Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Miguel Sano To Miss Opening Day

miguel sano injury derek falvey
  • Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#61 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 05:58 PM

And some should think about who you're quickly coming to defend to the death... I used to be one of them. Not anymore. There's always something going on with Sano, always things that prevent him from being on the field, and always clouded in mystery.

I'm not defending anyone, other than against the torches.I too, would like to see Sano stay a little safer in his choices to avoid injuries, but this sounds like dumb luck.

• birdwatcher, brvama, wsnydes and 1 other like this

#62 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,824 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:46 PM

This set of notes really emphasizes how Sano has fallen in the estimation of the fan base.I do not want us to give up early like we did with David Arias - Ortiz.The narrative is hard to change and Sano has to change it, and I hope he does. 

• brvama, Sconnie, DocBauer and 1 other like this

#63 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,752 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:50 PM

*Yusuf Islam

After Cat Stevens changed his name to Yusef Islam, Didn't he change the lyrics of his famous song Moonshadow to " I'm going to go and kill Salman Rushdie, Salman Rushdie, Salman Rushdie"... A little Jihadist humor for you there.... 

#64 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,184 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:52 PM

Wishing the best for him, a full healthy recovery, and and even fuller response to his critics with the bat this season.  

The Twins are a better team with a healthy Sano than without him.Accidents, wounds, and infections happen.At least they are taking care of it.

• jorgenswest, glunn, birdwatcher and 7 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#65 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,552 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 05 March 2019 - 07:10 PM

Please, Cat Stevens wrote the song, it's got to be his version.

But kudos to everyone for not suggesting Rod Stewart.

The Rod Stewart version of any song is always the worst one.

• birdwatcher, Mike Sixel, nicksaviking and 3 others like this

#66 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,552 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 07:15 PM

But then we're just letting the millenials win!

How about this compromise: just play an instrumental version on the ballpark organ?

This reminds me of something Reusse suggested some years ago. Have a promotion called baseball only night. The scoreboard shows only text, no video. The only music is provided by the organist. 

#67 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,907 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 07:27 PM

FWIW, the area of skin overlying the Achilles tendon is VERY thin (and has poorer blood supply compared to surrounding tissue) and these types of wounds (whether created surgically or by trauma) are always susceptible to healing problems. As with many things in medicine, hindsight is 20/20, but at the time of the injury it couldn't be known how things would play out. Yes, looking back, could things have been handled differently? Sure! But it's a totally different thing in hindsight than at the time the decisions needed to be made. Since the report is that a number of different physicians were consulted and a consensus was made, then I can only assume these were sound decisions that, unfortunately, didn't turn out as one would hope. Medicine is tough like that.

I always suspected you guys were winging it.
  • birdwatcher, nicksaviking, Heezy1323 and 3 others like this

#68 Twodogs

Twodogs

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,017 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 07:33 PM

He'll be fine. Tape that **** up.
  • wabene likes this

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#69 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,184 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 05 March 2019 - 07:33 PM

I beg to differ:

• wabene likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#70 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,423 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 05 March 2019 - 07:58 PM

I'm not so sure. A lot of folks were already applauding the Gonzalez move because he was going to fill in all over. Now it's brilliant because he's going to be our primary 3B instead? Wouldn't that sap some of his perceived super-sub value?

Not that it means the Gonzalez deal is bad or anything. In fact, I argued at the time he was as much Sano insurance as a supersub, and that wasn't a bad thing.

Exactly how I feel

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#71 Aichiman

Aichiman

Elizabethton Twins

• 20 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:07 PM

I remember when Molitor had two or three years of injuries and fans in Milwaukee and Minnesota were grumbling about his fragility.Well, he's in the HOF now.Sano is still young.Let's wait and see.

• birdwatcher likes this

#72 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,423 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:21 PM

We will see but I assume Adrianaza gets the first shot at the open roster spot.

If Marwin handles 3B. Gonna need a SS
  • nicksaviking and DocBauer like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#73 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,552 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:29 PM

I beg to differ:

I stand by my original statement.

• birdwatcher likes this

#74 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,939 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:42 PM

Not sure how much longer anyone can say "it's just bad luck" for Sano.It was just bad luck that he ran over that cop last winter.Just bad luck he was accused of something by a female reporter.Just bad luck now after getting cut during a winter balll championship celebration?Honestly?What kind of celebrations are the norm in winter ball?I thought it was for conditioning and working your game.A "championship" in winter ball doesn't require champagne and dancing.  

Not sure how exactly that injury occurred, but the sky is the limit.Sounds like a really odd injury that haopened in a raucous environmnet.Poor judgment at best.

• DrNeau likes this

#75 spycake

spycake

• 17,145 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:49 PM

We will see but I assume Adrianaza gets the first shot at the open roster spot.

If Marwin handles 3B. Gonna need a SS

I think you could put Astudillo at 3B, and move Marwin over to 2B/SS when those guys need a day off.

But I agree, I suspect Adrianza will stick around.
  • lecroy24fan and Riverbrian like this

#76 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,078 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:52 PM

I stand by my original statement.

I'm with Thrylos,the young lady on the right is definitely trying too hard. The hairdo and what is that on her shirt? A bowl of soup? I'd be as mad as that bowl of soup looks if I had to listen to those two.

#77 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• 968 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:49 PM

Yeah, maybe this all works out.

Sano comes back in May, hits a ton in AAA, joins the Twins and gets plenty of ABs, remarkably hits another ton, plays solid 3B and is a model teammate, running the bases, hitting to the opposite field, not trying to pull outside curve balls.

OK. Wait.

Sano has never done any of that.

Suddenly it's obvious over the course of one more season: Sano is, in fact, a head case in a super-sized body, tries to homer on every pitch, and the rest of the time alternates between being injured, being bored and anticipating the next great party.

Now what?

#78 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,889 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:53 PM

A few comments:

1] I get the disappointment and frustration. But some seem to feel there is a conspiracy going on. Sano, by all reports, worked very hard this offseason to get ready. None of these reports speak of malpractice or malfeasance in any way. Our TD medical expert/poster has even spoken about the situation. Bad luck, bad news, but let it go and hope for the best.

2] This makes Marwin's signing all that much better and important. But were it me, I would not pencil him in at 3B. I'd keep him in the role he was brought in for and be thinking about Astudillo as the primary 3B for now. SSS or not, I liked what I saw from him last season. I like and believe in his consistent milb career and this past winter as well. Just how good he could be we dont know. But I'd be thinking about him as the primary 3B with Gonzalez and Adrianza playing their roles.

3] I dont understand the hate for Rod Stewart. LOL Love the guy and think he's a deserved legend!
  • Thrylos, terrydactyls1947 and rdehring like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#79 DrNeau

DrNeau

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Banned
  • 924 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:08 PM

Bad luck or not, even the most ardent Sano supporters have got to be on their last ounce of patience now.

Yep. He had one job... to stay healthy and be prepared for the season. This whole thing is totally ridiculous.

#80 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 647 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:15 PM

I beg to differ:

Her shirt says 'ramen' if anyone is wondering :-)...I wonder if she knows what it means...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miguel sano, injury, derek falvey