Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Recent comments by Buxton

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
141 replies to this topic

#121 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 05:40 PM

Why would I ask
"What if he doesn't hit in April?" In April??

Seems to me the time to ask would be in March. Thanks, though

#122 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,773 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 March 2019 - 05:48 PM

Why would I ask
"What if he doesn't hit in April?" In April??

Seems to me the time to ask would be in March.

Or, in May. :)

The above was a joke - there will always be times to ask, some more consequential than others. April itself is fair game too.

But, speaking as just one moderator, it seems to me that little new is being said in this thread. The direct quotes have been presented, and there has been discussion of whether and how literally to consider them. At this point, with the debate having descended to questionable rhetoric like "moronic", it may be time to move on to other topics.

Edited by ashbury, 13 March 2019 - 06:22 PM.
Clarifying what's a joke, and what's not

• nicksaviking likes this

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into. -- Jonathan Swift

#123 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 05:49 PM

I have my concerns and they are well founded given his uneven track record offensively and his penchant for running into walls. To say I'm "being negative" really makes no sense. I'm being realistic about the situation

Not trying to offend anyone, but I get the distinct feeling that somehow I have. I don't understand it....but I respect it. Sorry about that

I also think Dr Neau deserves credit for starting this thread knowing full well it would be received poorly. We can't always agree folks and there isn't anything wrong with that.

#124 DrNeau

DrNeau

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Banned
  • 924 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:02 PM

The excuses are flying. 

Quotes by Buxton:

1: "Pissed? Yes. I ain’t sugarcoating nuttin'. I have no idea what they want from me now.”

2: "I didn’t go to no hitting coach. I didn’t go work out with nobody. I worked out by myself, I hit by myself and that’s where it’s going to stay."

3: "I want to be coached, but it’s got to fit me. No more, ‘Maybe you should try this, or do this.’ I’m not doing any of that. I’m being myself.”

-

Excuses and deflections as a result of presenting these quotes and questioning them:

* We shouldn't read into these quotes too much. Buxton simply answered a question.
* Hard to judge without more context.
* He's bitter about service time manipulation and is just focused on getting better by trusting himself, and this is fair because he's received mixed messages about his approach and swing.
* Let's hope his bitterness causes him to get better.
* OP is making too big of a deal about the comments.
* Buxton has been "Mollied".
* It's not defiance; it's self-confidence.
* It is defiance, and those criticizing him are silly and condescending.
* For all we know, Baldelli told him to disregard coaching and find himself.
* He has been too humble and it's good to see more fire.
* "Over-coaching" has hurt him. Let him do his own thing.
* "That's how it's going to stay" could maybe mean "right now".
* We shouldn't interpret Buxton's comments as if he's swearing an eternal blood feud with Baldelli and Rowson.
* Being fired up may be the best for Buxton.
* The reporter is more unprofessional than Buxton for writing the quote verbatim with words like nuttin'.
* Hitting coaches don't coach in December.
* "That's the way it's going to stay" maybe meant "I'm not going to talk about it anymore".
* Maybe the author just put together a mishmash of things said all off-season. Need to confirm that.
* Baldelli said the staff is extremely happy with the work he put in during the offseason.
* OP is fixating on a single sentence.
* The stars in MLB do things their own way.
* "I didn't hit with no hitting coach - I hit by myself and that's the way it's going to stay" does not mean that he doesn't like coaching in general.
* Buxton's words are being twisted.
* Lots of guys tinker with their stance and approach.
* Maybe the discussion can be "tabled" until May.
* Buxton is a young man.
* He's saying exactly what he said in February, but had to rephase it because others have "taken liberty" with his quotes in order to make him sound bad.
* The Twins dropped the ball.
* OP is trying to deconstruct a statement without context.
* This is a nonissue.
* OP has a relentless singleminded agenda.
* The coaches and front office supports Buxton on this.
* OP wants to attack Buxton.
* OP is lobbing bombs.
* Buxton had a microphone in his face and had to say something. A ton of what comes out of his mouth is easy to interpret negatively.
* There's a big difference between Buxton wanting to have more of his own input and refusing coaching.
* Its unfair to interpret Buxton's comments.
* Both the Twins and Buxton are at fault.
* Buxton's comments translate to "I've been trying to please everyone but now I need to listen to myself as the final voice".
* When being interviewed it's hard to say what you mean with brevity.
* Buxton made a mistake by not using PR-approved cliches.
* OP is focusing on the negative.
* It is likely that Buxton and the team/coaches have come to an amicable agreement to not tinker with his swing.
* Major leaguers have earned the prigilege of not working with coaches on their mechanics.
* The quotes are referring to the past, and there is no evidence of defiance. OP is hyper-micro-parsing the quotes.
* People with "misplaced anger" are trying to dredge hidden meaning from Buxton's quotes.
* Moderators should consider closing this discussion.

Edited by DrNeau, 13 March 2019 - 06:03 PM.

#125 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,773 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:17 PM

Moderator's Note: The above litany of what has been said, is the literal opposite of my request that posters collectively find something new to say or move on.

• nicksaviking, formerly33 and Shaitan like this

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into. -- Jonathan Swift

#126 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:20 PM

DrNeau, you made your point a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Let's start a new topic.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#127 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,773 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:24 PM

Not trying to offend anyone, but I get the distinct feeling that somehow I have. I don't understand it....but I respect it. Sorry about that

I went back to my earlier response to you, and edited with an extra paragraph to clarify the joking part versus the serious observation, in case it was misconstrued.

