Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins Spring Training Highlights

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:24 PM

I'll try to update this thread anytime I'm able to grab some spring training highlights. Here are a few from today:

• glunn, birdwatcher, Oldgoat_MN and 2 others like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#2 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,938 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:42 PM

It's just as I've heard, Pineda is a big boy. Yowza.

How do you pronounce "Ryne"? Names that don't have obvious pronunciations bug me. And looking over his stats, he put up a 5.19 ERA in 26 AAA innings at age 29... I'll give the guy credit for sticking around in the minors, but I can't say I like his chances of cracking an MLB roster.

• glunn likes this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#3 Otwins

Otwins

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:46 PM

Can Harper make the team off one spring training outing? WOW Thanks for posting

• glunn, tarheeltwinsfan and bighat like this

#4 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,521 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:40 PM

Encouraging about Pineda.How and when do the Twins approach him about an extension?If he kills it this year do we just offer QO to both him and Gibson?

• glunn likes this

#5 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 11:53 PM

Encouraging about Pineda.How and when do the Twins approach him about an extension?If he kills it this year do we just offer QO to both him and Gibson?

Depends if the Twins are in the hunt this year.If we are not and they are doing well, we probably turn at least one of them into other assets.If the Twins do well the chances are good we QO them for one year.

• glunn likes this

#6 AZTwin

AZTwin

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 910 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 12:12 AM

What’s with Bens stance behind the plate? Can’t say I’ve ever seen that before. Is it just to go easy on the knees during spring training? Pitcher specific? Or is that how he typically plays?
  • glunn, 70charger, dgwills and 2 others like this

#7 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 23,501 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 02 March 2019 - 08:27 AM

What’s with Bens stance behind the plate? Can’t say I’ve ever seen that before. Is it just to go easy on the knees during spring training? Pitcher specific? Or is that how he typically plays?

Yeah, I hope that was all with nobody on base. In the other game I saw him in briefly, he was dropping a knee down also. It's not like he's super tall (5'10"), but I assume he is trying to give the ump an optimal view of the pitch. Sometimes it's one knee down, sometimes both... not a real fan of this technique, but I'm willing to learn more. Some catchers (Junior Ortiz?) have been known for one leg splayed way out, which I always thought had to have some real drawbacks.

"This is how you catch a baseball, son..."

Minnesota-Twins-Joe-Mauer%E2%80%99s-Conc

:)

• glunn and Sconnie like this

So, in conclusion, what was your question again?

#8 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 08:33 AM

How do you pronounce "Ryne"? Names that don't have obvious pronunciations bug me.

Rine.

Dan Hayes wrote about this for The Athletic. Twins catchers are trying to dominate the bottom of the zone, where the most missed strike calls are made. Getting really small and low helps the umpire get a better window to see what's going on and keeps the catcher from having to look like his stabbing to catch the ball. It's a really good article.

• glunn, dbminn and dougd like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#9 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,499 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 March 2019 - 09:00 AM

Pineda is the new Big Sexy I see... His belly is just as big.
  • Danchat likes this

#10 blindeke

blindeke

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 09:22 AM

Pineda is the new Big Sexy I see... His belly is just as big.

Yes, he is a large man. (but no, obvi, still like a 1/2 Bartolo) 

• tarheeltwinsfan and Doctor Wu like this

#11 mike8791

mike8791

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 09:32 AM

Tom, thanks for this post.For those of us who follow the Twins closely but aren't at the games, we pretty much are dependent on box scores and your in-game highlights.

I'm particularly interested in following our relievers, so your comments on Harper are quite interesting!A long shot but so far, lights out.It is worth mentioning that some of our bullpen returnees have not looked too good, at least in the early going.Magill and Moya have gotten rocked.Yesterday, Reed and Duffy were lit for home runs from the Sox traveling squad.May has been quite good, but has also given up a dinger(only hit allowed).Hildy has looked lights out so maybe rest is the cure for his second half blues?

Yes, it isstill early, but our relievers are all fighting for a spot on the 25 man roster and will not get a lot of innings to show their stuff.I hope the FO is keeping close tabs on these guys while Kimbrel is dangling in the wind.Just my opinion, but any team with a bullpen including Duffy, Magill and Moya cannot be viewed as an elite one, nor can a bullpen without a set closer be taken seriously either.Time will tell!

• glunn and NumberThree like this

#12 USNMCPO

USNMCPO

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 09:43 AM

I saw a tweet yesterday that the Twins are in negotiations with Kimbrel. Has anyone else heard that?

• glunn and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#13 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 10:20 AM

I saw a tweet yesterday that the Twins are in negotiations with Kimbrel. Has anyone else heard that?

I heard it was 13 years at $330,000,001, making him the highest paid player ever.

• ashbury, glunn, USNMCPO and 1 other like this

#14 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 10:50 AM

Yeah, I hope that was all with nobody on base. In the other game I saw him in briefly, he was dropping a knee down also. It's not like he's super tall (5'10"), but I assume he is trying to give the ump an optimal view of the pitch. Sometimes it's one knee down, sometimes both... not a real fan of this technique, but I'm willing to learn more. Some catchers (Junior Ortiz?) have been known for one leg splayed way out, which I always thought had to have some real drawbacks.

"This is how you catch a baseball, son..."

Minnesota-Twins-Joe-Mauer%E2%80%99s-Conc

:)

I have no problem with it especially with no one on base. I wouldn't have even noticed it if it wasn't pointed out. Oddly enough it used to bug me watching Flowers catch for the White Sox. He would lean down and put his right knee on the ground to throw it back to the pitcher.Looked like a right handed bowler throwing the ball off his right leg or when the least athletic person in slow pitch softball was put at catcher would throw it awkwardly back to the pitcher. No impact on the game either but it bugged me way more aesthetically than what Ben is doing.

• glunn and minn55441 like this

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#15 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Twins Mods
  • 10,803 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 11:06 AM

He’s no Tony Peña, but maybe someday :)

49dd7a9e8889cbe98e9132b2f55c102e.jpg
  • glunn likes this

#16 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 23,501 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 02 March 2019 - 11:23 AM

Rine.

Is that to rhyme with the Rhine River, or a nice Rhine wine, or the Rhine province in Prussia? :)

• glunn likes this

#17 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,639 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 02 March 2019 - 11:39 AM

Over the years I've seen several catchers catch like this. You have to be pretty athletic. With men on base his stance will be more traditional. This is the first time I've seen him. He has me interested. 

• glunn likes this

#18 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 23,501 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 02 March 2019 - 11:53 AM

Over the years I've seen several catchers catch like this. You have to be pretty athletic.

What advantage does it bring?

• glunn likes this

#19 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Twins Mods
  • 4,582 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 02 March 2019 - 12:20 PM

I like the snippets of Marni’s play by play, she and Hawkins would make good broadcast booth post DickN’Bert
  • glunn likes this

#20 Twodogs

Twodogs

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 12:34 PM

Buxton is on fire, he has 11 rbi already, dang I don't think he had that many rbis for the twins all last year? Nice to see him getting some confidence.
  • glunn likes this

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy