pitch within 10 seconds after getting the ball unless there are runners on base.

Edited by rv78, 09 March 2019 - 08:36 AM.