Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Miguel Sano To Miss Opening Day

miguel sano injury derek falvey
  • Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#101 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 06:45 PM

I have my doubts about Sano and started a thread a while ago about it. This does appear to be an accident but I am curious if he had shoes on during this celebration. It’s too bad that he apparently worked really hard this off season and will have a delayed start. He needs all the ABs he can get to figure out how pitchers are attacking him now

#102 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,773 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 06 March 2019 - 08:28 PM

I have my doubts about Sano and started a thread a while ago about it. This does appear to be an accident but I am curious if he had shoes on during this celebration.

Suppose the answer were "flipflops". It being a celebration, well after the games were over.

How would that affect your view of things?

• glunn likes this

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into. -- Jonathan Swift

#103 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 08:33 PM

Suppose the answer were "flipflops". It being a celebration, well after the games were over.

How would that affect your view of things?

Good question. I’m conflicted about this situation but am concerned that no matter the circumstances he is losing chances to advance his skills which is clearly necessary

#104 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,773 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 06 March 2019 - 08:38 PM

Good question.

I asked only because an old boss of mine used to ask me, "what would you do with that information if you had it?" and I'd be stuck for an answer sometimes. :)

• glunn likes this

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into. -- Jonathan Swift

#105 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 08:51 PM

I asked only because an old boss of mine used to ask me, "what would you do with that information if you had it?" and I'd be stuck for an answer sometimes. :)

Yep. Miggy is a conundrum. I think he has made mistakes but not necessarily this time around. Bottom line is that he needs to be on the field to achieve his potential and that is getting harder to envision
  • NumberThree likes this

#106 D.C Twins

D.C Twins

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:52 PM

This episode adds to a now extensive body of evidence that at very least, Sano has terrible judgement which is a huge problem in and of itself. As for this story:

The chances that we are getting a full and accurate story: None.

The number of you that would wager any significant amount of money that we are receiving an accurate story: none

If you don't believe me, feel free to slip down any stairs of your choosing barefoot or not 1,000 times and see if you can manage a cut that required 12 STITCHES (that is a lot).

Now a cut from broken glass celebrating barefoot at another location?Yes that would make sense

#107 D.C Twins

D.C Twins

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:54 PM

If you think my skepticsm is revisionist history, check my post a week ago when I said he'd be out at least a month and likely longer when they were peddling the story about being back in a few days.

• Jham likes this

#108 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,450 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:08 AM

Sano update.
  • glunn likes this

#109 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:00 PM

I’m not that sort of fan. Dudes just more trouble than he’s worth. When he got fatter than half the people in the stands is when we should’ve been shopping him imo

And other teams would have wanted him at that point, why exactly?

#110 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:07 PM

And other teams would have wanted him at that point, why exactly?

Because his natural talent and power is obvious, coaches are arrogant types that think they can get to the bottom of every player, and it only takes 1 GM to believe in him.

Edited by Jham, 13 March 2019 - 07:07 PM.

#111 Foghorn Leghorn

Foghorn Leghorn

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:11 AM

Because his natural talent and power is obvious, coaches are arrogant types that think they can get to the bottom of every player, and it only takes 1 GM to believe in him.

^ this crazy thing called Potential is the reason.

Miguel-Sano-300x197.jpg

#FireRyan

#FireMolitor

#112 DrNeau

DrNeau

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Banned
  • 924 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:58 AM

Hell of a few years for Sano. 

Has titanium rod inserted into shin, gets accused of sexual battery, reports to 2018 camp at like 290 pounds, misses significant time in 2018, gets sent down to Single A ball, hits .199 for the year, runs over a cop outside of a nightclub at 3 AM and crushes the cop's bones in his legs, team implements periodic video conference sessions to ensure he's working out, gets injured during a Dominican League celebration which was initially reported as nothing but then suddenly he's having surgery and will miss months again in 2019.  

Guy needs to get his freaking act together. He is literally my favorite player, but this is all completely unacceptable BS. I thought he might get a clue after being sent down to A-Ball. Guess not. 

The team cannot continue to let this charade go on. There needs to be like a last chance notice and be wide open about it - even to the media. Other players who are working hard see all of this crap and then what? Sano will just slide back into the starting lineup? No. They need to rip him and let the other players witness some accountability. 

Edited by DrNeau, 16 March 2019 - 10:31 AM.

• ewen21 likes this

#113 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,530 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:20 AM

We don't need another David Ortiz. Park his ass on the bench. He's still cheap. The last chance notice is still several years away.

• Doomtints likes this

25% of the time you can beat anybody. 25% of the time you can't beat nobody. It's the other 50% of the time that defines you as a pitcher.

#114 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 01:36 PM

If you don't believe me, feel free to slip down any stairs of your choosing barefoot or not 1,000 times and see if you can manage a cut that required 12 STITCHES (that is a lot).

It's a big wound now because it had to be opened up to remove infection and dead tissue.

When I was 7 years old, I stepped on a nail which produced a tiny wound but it got infected deep inside. It had to be opened up to cut the infection out and only at that point did I need stitches. There was no chance for me to clean the wound as it was a puncture wound and the infection was not on the surface.

I can buy his story that a cleat caused what seemed like a minor wound which turned into an infection. If this had not happened to me, I too would be skeptical. However, I know from firsthand experience that this can happen.

As for Sano, yes he has made more than his share of bad decisions but the Twins have made bad decisions for Sano too. Twins fans shared an opinion that Carlos Gomez wasn't smart enough to play baseball and he proved us wrong. Not only did Gomez have some great peak years but he turns out to be a very nice guy who does a lot for his fans.

I think the Twins should trade Sano not because of Sano, but because of the Twins. The Twins don't know how to work with him. There is a long history of the Twins not knowing how to harness raw talent, with the Twins either breaking players by trying to change them or the Twins setting them free for a pitiful return.

• Ncgo4 likes this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#115 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 02:44 PM

We don't need another David Ortiz. Park his ass on the bench. He's still cheap. The last chance notice is still several years away.

What does benching him accomplish?

You’re going to pay him to not develop? Waste a roster spot?
  • Mike Sixel likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miguel sano, injury, derek falvey