Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins 2019 Position Analysis: Second Base

jonathan schoop marwin gonzalez nick gordon luis arraez
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,743 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 02:51 PM

I think the FO has the timing down. A year of Schoop at 2B. If he performs, probably gets too expensive and leaves or we sign him without a no-trade clause. If he doesn't perform, we don't re-sign.If/when he leaves either Gonzalez takes over at 2B with Gordon or Lewis moving to his super utility role as a start to their MLB Career, or Lewis/Gordon takes over at SS and Polonco goes to 2B. If Arreaz is ready and Lewis/Gordon are not, Polanco stays at SS and Gonzalez and Arreaz play the 2B/Utl role. I think this all works. 

• glunn, Mike Sixel, Twins33 and 7 others like this

#22 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,836 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 02:58 PM

I think the FO has the timing down. A year of Schoop at 2B. If he performs, probably gets too expensive and leaves or we sign him without a no-trade clause. If he doesn't perform, we don't re-sign.If/when he leaves either Gonzalez takes over at 2B with Gordon or Lewis moving to his super utility role as a start to their MLB Career, or Lewis/Gordon takes over at SS and Polonco goes to 2B. If Arreaz is ready and Lewis/Gordon are not, Polanco stays at SS and Gonzalez and Arreaz play the 2B/Utl role. I think this all works. 

Concur on all this. 

• Minny505 and BJames like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#23 jrod23

jrod23

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 156 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:32 PM

I think the FO has the timing down.

The FO makes millions for their decisions.We get "likes" for our comments.What I'm trying to say is this FO knows their $%*#.

HOWEVER, that's not going to stop me from preaching the likes of the prospects I likes.Arraez hits.And hits.Watching him play 2B, I wasn't not impressed.In fact, I thought he had very quick hands playing the right side of the infield.He's deceptively quick on the bases, and just has that savvy for the game that you can't teach.

Could you imagine though, if aaaaalllllll goes well, we'd have Polanco, Schoop, Gordon, Lewis, Javier, my man Arraez, and sleeper of the sleepers Michael Helman flooding the middle infield for years to come.That's going to be a good problem to have.

Eventually, the ball don't lie, and the right person is in the right position come The Show.

• glunn likes this

#24 sdangus

sdangus

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 75 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 08:24 AM

As far a Luis Arraez goes, from everything I have ever read, the defense is adequate at 2B, he has very little speed or power. He has shown the ability to be able to play 3B and LF, although I am sure the jury is still out about how well.

The only way he becomes a major leaguer is if his bat stays atthat .300 plus level with an OBP about 50 points higher. He does seem to have some plate discipline.

If that were true, he could be a poor man's DH if he can offer OBP. The added bonus would be that he could be a fill in at several positions on a short term basis.

• glunn likes this

#25 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• 5,365 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 02 March 2019 - 10:52 AM

The FO makes millions for their decisions. We get "likes" for our comments. What I'm trying to say is this FO knows their $%*#.
HOWEVER, that's not going to stop me from preaching the likes of the prospects I likes. Arraez hits. And hits. Watching him play 2B, I wasn't not impressed. In fact, I thought he had very quick hands playing the right side of the infield. He's deceptively quick on the bases, and just has that savvy for the game that you can't teach.

Could you imagine though, if aaaaalllllll goes well, we'd have Polanco, Schoop, Gordon, Lewis, Javier, my man Arraez, and sleeper of the sleepers Michael Helman flooding the middle infield for years to come. That's going to be a good problem to have.

Eventually, the ball don't lie, and the right person is in the right position come The Show.

oh no! Perish the thought! Too many valuable trade assets? Whatever shall we do?
  • jrod23 likes this

#26 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Owner
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 01:06 PM

What is with this still ongoing narrative that Robbie Grossman is slow? Yeah he’s an awkward looking defender in the outfield but he isn’t slow. His 27.7 ft/sec ranked 119th out of 287 MLB players with at least 100 runs measured in 2018, and isn’t that far behind Max Kepler who checked in at 27.9 ft/sec.

I wouldn't say he's slow, but no one would confuse him for being fast. He strikes me as the cut-off for where speed could be considered an asset. 

Anyway, Schoop has attempted 10 steals in 680 career games, which probably says a lot more. 

• glunn likes this

#27 cardsfan

cardsfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 203 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 01:27 PM

Schoop is puzzling like why the decline? If he gets back to 2017 levels you couldn't risk a big contract. Flip him at deadline.

I was amazed why Dozier declined last year. He was good at scoring runs though his OBP wasn't that great. Seems risky giving him longterm contract.

#28 travkro

travkro

Elizabethton Twins

• 12 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 04:12 PM

Schoop is my favorite off-season move by the Twins. I believe last year was an aberration and Schoop will rebound to near '17 numbers. If the Twins are out of contention I could see them dealing him to a contender and getting a prospect or two. If they are in contention I think they should look at extending him. At 27, his best years are theoretically in front of him. They could also deal the 2B prospects for whattever help they need if they are making a playoff run.

• glunn likes this

#29 HrbieFan

HrbieFan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 66 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:00 PM

Not giving up on Gordon! A lot of players take a year to adjust to the another level. Torii Hunter took a long time to make it to the bigs, happens with toolsy players
  • Nick Nelson, glunn and brvama like this

#30 Tomj14

Tomj14

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 902 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 09:52 AM

Not giving up on Gordon! A lot of players take a year to adjust to the another level. Torii Hunter took a long time to make it to the bigs, happens with toolsy players

Hunter started 135 games for the Twins when he was 23. He wasn't very good until his age 25 season. (he did play 1 game at age 21 and 6 at age 22)

Lets hope Gordon is just a year behind Hunter and then has the same type of career. Gordon has had a much better minor league career than Hunter.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jonathan schoop, marwin gonzalez, nick gordon, luis arraez