#128 DrNeau

DrNeau

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Banned
  • 924 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:36 PM

DrNeau, you made your point a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Let's start a new topic.

No one is stopping you.

Buxton’s Most recent quote was 2 days ago, BTW. If that’s not fresh content, what is? In that last quote, he suddenly asserted that he is coachable. Why is that? Is it because people think “I didn’t hit with no hitting coach and that’s the way it’s gonna stay” means “in the past” or “I’m not going to talk about it”? Yeah, I’m sure that’s why.

Edited by DrNeau, 13 March 2019 - 06:50 PM.

#129 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:18 PM

I don't really care, he has 4 home runs and 3 doubles now this spring and that's good news. I know it's not regular season but hitting is hitting and anything positive is good stuff. The twins need him to do well.

Edited by Twodogs, 13 March 2019 - 07:22 PM.

• LA VIkes Fan and DrNeau like this

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#130 DrNeau

DrNeau

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Banned
  • 924 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:39 PM

I don't really care, he has 4 home runs and 3 doubles now this spring and that's good news. I know it's not regular season but hitting is hitting and anything positive is good stuff. The twins need him to do well.

Agree that he is hitting well and that we need him to do well. Hope he keeps hitting a ton like this - into the season.
  • ashbury likes this

#131 formerly33

formerly33

Captain of the City Watch

• Members
  • 3,027 posts
  • LocationImperial City

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:25 PM

By virtue of his being in the major leagues, he has earned the privilege of trusting himself and his talents (note my use of the word "privilege, not the word "right" as you used). He's a grown man, and he gets to live with the consequences of his choices, for better or worse, as did Barry Bonds in that anecdote you provide.

Just curious, do you think that every player should adhere 100% to every bit of advice they receive from a coach? Is the coach always correct, just by virtue of being a coach?

That's exactly it, though. He seems to have developed the mentality that now that he's in the major leagues, he has everything together and doesn't need to be coached because he knows what he's doing. His success as an athlete up until he hit the big leagues has gone to his head, and it comes off as arrogant and childish.
  • DrNeau likes this
Stop right there, criminal scum! Nobody breaks the law on my watch.

#132 BrianTrottier

BrianTrottier

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:48 AM

That's exactly it, though. He seems to have developed the mentality that now that he's in the major leagues, he has everything together and doesn't need to be coached because he knows what he's doing. His success as an athlete up until he hit the big leagues has gone to his head, and it comes off as arrogant and childish.

I guess I read what he says differently. I think he's just saying that he's simplifying his approach and relying on what got him here in the first place, namely his talent and past results in the minors. Obviously he needs to perform at the big league level, but I just don't think there's anything nefarious to what he said.

• formerly33 likes this

#133 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• Members
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:56 AM

This is still being discussed? Who gives a **** what he said if he hits. 

• TheLeviathan, LA VIkes Fan and Vanimal46 like this

#134 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:15 AM

This is still being discussed? Who gives a **** what he said if he hits.

I don’t care what he said, period. I just care if he hits. If he has 200 PA by the end of May with an OPS under .550, the Twins need to seriously consider moving on.

#135 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:33 PM

One more thing before I put a personal moratorium on any more Buxton talk until April...

I am concerned about how wound up he seems to be. It feels like he's playing his World Series right now. That's all well and good, but he's got to learn to pace himself and show that's he's built for a full season physically and mentally. He's so much more intense it is like he swapped brains with another guy.

It's been quite a conversation this winter with young Mr. Buxton. Sold as a humble soft-spoken kind and now we have this. Well OK. Now what? Not sure how all that he's said is a good thing and yet there seems to be no shortage of folks encouraged by the new edgier demeanor. OK now what? Tell me what he's going to because I don't have any idea

I'm just concerned about where he is in April. To say he's never hit in April & May is an understatement. Anyone who doesn't believe me can look it up. I can honestly say I would be much more encouraged if he took the high road in his media exchanges this winter. Simple as that. I give him props that he's done a lot to get stronger and apparently he's hit more than ever this last winter. Those are positives.

However, until these perceived positives translate into something I'm going to be bearish on the guy. I'm going to wait and watch.

I know this. With all the noise he's made he surely better not hit .152 through April (pretty much the norm he's established)

Not so controversial to say he needs to erase that real soon. Like this April
  • formerly33 likes this

#136 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:42 PM

So has Buxton said anything lately? Haven't heard much. Just kidding. 

• Riverbrian likes this

#137 prouster

prouster

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:30 AM

I am concerned about how wound up he seems to be.

I’m concerned about how wound up you and several others seem to be about spring training interviews.
  • Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#138 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,773 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:00 AM

One more thing before I put a personal moratorium on any more Buxton talk until April...
I am concerned about how wound up he seems to be.

I’m concerned about how wound up you and several others seem to be about spring training interviews.

Moderator's Note: Let's please keep discussions on-topic, and not turn focus toward other posters themselves. Imitating others' speech patterns is especially likely to lead to bickering rather than discussion, except in situations where everyone understands it's all in good fun.

#139 DrNeau

DrNeau

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Banned
  • 924 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:12 AM

Should players not be accountable for what they do and say in spring training?

#140 prouster

prouster

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:21 AM

Should players not be accountable for what they do and say in spring training?

Nope.