Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Twins Spring Training Highlights

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#121 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,773 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:01 AM

It has always been an inability to square up fastballs in the zone that has been his primary weakness anyway, IMO.

I disagree, I think his problem has been putting himself in a bad position to be aggressive by chasing junk.

Not to be flippant (for once in my life), but:

DBcUtoo.jpg

The recent video posted was a little hopeful - there was one very close checked swing on a breaking pitch in the dirt, that maybe in past years would have been a full swing and miss. I don't know whether the clout on the curveball was on a hanging pitch - there's a tendency to say "that was a hanger" if any breaking pitch goes for a base hit, and I'm not more nuanced than that. I presume that some of the HR this spring have been on fastballs, and like Chief I've been bothered in the past by clean misses on pitches down the middle. All in all, the video shown here (and the overall stats) hold out some hope on the multiple fronts where improvements were needed, but it's far from conclusive - the balls that went for base hits could easily have been slightly different and have gone for routine outs - his BABIP is probably out of sight right now. I'm optimistic but not convinced this is more than a blip.

• glunn, TheLeviathan and DocBauer like this

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into. -- Jonathan Swift

#122 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,450 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:29 PM

This is how we baseball. Messing with a perfectly capable starting option.
  • glunn, AlwaysinModeration and DocBauer like this

#123 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,385 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:39 PM

There is no way to make any conclusion on Harper’s handful of innings against the opponents reserves. We rely on the skilled eyes of the staff.

I'll take the skilled eyes of a radar gun. I haven't seen him yet except for the clips. Looks like he's got a bunch of wacky curveballs. I'd buy into his K% translating to the majors if he has good velocity on his FB to go with it.

• glunn and DocBauer like this

#124 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:36 PM

What was up with Romero's outing today? Just didn't feel like getting any outs at all?

Same question.

#125 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:58 PM

The Lucas Duda era has now ended. The important and/or unexpected cuts coming soon. My predictions: Pitching: Addison Reed and Moya to the DL, Romero to AAA for now after 2 bad appearances in a row, Tim Collins orRyne Harper sticks for now. My guess is Harper. Field: Torreyes to AAA (Adrianza stays), Reed to waivers or traded (at least 50/50 he slips through waivers), Astudillo to AAA. Alternatively, Austin is traded and Astudillo stays. 

Pitchers (12) - Berrios, Gibson, Odorrizi, Pineda, Perez (5 Ss) May, Rogers, Parker, Hildenberger, Magill, Mejia,Harper (7 Rs). 

IF (6) - Cron, Schoop, Polanco, Gonzalez, Adrianza, Austin 

OF (4) - Rosario, Buxton, Kepler, Cave

C (2) - Castro, Garver

DH (1) - Cruz 

• glunn, nicksaviking and DocBauer like this

#126 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:16 PM

The Lucas Duda era has now ended. The important and/or unexpected cuts coming soon. My predictions: Pitching: Addison Reed and Moya to the DL, Romero to AAA for now after 2 bad appearances in a row, Tim Collins or Ryne Harper sticks for now. My guess is Harper. Field: Torreyes to AAA (Adrianza stays), Reed to waivers or traded (at least 50/50 he slips through waivers), Astudillo to AAA. Alternatively, Austin is traded and Astudillo stays.

Pitchers (12) - Berrios, Gibson, Odorrizi, Pineda, Perez (5 Ss) May, Rogers, Parker, Hildenberger, Magill, Mejia, Harper (7 Rs).
IF (6) - Cron, Schoop, Polanco, Gonzalez, Adrianza, Austin
OF (4) - Rosario, Buxton, Kepler, Cave
C (2) - Castro, Garver
DH (1) - Cruz

How about Astudillo getting Perez’ spot until they need a fifth starter?
  • glunn and nicksaviking like this

#127 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,773 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:25 PM

I think Martin Perez has enough major league service time to refuse a minor league assignment.

• glunn, nicksaviking and Doctor Wu like this

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into. -- Jonathan Swift

#128 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:45 PM

I'd love it but I read that Bladelli already said that Perez would start the season in the bullpen until they needed the 5th starter. I could see Astudillo making the team ahead of Austin for his versatility but Astudillo has options, Austin doesn't, and Austin has out-hit Astudillo this Spring.

I do think there will be some concern about exposing Austin to waivers, although I don't see how he gets a path to much playing time unless Cron or Cruz gets hurt. Personally, I think Austin has to get regular playing time to see if he'll be more than a high strikeout big power guy with a lousy OBP but a high SLG. Right now he looks a lot like a slightly younger version of Kennys Vargas and we need to do better than that at 1B and DH. I think the best thing for both the team and the player here would be to trade him to a poor team with an opening at 1B or DH who can play him regularly and see if he develops.  

• glunn, nicksaviking and DocBauer like this

#129 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,773 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:48 PM

I think the best thing for both the team and the player here would be to trade him to a poor team with an opening at 1B or DH who can play him regularly and see if he develops.  

That might be what the Yankees thought they were doing with him last season. :)

• glunn, Twins33, nicksaviking and 2 others like this

#130 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:25 PM

Right now, roster comes down to 2 of 3 between Cave, Astudillo and Austin. All belong for different reasons. But the option game comes in to play. It stinks, but one of these guys is going to be at Rochester to begin the season.

Red is a dark horse complication, but his late start and good overall skill set without a defining characteristic, IMO, has him waived with hopes he can be moved to Rochester.

So very disappointed in Reed and Romero out of the pen. For whatever reason, Reed just doesn't look right/ready. Hate to say it, but I think he needs time on the IL and EST or Rochester to get right. Romero? Man, he was looking good! But his last couple appearances were awful. Do you bet on the arm? Or do you send him down to work on things?

I know he wasn't used in high leverage situations, and it's only ST, but do you roll the dice on Harper at this point?
  • blindeke likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#131 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 20,219 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:10 PM

Read in the Box Score today that Astudillo played a little late inning 2B. 

I'm all for positional flexibility so I am not against Astudillo playing a little 2B 

But... is it possible that Astudillo plays a better 2B than Austin plays LF or RF? 

I don't know the answer... but the answer better be Yes. If Astudillo is suitable enough to play 2B and Austin isn't suitable enough for the OF during spring training... Austin must be pretty brutal out there... so the answer better be Yes. 

• glunn and DocBauer like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#132 blindeke

blindeke

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:23 PM

Watching Buxton strike out on three identical sliders off the corner today was brutal. 

• glunn likes this

#133 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:11 PM

Forgot to post these from yesterday:

• glunn likes this

#134 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,778 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted Yesterday, 12:27 AM

Astudillo has become my favorite player. He seems focused yet joyful.