Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Miguel Sano To Miss Opening Day

miguel sano injury derek falvey
  • Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#21 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 02:45 PM

Even if the Twins trusted Sano's doctors to take care of it, why take the risk of letting it be handled by someone outside the organization? And why compound that risk by waiting until spring training to look at the healing progress? There's way too much on the line to take a wait-and-see approach to player injuries. Every week a player misses has a ripple effect throughout the rest of the season.

• Jerr, Vanimal46 and Original Whizzinator like this

#22 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,292 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 02:48 PM

But that Marwin Gonzalez signing looks absolutely brilliant right now. I'm guessing the Twins knew exactly how bad that heel was when they added Marwin to the roster. Great move. I suspect one of the reasons the injury was downplayed in the media was so that the Twins could sign Marwin and save a few bucks while they were at it. A bad injury and a blow to the morale for sure - but very savvy handling by the front office.

I'm not so sure. A lot of folks were already applauding the Gonzalez move because he was going to fill in all over. Now it's brilliant because he's going to be our primary 3B instead? Wouldn't that sap some of his perceived super-sub value?

Not that it means the Gonzalez deal is bad or anything. In fact, I argued at the time he was as much Sano insurance as a supersub, and that wasn't a bad thing.
  • USAFChief, Riverbrian, bighat and 1 other like this

#23 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,806 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 March 2019 - 02:48 PM

Forgive me if I don't believe a word the team says about recovery/return date. Last year we were told Erv's minor finger injury would only keep him out until early May too.
  • USAFChief, Jerr, h2oface and 5 others like this

#24 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,124 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 02:52 PM

You know....surgery is a last resort. The team was ok with how it was handled, and things went worse than people expected. I don't get how this is on the patient at all......Sometimes, stuff happens, and it isn't anyone's fault. The rush to judge is super sad.

Edited by Mike Sixel, 05 March 2019 - 02:57 PM.

• Thrylos, alarp33, nicksaviking and 20 others like this

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#25 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 02:56 PM

Even if the Twins trusted Sano's doctors to take care of it, why take the risk of letting it be handled by someone outside the organization? And why compound that risk by waiting until spring training to look at the healing progress?

From what the team's trainer told us, its a situation where you get it stitched up right away. It was bleeding, needed to be closed. They saw the images and had progress sent to them and felt OK about how it was going at that time. They consulted other experts and the collective advice was to treat it with creams, ointments, bandages and it should heal.

With the stretching and the sutures coming loose the skin started growing around it and not closing the way it should. Which is when they decided to take out the sutures and re-close while giving him the walking boot it 10 days ago. That progress, according to the doctors, stalled again. 

They didn't specify what they would have done differently but no one said that he should be in the boot until it became clear that it was already opening the wound. It's possible that if he had immobilized it right away, then he might not be in Rochester right now.

• glunn, DiscGolfer, TheLeviathan and 4 others like this

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#26 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 03:11 PM

I came here for the pitchforks, and found them!

Honestly I was a bit wary about the 7-10 day timetable.

What was the liquid on the stage?

How did he cut his heel on stairs so that he needed stitches? Was he barefoot?

Did the infection occur after the wound reopened? Shouldn’t he be under instruction to be careful with the stitches to avoid reopening the wound or getting it infected?

If he kept working out while injured, did that factor into the setback?

There’s was a lot of info in this story, Parker, so thank you. I stil came away with more questions!
  • Jerr likes this

#27 wavedog

wavedog

Twins fan since 1969

• Members
  • 910 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 03:19 PM

At least we don't have to worry where Gonzalez is going to fit in the opening daylineup.Probably gives Astudillo a spot on the roster as well. I can't speak for certain on the reason this injury is prolongedbut I can look at Sano's injury history and be very concerned on his staying ability going forward.Tommy John for the throwing arm, a stress reaction in his leg that took a very long time to heal in 2017 and needed a metal rod inserted in his shin and now this spike injury that won't heal properly all happening at age 25 and younger.I can throw in a few hamstring tweaks in there as well - one thing we know is he is not a quick healer. 

