Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Twins Spring Training Highlights

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#41 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 03:39 PM

Did they start throwing breaking balls to Buxton today?

Game wasn't on tv and I don't think it was on radio either so we won't know unless someone reports it.

That being said, teams were throwing breaking stuff to him in previous games.
  • glunn likes this

#42 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:16 PM

A few more things to pass along ...

• glunn and dbminn like this

#43 sdangus

sdangus

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 07:32 AM

Never heard of Ryne Harper, ever, until the Twins picked up last season. ,(Of course, never heard of Magill before either until he was brought in). So I looked up the 29yo Harper's career numbers and I was honestly surprised!

2.56 ERA/ 1.14 WHIP/ .228 BA/ 10.97K per 9IP/ 4-1 SO/BA.

I know it's ST and only the first week and all that, but the stuff he shows in that clip, with his career milb numbers and I'm confused. He's never even had a ML cup of coffee and is a non-roster invite?

What I saw in Ryne Harper's outing is a guy that throws an unhittable curve ball WHEN he can get it over the plate. Looks to me like he has an awful time trying to control it. He has an extremely ackward pitching motion. Looks like he is trying to shove the ball toward home plate. If the spin happens on the pitch, it's awesome. If it doesn't it's not near the plate.

Having said all that, I look at his stats then, and I don't see a guy that has walked a lot of guys, or given up a lot of hits or home runs. So I don't know why he hasn't gotten a chance to stick. He was briefly on the Mariners roster 2 years ago. His age keeps him from being a serious prospect at this point probably, but it doesn't matter if he can pitch. I think the Twins might have some open 40 man spots after the cuts start, so maybe he gets an opportunity if he can show that stuff some more.

• glunn likes this

#44 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,838 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:29 AM

FYI, if anyone is looking for an easy, ad-free way to view/link highlight videos, the Baseball Theater site has highlights active for 2019 now:

https://baseball.theater/

Eventually they'll have recaps and condensed games again too.

• ashbury, USAFChief, glunn and 4 others like this

#45 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,785 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:53 AM

FYI, if anyone is looking for an easy, ad-free way to view/link highlight videos, the Baseball Theater site has highlights active for 2019 now:

https://baseball.theater/

Eventually they'll have recaps and condensed games again too.

Impossible to overstate what a wonderful resource this is. Probably a day doesn't go by during regular season, where I don't read something about a game and want to validate with my own eyes - and this is how.

• glunn and Doctor Wu like this

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into. -- Jonathan Swift

#46 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:16 PM

Kohl Stewart vs. the Red Sox this afternoon.

• glunn, h2oface and dbminn like this

#47 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 04:57 PM

Who's catching there? It looks like he's really emphasizing framing, although he let a few go by that he shouldn't have.

• glunn likes this

#48 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,460 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 March 2019 - 05:05 PM

Who's catching there? It looks like he's really emphasizing framing, although he let a few go by that he shouldn't have.

Everyone's favorite little turtle.
  • glunn and 70charger like this

#49 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,785 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 08 March 2019 - 05:51 PM

That video of Kohl inadvertently confirms my view that Wade should not be in the discussion for CF unless in a real emergency. I like him. Just not there.

• jorgenswest, glunn and NumberThree like this

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into. -- Jonathan Swift

#50 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 03:24 PM

Kind of seems like Perez is making a decent case for himself as the #5 starter. Another 4 shutout inning starts today, 3Ks, 3 hits and a walk. /sss, small sample size alert!
  • glunn, Dman, DocBauer and 2 others like this

#51 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 03:40 PM

Kind of seems like Perez is making a decent case for himself as the #5 starter. Another 4 shutout inning starts today, 3Ks, 3 hits and a walk. /sss, small sample size alert!

Eno Sarris claims that there is enough sample to look at velocity. Before today’s games he was on his list of pitchers with noticeably improved velocity this spring. Of the 19 big gainers, three are Twins (Pineda and Gonsalves).

Is it simply higher readings from their home park? Perez was 94-97 on the road today.
  • glunn likes this

#52 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 04:17 PM

Martin Perez, lookin' pretty darn good.

• glunn, NumberThree and Doctor Wu like this

#53 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 04:54 PM

• glunn, Hosken Bombo Disco, DocBauer and 1 other like this

#54 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 06:31 PM

I'd be very happy to eat crow on this one. Is it possible our FO really sees something different in him that nobody has found/untapped yet?
  • glunn, Dantes929, Oldgoat_MN and 3 others like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#55 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 06:34 PM

Tom, that is almost eerie!

He might even throw harder than Johan did. But it's still a long way from looking like him and pitching like him.
  • Tom Froemming likes this

--Lou Brown

#56 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 06:39 PM

Tom, that is almost eerie!

He might even throw harder than Johan did. But it's still a long way from looking like him and pitching like him.

Most definitely. Perez is looking good, throwing hard and the Johan similarity is fun, but it is important to remember that this is a guy with a 4.63 ERA, 1.48 WHIP and 5.5 K/9 over 761 1/3 career innings.

• glunn, Twins33, DocBauer and 1 other like this

#57 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 06:49 PM

Most definitely. Perez is looking good, throwing hard and the Johan similarity is fun, but it is important to remember that this is a guy with a 4.63 ERA, 1.48 WHIP and 5.5 K/9 over 761 1/3 career innings.

Exactly!

LH with velocity. Wonder what it is that really holds him back. Is it location or breaking stuff?
  • glunn likes this

--Lou Brown

#58 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Wahoo

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:14 PM

Geez I was not happy about the Perez signing because I like Mejia. I still like Mejia but this guy sure looks springtime fresh! A lefty at 97 and even spinning one in the 70's.. c'mon!

Edited by Original Whizzinator, 09 March 2019 - 07:15 PM.

• glunn, Oldgoat_MN, Kelly Vance and 1 other like this

#59 brockbesler

brockbesler

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:18 PM

After watching the video of Perez I am pleasantly surprised with how he looked. Good movement on his pitches and good velocity. He induced a lot of weak contact too. I didn’t like the signing at the time, and I’m not sold yet. With that said I think the front office might have found a real diamond in the rough here.
  • glunn and Doctor Wu like this

#60 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,929 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:07 PM

He actually worked considerably with Santana last week :)

Only difference in the delivery is that Santana is a bit more open and his release point is higher (look at the relative position of the ball vs their shoulder at the release point.) And the aggressive leg follow up.

But yeah, pretty similar, with Santana 2.0.   

But check out his delivery in 2003 from his 17 K game:

Tad more aggressive

Edited by Thrylos, 09 March 2019 - 08:09 PM.

• glunn, Oldgoat_MN and Tom Froemming like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98