Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: BREAKING: Jose Berrios Named Twins Opening Day Starter

jose berrios opening day rocco baldelli
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,488 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 01:33 PM

Yeah...there's a very good chance the weather will be such that we'd rather not have Berrios (or anyone that figures prominently...or anyone, period) pitching. After the opening series, the Twins don't come back until the 12th. It's hard to figure how sneaking those 3 games in front of that in March benefits anyone.

#22 spycake

spycake

• 16,778 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 02:32 PM

2. The presence of the NCAA men's basketball Final Four in Minneapolis means the Twins need to be away during the second, third and fourth series of the season.

I don't quite understand this. A whole week? At best, the Twins might want to be out of town Saturday April 6 (semifinal night).

Monday April 8 (final) is a Twins off day anyway.

#23 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,293 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 05 March 2019 - 02:43 PM

I don't quite understand this. A whole week? At best, the Twins might want to be out of town Saturday April 6 (semifinal night).

Monday April 8 (final) is a Twins off day anyway.

For one thing, I imagine Minneapolis guaranteed a certain amount of available hotel rooms for that week in order to get the Final Four.

• Nine of twelve likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#24 spycake

spycake

• 16,778 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 02:57 PM

For one thing, I imagine Minneapolis guaranteed a certain amount of available hotel rooms for that week in order to get the Final Four.

How many hotel rooms usually get occupied during an early April MLB series in Minneapolis? Even if it was the home opener, I suspect most of those fans are local (and if fewer out of town fans came, local fans would buy those tickets instead).

And for a whole week? The Final Four is Saturday and Monday. Even for the Super Bowl, I don't think Atlanta hotels filled up until a couple days before.

I could see an argument for sending the Twins on road Thursday until Sunday, with Monday off, but I really don't see why they need to be on the road from the *previous* Tuesday through the *following* Thursday. (Not that any of those dates forecast appreciably different weather from March 28.)

#25 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

Grain Belt: "The Friendly Beer"

• 1,738 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 06 March 2019 - 07:16 AM

He's the guy to put there, yeah.

In other news, the water in the ice tray will turn to ice after we put it in the freezer.

And if you drop the tray and the ice cubes shatter, that would be breaking news.

• ashbury likes this

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish saying

"Good thing you married my daughter, because you've got no skills and you're not too smart." -- Circus Boy's father-in-law

#26 cardsfan

cardsfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 186 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 04:18 PM

Well, do you have any chance of winning the Division title?

#27 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:05 PM

Well, do you have any chance of winning the Division title?

Who me? Not really.

The Twins? Probably not, but it's not impossible.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, opening day, rocco baldelli