Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Have Managed Just Fine Without Sano in the Past

miguel sano byron buxton jorge polanco max kepler eddie rosario
  • Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 584 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:44 AM

It's quite, quite interesting to see the numbers and in particular the bar graph. It does make us all breathe a little easier I hope. Still, and not intending to toss a wrench into the gears here, I also think it's tough to draw definitive conclusions due to the truncated samples for both Sano and Buxton (i.e., how much can those records be attributed to those players' absence/presence in the lineup and what other factors may have contributed to the wins and losses).

#22 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,734 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:48 AM

I like Sano's chances of rebounding this year, but I did not like the narrative that this team was hoping that Buxton and Sano would finally emerge and carry this team to glory.

They can find other ways to win than through Buxton and Sano. I hate to see anyone injured, but this is OK, I really want the team forced to build an entire team, not just a group of guys on top of two pillars which we have to cross our fingers that they can hold the weight.

Then when Sano comes back and starts crushing the leftfield seats, that's just bonus.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#23 Knuckleball9

Knuckleball9

Elizabethton Twins

• 19 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:52 AM

I kinda get the feeling Sano is just waiting to be on a different team.

#24 caninatl04

caninatl04

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 737 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:17 AM

David HK wrote:

"Yet another guy with all the God-given talent in the world, and letting it go to waste."

Hey!

Stop picking on me!

Regards,

Andrew Wiggins

• Taildragger8791 likes this

#25 jtkoupal

jtkoupal

• 378 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:36 AM

I'm not too concerned about the temporary loss of Sanó. Marwin Gonzalez will see a lot of time at third base in the early going. In fact, I can envision a scenario where Marwin spends a lot of time at third base later in the season too, as I don't think it's out of the question that Sanó will start to spend some more time at first as the season progresses.

#26 jtkoupal

jtkoupal

• 378 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:36 AM

Who knows, maybe this will get Willians Astudillo on the OD roster after all!

#27 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• 959 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:46 AM

David HK wrote:

"Yet another guy with all the God-given talent in the world, and letting it go to waste."

Hey!

Stop picking on me!

Regards,

Andrew Wiggins

Funny, but I wouldn't even compare those two. Wiggins has amazing natural athleticism that is perfectly tuned for basketball, but he doesn't actually have NBA-level basketball talent at essential things like shooting or dribbling. The only thing being wasted there is Glen's money and KAT's prime.

#28 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,714 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:02 AM

You have to feel sorry for the kid, not being able to harness all that talent, but somehow he always seems to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.   

We all have friends or people we know that seem to always "be in the wrong place at the wrong time".I've concluded that isn't just bad luck. In my experience, the people who fit that description tend not to be very focused or "in the moment" and tend to let events control them rather than the other way around. I honestly think that's Sano. He is blessed with a lot of talent, didn't have to focus much coming up, and doesn't really see the connection between bad choices made without much thought (his diet, lack of off season training) and results later (can't move or hit well because he's overweight/rusty at the plate). 

The hopeful news is that this type of person can rapidly and greatly improve "when the light goes on" and they start to connect daily life with long term results and take control of their own lives. I think Sano is starting to get it so I'm optimistic. 

• birdwatcher, Riverbrian and Blackjack like this

#29 joefish

joefish

• 107 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:07 AM

It was agonizing to watch Morneau try to play his way through his post-concussion era as a Twin. I believed that we were better off without him on the field. His struggles took a toll on everyone. I dont want to agonize over Sano.
"That's all I can stands, and I can't stands no more!"

#30 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,128 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:20 AM

I can't say I'm surprised at this finding. My nickname for him is "The Big Whiff." I have a feeling that I'm not going to enjoy watching this year's Twins very much: K, K, BB, HR, K ... in a good inning.

"Hey. We're only down 7-2 and it's only the 3rd. Hope Ryne Harper can keep it close."

#31 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 957 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:34 AM

You have to feel sorry for the kid, not being able to harness all that talent, but somehow he always seems to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.   

Yeah, just tripping and fumbling right into the back hallway of Apple stores.It's the Twins fault for not getting him a service dog who can see better.  

C'mon!

#32 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 957 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:39 AM

Who knows, maybe this will get Willians Astudillo on the OD roster after all!