• bighat and Original Whizzinator like this

#28 vavo

vavo

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 03:23 PM

All the people suggesting this is a screw up by Sano or a Dominican doctor apparently are unfamiliar with the variability of human bodies and inexactness of modern medicine.

It seems every step of the way the doctors/trainers and Sano have done what was expected. Unfortunately it hasn't worked out the way they all hoped. That doesn't mean mistakes were made.

Who hasn't had a doctors appointment end with the doctor saying, "Come back in 4-6 weeks and we'll see how it's progressing."

No need to assign blame for all bad news.

• luckylager, glunn, Mike Sixel and 13 others like this

#29 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 03:30 PM

This sucks, but the Alex Jones style conspiracy/fake news comments stike me as a bit over an overreaction. Well, now both Astudillo and either Austin or Adrianza can make the opening day roster. Bench has an opening to go with Cave and Garver, maybe two until we need that 13th pitcher. Who will it be?

I'd like to see Astudillo break with the club and get a little playing time so he has a chance to show if he can hit and play catcher at the MLB level. If we can, maybe we can trade Castro for a good prospect or releif help. Lots of teams need catching help. I'm not a big fan of either Austin or Adrianza ever becoming much more than they are now - a solid but not overwhelming UTL (any team voluntarily starting Adrianza is tanking), and bench bound high strikeout RH power hitter with a low OBP. Neither starts on a good team and both are eminently replaceable. My guess is that Adrianza is that 4th bench player to start and we try to slide Austin through the mad cut down rush at the end of ST or trade him for a lower A ball lottery ticket. 

• Han Joelo, Mike Sixel, brvama and 1 other like this

#30 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,779 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 05 March 2019 - 03:33 PM

All the people suggesting this is a screw up by Sano or a Dominican doctor apparently are unfamiliar with the variability of human bodies and inexactness of modern medicine.

It seems every step of the way the doctors/trainers and Sano have done what was expected. Unfortunately it hasn't worked out the way they all hoped. That doesn't mean mistakes were made.

Who hasn't had a doctors appointment end with the doctor saying, "Come back in 4-6 weeks and we'll see how it's progressing."

No need to assign blame for all bad news.

raises hand

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#31 Walter's Whites

Walter's Whites

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 03:54 PM

Can we all agree "The First Cut is the Deepest" should be Sano's walkup song first game back?

• lecroy24fan, Jerr, Mike Sixel and 8 others like this

#32 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,292 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 04:00 PM

Can we all agree "The First Cut is the Deepest" should be Sano's walkup song first game back?

Which version?

• Jerr, Riverbrian, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

#33 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,806 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 March 2019 - 04:01 PM

Which version?

Cheryl Crow, man!
  • bighat likes this

#34 nater79a

nater79a

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 04:02 PM

The timing of when Sano comes back from a rehab assignment will be interesting.I wouldn't think they would bring him back to the active roster if he could only DH or be a bench bat for awhile (with Nelson Cruz already holding down the spot).Seems like they would want him to be able to play 3B with no limitations before he returns.Perhaps mid-May is a more realistic scenario?

• brvama, Minny505, bighat and 1 other like this

#35 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,292 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 04:03 PM

Cheryl Crow, man!

Has JoJo not performed a version of this song?

#36 NumberThree

NumberThree

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSomewhere north

Posted 05 March 2019 - 04:06 PM

raises hand

Goody for you.
  • RaymondLuxuryYacht likes this

#37 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,806 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 March 2019 - 04:07 PM

Has JoJo not performed a version of this song?

I wish... She's only sung the best 2 songs of all time... Too little too late and Get Out.

#38 Walter's Whites

Walter's Whites

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 04:08 PM

Which version?

Oh definitely Cheryl Crow.

• bighat likes this

#39 Walter's Whites

Walter's Whites

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 04:11 PM

Oh definitely Cheryl Crow.

*Sheryl I believe is the right spelling.

• h2oface, NumberThree and bighat like this

#40 NumberThree

NumberThree

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSomewhere north

Posted 05 March 2019 - 04:13 PM

Cheryl Crow, man!

Is this someone different, or did you mean SHERYL Crow?
  • Vanimal46 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miguel sano, injury, derek falvey