Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Miguel Sano To Miss Opening Day

miguel sano injury derek falvey
  • Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#81 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,809 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:34 PM

Once you look at his injury history comprehensively. 

There is no reason to assume that he will be back by May.:)

Sano seems to have his own special diminished healing capabilities and I'm not stating that to be a jerk toward him. There is just very little else that can be assumed when you review his entire injury history. 

Tommy John Surgery that knocked out an entire year... A foul ball that advanced from shin soreness to a titanium golf club in his left leg. A grade one hamstring strain that took a month. A bad slide that led to a clean MRI but a puzzling knee that knocked him out for the rest of the season. And now a laceration has turned into immobilization and more significant time on the DL as a result. I'll be shocked if he is back by May and if he comes back in May... I'll be shocked if the laceration doesn't come back after two games and we end up reading Lavelle E. Neal explaining that he will be under going a skin transplant. 

If you squirt him with a squirt gun... it'll turn into Jennifer Beals in Flashdance. 

Uff Da

• glunn, Jerr and h2oface like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#82 Jacksson

Jacksson

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 01:31 AM

Willing to bet we don't see him with the MLB Twins until AFTER the All Star Break.

#83 FattCrapps

FattCrapps

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 02:32 AM

Cheryl Crow, man!

"Cheryl" Crow over P.P. Arnold?

Those are fightin' words, me boy. 

(Small Faces played on this track)

• luckylager, Sconnie and Vanimal46 like this

#84 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 04:57 AM

A few comments:

1] I get the disappointment and frustration. But some seem to feel there is a conspiracy going on. Sano, by all reports, worked very hard this offseason to get ready. None of these reports speak of malpractice or malfeasance in any way. Our TD medical expert/poster has even spoken about the situation. Bad luck, bad news, but let it go and hope for the best.

2] This makes Marwin's signing all that much better and important. But were it me, I would not pencil him in at 3B. I'd keep him in the role he was brought in for and be thinking about Astudillo as the primary 3B for now. SSS or not, I liked what I saw from him last season. I like and believe in his consistent milb career and this past winter as well. Just how good he could be we dont know. But I'd be thinking about him as the primary 3B with Gonzalez and Adrianza playing their roles.

3] I dont understand the hate for Rod Stewart. LOL Love the guy and think he's a deserved legend!

I was totally with you, all the way up to #3.
  • Sconnie, NumberThree and Nine of twelve like this

#85 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Twins Mods
  • 4,642 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 06 March 2019 - 06:13 AM

FWIW, the area of skin overlying the Achilles tendon is VERY thin (and has poorer blood supply compared to surrounding tissue) and these types of wounds (whether created surgically or by trauma) are always susceptible to healing problems. As with many things in medicine, hindsight is 20/20, but at the time of the injury it couldn't be known how things would play out. Yes, looking back, could things have been handled differently? Sure! But it's a totally different thing in hindsight than at the time the decisions needed to be made. Since the report is that a number of different physicians were consulted and a consensus was made, then I can only assume these were sound decisions that, unfortunately, didn't turn out as one would hope. Medicine is tough like that.

thanks for providing insight Heezy, always appreciate your POV
  • NumberThree and Nine of twelve like this

#86 drbob524

drbob524

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 07:15 AM

I second all the comments about the anatomy of the achilles/heel and the uncertain nature of healing of the body. Plus, I always have to remind myself, that something being "healed" and back to 100% to me and my life is very different from being "healed" and 100% to a pro athlete. 

• Heezy1323, Don Walcott, bighat and 1 other like this

#87 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,534 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 March 2019 - 07:44 AM

"Cheryl" Crow over P.P. Arnold?

Those are fightin' words, me boy.

(Small Faces played on this track)

So you like PP over Sheryl...

That don't impress ah me much!

#88 Foghorn Leghorn

Foghorn Leghorn

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 06 March 2019 - 07:52 AM

This season is going to suck, isn't it?

Why wouldn’t it? It’s another offseason of our front office not making any significant moves. Should’ve traded Sano when we had the chance. At this point he’s not worth the time...

Miguel-Sano-300x197.jpg

#FireRyan

#FireMolitor

#89 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,638 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 08:55 AM

I guess my question would be the following.
If it's not reasonable to expect this cut to have healed in the 6 weeks since it occurred, then why should we expect it will heal now?
And if the answer is that they are doing something different this time that is more likely to work, then why didn't they do this originally?