I'm hoping for a modern day, completely unconventional and successful Wally Pipp-type story to unfold

#33 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• 4,945 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:46 AM

I see a few possibilities, besides the likely one that it's just an outlier:

1) Defense at third is worth WAY more than we suspect. I like the odds on this one, because I think we have poor metrics on defense, and a poor theory on how the metrics translate to run prevention and to wins.

2) Large numbers of strikeouts are more damaging than we suspect. I can think of a few examples of teams that outperform expectations by striking out less (recent Royals and Astros champions), but that is anecdotal.

3) Extra-base hits given too much weight in run-creation and win-creation models. RC, the basis of WAR, would seem to account for this. But maybe there are factors (e.g. opportunity cost of outs) that are not well-calculated

Could also be coincidental to other players performing better in those periods.

Correlation does not necessarily mean causation
  • KirbyDome89 likes this

#34 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,837 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:58 AM

IMO the W-L record doesn't mean much of anything over those years. All of those rosters suffered from underperformance and a lack of talent, especially on the pitching side. There are much better measures of Sano's value to this team; using the W-L record over the last 4 seasons seems a bit disingenuous. 

• Puckett34 and Sconnie like this

#35 spycake

spycake

• 16,552 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:11 PM

I'm hoping for a modern day, completely unconventional and successful Wally Pipp-type story to unfold

Hopefully this story eventually diverges from Pipp-Gehrig, though!

*dark humor warning*

Astudillo, 2033: "Today, I consider myself, the luckiest tortuga on the face of the earth..."

Edited by spycake, 06 March 2019 - 12:51 PM.

• Sconnie and MMMordabito like this

#36 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 957 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:13 PM

Hopefully this story eventually diverges from Pipp-Gehrig, though!

I certainly don't want to wish ALS on the man.That would be horrible.

• spycake likes this

#37 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,176 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:44 AM

Possibly it has something to do with batting 4th or 5th in a lineup...after the best table setters...and then striking out at a very high rate, stopping potential run scoring rallies and not advancing runners. 

• Taildragger8791 likes this

#38 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 21,977 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:09 AM

We all have friends or people we know that seem to always "be in the wrong place at the wrong time".I've concluded that isn't just bad luck. In my experience, the people who fit that description tend not to be very focused or "in the moment" and tend to let events control them rather than the other way around. I honestly think that's Sano. He is blessed with a lot of talent, didn't have to focus much coming up, and doesn't really see the connection between bad choices made without much thought (his diet, lack of off season training) and results later (can't move or hit well because he's overweight/rusty at the plate). 

The hopeful news is that this type of person can rapidly and greatly improve "when the light goes on" and they start to connect daily life with long term results and take control of their own lives. I think Sano is starting to get it so I'm optimistic. 

I agree... I've always assumed that baseball players are also human beings. 

As long as the front office realizes that the entire team and fan base doesn't have to stumble along in the dark waiting for him to locate the light switch. 

I'm not sure that they have realized this yet but I also assume that the front office is also made up of human beings.:)

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#39 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 01:29 PM

This is a terrible analysis because Sano played the most games in the Twins' 103 loss season.

Here's my take on Sano right now:

- It's irresponsible for a journalist to write that the wound "looks like a dog bite." First of all, the journalist surely didn't see the wound himself so he shouldn't write that. Secondly, Sano certainly didn't tell a journalist the wound looks like a dog bite. Third, the Twins are again up to their terrible innuendo-driven messaging around Sano and mouthing rubbish to reporters. We can all predict right now the next words from the team will be, gosh, Sano sure gained a lot of weight when he had that boot on his foot.

- It's unfortunate that Sano doesn't know to clean a wound, esp. on an extremity. Had spring training not started when it did, it's possible this guy would have lost his foot due to infection. He had at least two procedures now to remove infection and tissue from this wound.

- For whatever reason the Twins just don't like Sano. They should end the relationship rather than dragging this out.

Edited by Doomtints, 07 March 2019 - 01:32 PM.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#40 LaBombo

LaBombo

"Grab a bat, punk!"

• 8,283 posts
  • Location...in a galaxy far, far away...

Posted 07 March 2019 - 03:41 PM

I only had time to look at the graph. So the Twins lean Republican with Sano in the lineup?

Anyway, I'm more worried that Sano will have a bad season at the plate than I am that he will have a great offensive season but seemingly not help the team win.

And more than either of those two, I'm thinking that Sano will be just ok (2016) offensively and the Twins will just be bad regardless of his contribution.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miguel sano, byron buxton, jorge polanco, max kepler, eddie rosario