Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Recent comments by Buxton

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
141 replies to this topic

#41 DrNeau

DrNeau

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Banned
  • 924 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 28 February 2019 - 09:03 AM

Out of proportion and out of context. I read the article. All MLB player (of all ages) get constant advice from everyone. Just like you and I get advice from our co-workers. Some of it is good advice, some is bad. As you gain experience, you learn to filter it. That's what he said in this article.

What's out of context are the things you just inserted into this discussion. None of which are in the article itself. 

Edited by DrNeau, 28 February 2019 - 09:04 AM.

#42 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,385 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 09:12 AM

I don't claim that he was swearing an eternal blood feud with Baldelli and Rowson. He said he didn't hit with a hitting coach and that's how it's going to stay. 

I don't imagine many players hit with the hitting coach in December. Is Rowson expected to tour the country and the Caribbean all off season scheduling sessions with all the players? 

• Original Whizzinator likes this

#43 DrNeau

DrNeau

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Banned
  • 924 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 28 February 2019 - 09:28 AM

I never said I expected that. He said he didn't hit with a hitting coach and that's the way it's going to stay. For me, it is the "that's the way it's going to stay" part of the statement that is off. 

Edited by DrNeau, 28 February 2019 - 09:28 AM.

#44 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,725 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 09:31 AM

Let me just add this about Buxton's hitting coach quote:

I don't know the context of the question, but to me, it reads like "who did you work with this offseason?" Like several other winters, Buxton really didn't hit with anybody. He did communicate with Torii Hunter, sending him videos on occasion, but he really didn't do anything else with any instructors or coaches. 

It could be bitter. I wouldn't blame him. He's been jerked around a lot by the coaching staff at all levels (with his best interest in mind, of course). 

• ashbury, Loosey, nicksaviking and 1 other like this

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#45 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,385 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 09:48 AM

I never said I expected that. He said he didn't hit with a hitting coach and that's the way it's going to stay. For me, it is the "that's the way it's going to stay" part of the statement that is off. 

Or he meant, I've said my piece and I'm not going to talk about it anymore because I now realize I've probably said too much and regret saying anything at all, so "that's the way it's going to stay".

Either way, working with the team's hitting coach is probably not his call.

• NumberThree likes this

#46 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,773 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 28 February 2019 - 09:51 AM

The article that kicks off this discussion seems to be a distillation from an original article in The Athletic. It's behind a paywall, and I'm a cheapskate. Has anyone consulted it, to gain a bit more of the context? The snippet that is provided to us cheapskates indicates Baldelli is quoted - he seemed OK with it, but it was only a snippet.

One thing I'd want to confirm is that author Dan Hayes is providing all recent quotes, and not a mishmash of things said during the off-season and now in Ft Myers.

• nicksaviking likes this

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into. -- Jonathan Swift

#47 DrNeau

DrNeau

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Banned
  • 924 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 28 February 2019 - 09:58 AM

Or he meant, I've said my piece and I'm not going to talk about it anymore because I now realize I've probably said too much and regret saying anything at all, so "that's the way it's going to stay".

Either way, working with the team's hitting coach is probably not his call.

Or he meant what he said. 

#48 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,825 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 10:14 AM

He said he didn't hit with a hitting coach and that's how it's going to stay. 

Exactly. And depending on the context, there's nothing wrong with that. It's quite possible Buxton didn't need yet another hitting coach makeover this winter, and maybe "that's how it's going to stay" just means for the immediate future, i.e. this spring. Athletes aren't exactly known for choosing each one of their words carefully (not like us TD posters :) ). Without any further context to suggest otherwise, I'd say it's far more likely that's what he meant, rather than that he's swearing off coaching forever.

• NumberThree likes this

#49 dougd

dougd

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 10:25 AM

Dan Hayes' article in The Athletic has a quote from Rocco:

"“There’s something to just feeling good and going out on the field and having a good time,” manager Rocco Baldelli said. “I don’t care if these are spring training games, what kind of games they are, he looks like he’s having fun from the time he comes in the dugout pregame until we slap him five and he goes back in. He’s obviously swung the bat really well and I think it’s a nice way to start the spring for him and he looks great.”

It has a quote from a National League scout: “Impressive,” said one National League scout. “Stronger and quicker to the ball. Really looks good physically.”

Jose Berrios says "I feel so happy and proud for him to watch so far what he’s doing this spring.”

Hayes notes: "To make his swing less complicated, Buxton has ditched the leg kick. He said Tuesday that he decided to make the change when he wasn’t promoted to the majors last September."

“Once I took the leg kick out, that put my thought process at ease,” Buxton said. “I wasn’t thinking about when I had to lower my leg, where I had to land, where my foot needed to be. All those things that goes into having that leg kick I eliminated to where it was very simple for me and all I do is step. Step and see the ball.”

Buxton is confident in the work he put in over the winter. He also feels like the more reps he gets, the more he will learn about his altered, simple approach.

• ashbury, nicksaviking, PseudoSABR and 3 others like this

#50 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,725 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:04 AM

Hayes notes: "To make his swing less complicated, Buxton has ditched the leg kick. He said Tuesday that he decided to make the change when he wasn’t promoted to the majors last September."

“Once I took the leg kick out, that put my thought process at ease,” Buxton said. “I wasn’t thinking about when I had to lower my leg, where I had to land, where my foot needed to be. All those things that goes into having that leg kick I eliminated to where it was very simple for me and all I do is step. Step and see the ball.”