It seems like for whatever reason, they were a little lackadaisical about the injury the first time around. Perhaps they underestimated the severity of it. Which would be a shame for all involved.
  • Jerr likes this

#90 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:04 AM

Why wouldn’t it? It’s another offseason of our front office not making any significant moves. Should’ve traded Sano when we had the chance. At this point he’s not worth the time...

I love this. If we had dealt him after his rookie season (when he crushed it, with 18 HRs in 80 games) we would have been dumping a player with all-star qualities that was fully under team control who played a position of need. (who else did we have for 3B?) 

Were we supposed to dump him in 2017? He was a deserving all-star and looked like a franchise cornerstone the first half of the season...were we supposed to dump him in the middle of a pennant race? That would have gone over well. Were we supposed to deal him after the seaosn when he was rehabbing and his stock was down?

We certainly weren't going to get real value for him last year at any time or in this past off-season, so please: tell me exactly when we should have traded Sano?

You sound exactly like the sort of fan that wants us to drop 6 years/$180M on Dallas Kuechel and then will crush the FO if he doesn't win the Cy Young every year.

• birdwatcher, FattCrapps, rdehring and 2 others like this

#91 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:43 AM

@%@%$#@$@$#@!!!!

I hope this is not an omen for how the season is going to go.

• glunn likes this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#92 joefish

joefish

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:50 AM

Damned disappointing if you ask. But maybe the last time.

#93 joefish

joefish

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:55 AM

Damned disappointing if you ask. But maybe the last time.

#94 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:56 AM

If you squirt him with a squirt gun... it'll turn into Jennifer Beals in Flashdance. 

Sadly, there does not appear to be a Rod Stewart cover of "What a Feeling!"

• glunn, Mike Sixel, Riverbrian and 1 other like this

#95 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,025 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:24 PM

I don't think "sadly" means what you think it means......

• glunn, birdwatcher, Riverbrian and 3 others like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#96 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• Twins Mods
  • 23,596 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 06 March 2019 - 01:14 PM

1] I get the disappointment and frustration. But some seem to feel there is a conspiracy going on. Sano, by all reports, worked very hard this offseason to get ready. None of these reports speak of malpractice or malfeasance in any way.

What more proof of the conspiracy do you need, man? :)

• glunn and Mike Sixel like this

So, in conclusion, what was your question again?

#97 Foghorn Leghorn

Foghorn Leghorn

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 06 March 2019 - 01:37 PM

I love this. If we had dealt him after his rookie season (when he crushed it, with 18 HRs in 80 games) we would have been dumping a player with all-star qualities that was fully under team control who played a position of need. (who else did we have for 3B?)

Were we supposed to dump him in 2017? He was a deserving all-star and looked like a franchise cornerstone the first half of the season...were we supposed to dump him in the middle of a pennant race? That would have gone over well. Were we supposed to deal him after the seaosn when he was rehabbing and his stock was down?

We certainly weren't going to get real value for him last year at any time or in this past off-season, so please: tell me exactly when we should have traded Sano?

You sound exactly like the sort of fan that wants us to drop 6 years/$180M on Dallas Kuechel and then will crush the FO if he doesn't win the Cy Young every year.

I’m not that sort of fan. Dudes just more trouble than he’s worth. When he got fatter than half the people in the stands is when we should’ve been shopping him imo

Miguel-Sano-300x197.jpg

#FireRyan

#FireMolitor

#98 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,244 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 06 March 2019 - 01:53 PM

I'm with Thrylos,the young lady on the right is definitely trying too hard. The hairdo and what is that on her shirt? A bowl of soup? I'd be as mad as that bowl of soup looks if I had to listen to those two.

I'm not disagreeing with your description, I just think Rod Stewart is worse.

#99 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,809 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 06 March 2019 - 02:56 PM

There probably is... somewhere. 

• glunn likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#100 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 03:55 PM

I am sorry, but if he sufered the injury during some sort of raucous celebration (for a winter league WS) then that is sheer stupidity.I was on board with Miguel totally when I saw the pic of him and Rocco and was very complimentary of his turnaround.Call it an accident if you want, but when these "accidents" go on around him often enough at some point it ceases being a coincidence.

That is about where I am.Kid needs to wise up.

And I don't want to hear about "we were all 26 at one time"

Right.We all were.But he is in a position of amazing privilege and with that comes certain responsibilities.

That's all there is to it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miguel sano, injury, derek falvey