Here's the weird thing about this narrative -- he ditched the leg kick pretty much in 2017. In 2018, he had no leg kick. 

He did attempt to resurrect the leg kick in his stint in the minors but eventually stopped using it there too. 

• dbminn likes this

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#51 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:37 AM

What's out of context are the things you just inserted into this discussion. None of which are in the article itself. 

2 paragraphs after your selected quote:

"Sometimes, you open yourself up to other people and kind of go that direction, but it seems like he’s very, very happy with the work he was able to get in this offseason, and as a staff we’re extremely happy as well from everything that we saw," manager Rocco Baldelli said.

• ashbury and nicksaviking like this

#52 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 20,219 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:26 PM

Or he meant what he said.

Or it’s a fixation on a single sentence from what is probably an incredibly complex series of thoughts, feelings and emotions that is impossible to condense into a single sentence.

Now he gets to perform and that will matter more than any words. The ball is in his court.

Go get em Byron. Become the player you were meant to be!!!

• Joe A. Preusser likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#53 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 1,901 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:36 PM

Far as I saw, Buxton was "Mollied" over the last three years.

Told to leg kick, no stride, just lift and down, "process, process, process".

I welcome this kid's aggression.

Bring it.

I'll compare his comments to ones about my golf swing.I have gotten so many tips from friends, pros and a coach or two.I finally just started hitting the range by myself and working on things a little at a time instead of trying to change everything so often, until I put it together to have a decent consistent swing.I'm sure I could use a few pointers, but I am swinging better than I ever had, just needed to work things out by myself for a bit.  

I know we are at different levels but I am hoping this is the kinda thing he did.Got away from the manager, several hitting coaches and just went back to what made him such a highly regarded prospect in the 1st place.Then again....maybe I'm just an optimist. 

• AlwaysinModeration likes this

#54 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,275 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 01:07 PM

Didn't Buxton credit Rowson for that one great surge we got from him?

#55 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 949 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 28 February 2019 - 01:58 PM

Didn't Buxton credit Rowson for that one great surge we got from him?

Maybe. . . back when he was still humble.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#56 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 02:25 PM

I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but maybe it would be better if he did not sound off about how he's going to do things his own way at this point in his career. He says that he is mentally more clear now than ever, but his quotes do not really align with that. And then we have Falvey coming out right after the hospital quotes and saying Buxton is starting. I don't see any other players coming out and saying some of these type of things. Is it because they know they are not golden boys? Need to tighten this up. 

Personally I like it. Kirby Puckett was firm about what turned his hitting around -- ignoring the coaching, shutting out everybody else, and doing it the way he thought it needed to be done. No one can argue with his results.

When you look at the stars of the game, this is their approach. They do it their way.

Only good things can come from Buxton playing with a chip on his shoulder. It's how champions are made. I *love* what he is saying and I *love* his new approach.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#57 RIP BYTO

RIP BYTO

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 02:27 PM

Sometimes language is hard

• Sconnie likes this

#58 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 03:08 PM

Hard to judge without more context. The guy's been tinkered with by a number of hitting coaches the last few years. It's quite possible the reporter's questions alluded to that fact, or even just asked him who is responsible for his swing this spring, and Buxton proudly responded that he's working on it himself now.

How about judging the statements within the context of him alllegedly being a humble guy?Lot's has been said about this from when he was drafted thought his minor league tenure, but honestly never saw it.Seems more like he's a guy people worry about than anything.The first few years of his career has been all about trying to figure out ways to keep him from pressing too much.Make him feel more comfortable.The fact that his manager needed to make a point that he was coming to see him was incredible to me. Guys like Kepler, Rosario, Polanco (who was yo-yoed back and forth and out of options before you could blink) don't seem to need this level of care.

Plain and simple, a humble guy like Buxton shouldn't be making these kinds of comments if that is the type of image he wants to uphold. When he said, "I aiin't gonna sugarcoat nothin" what was he thinking?  

Sorry, but this "we don't really know the context" stuff just doesn't wash with me.he decided to say this to the reporter::

""It’s my swing, my thought process, my thinking," Buxton said. "Everything with my swing now is me. I didn’t go to no hitting coach. I didn’t go work out with nobody. I worked out by myself, I hit by myself and that’s where it’s going to stay."

I noticed when Buxton gets a little emotional or perturbed he goes into this "ain't got no" double negative thing.I know people might say, "you're reading too much into it" but I don't think that is the case at all.I am being observant.I am interested in his progress.The part that was particularly vexing to me was the "I hit by myself and that's where it is going to stay"

No need for that.Whether he thinks so or not that is a dig on Rowson, a guy who has had his back in a big way.When he says that he is really saying he isn't interested in any coaching.How is it a guy who couldn't hit his weight in the majors last season and rallied over the course of one week to raise his AAA average to just over .270 can say that?

He really needs to calm down.He explicitly stated he was "pissed" about last September.Well....it's March tomorrow, due.Get over it and just hit.

Edited by ewen21, 28 February 2019 - 03:52 PM.

#59 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 949 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 28 February 2019 - 03:54 PM

calmer-than-you-are-gif-4.gif

• USAFChief, spycake and NumberThree like this

#60 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• Members
  • 8,417 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 28 February 2019 - 04:45 PM

C491582F-2472-46E9-BF3C-975EA9710320.jpeg
  • diehardtwinsfan, KirbyDome89, Don Walcott and 2 others like this

"You can't cheat an honest man; never give a sucker an even break, or smarten up a chump." - W. C. Fields