Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Recent comments by Buxton

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
141 replies to this topic

#21 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:02 PM

He didn't need to engage there.Period.

I always heard about how humble he was.That reaction months later stunned me.He needs to be more self-aware for his own sake.

Aw, you are making too big of a deal about how a 25 year old guy answered a question. And the question was asked of Buck, not you. He answered in the way he wanted to. I'm ok with it. Actually, I like a bit of an edge in a hitter. Hitting is all about confidence. Sounds like Buck is getting his groove back. 

Edited by Kelly Vance, 27 February 2019 - 10:05 PM.

• Jerr, wagwan, alarp33 and 5 others like this

#22 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Offense: maybe potent. Pitching: ??

• Members
  • 1,891 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:07 PM

Buxton has, in the past, occurred as the 'All-American kid'. Humble, easy going, etc.

I suspect that the messing with his service time last year when he was finally healthy and raking in AAA is what prompted this response.

Let's see what happens. If he hits and is treated well that could go a long way to easing any ill will.

• NumberThree likes this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#23 Roaddog

Roaddog

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:28 AM

I think some are reading into his comments too much. Although he articulated his thoughts poorly, he's basically saying he was the one who fixed his swing. Hope he's right
  • NumberThree and Original Whizzinator like this

#24 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:40 AM

Far as I saw, Buxton was "Mollied" over the last three years.

Told to leg kick, no stride, just lift and down, "process, process, process".

I welcome this kid's aggression.

Bring it.

• wagwan, SwainZag, Lunger and 5 others like this

#25 Channing1964

Channing1964

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 164 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 28 February 2019 - 01:26 AM

i feel like he's aight. Of course we are all impatient to see him be a Superstar. I bet he is harder on himself than anybody else is. After all the frustration of last year, i guess I would have expected him to act way worse than he is. I know the Twins arent the only ones to use the service time manipulation loophole, but i just think the ownership group will end up really regretting these kind of little tricks. The players as a whole arent forgetting.
  • NumberThree likes this

#26 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 28 February 2019 - 02:17 AM

Good to hear that Buxton is trying to be self-reliant, but he needs to find a productive balance. If his hitting goes into a slump, does this mean he will refuse advice? Will he study film of his own swing and figure it out? Great, if that works. Not so great if he doesn't understand what he's doing wrong. 

Example: When Buxton first came up, he had almost no idea how to steal bases against major league pitchers and catchers. He got frustrated, and stopped trying. Fortunately, HOF player Paul Molitor taught him all the little details about stealing bases, and by mid-2018, Buxton was well-nigh unstoppable. Molitor and his coaches also taught Buxton how to bunt much better. Is all that learning over now?

Admittedly, baseball is not rocket science. It's not like figuring out advanced mathematics all on your own. However, professional coaches really do know how to teach sports. It's not much of a stretch to figure that Buxton can refine his game some more, with good coaching. 

Edited by jimbo92107, 28 February 2019 - 02:19 AM.

• birdwatcher, AlwaysinModeration and Doctor Wu like this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#27 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 02:22 AM

I'll never understand how anybody can criticize his comments regarding the service time manipulation. Not a single poster would feel differently if it was their money that was yanked away.

As for the hitting quote, is he being defiant or just self confident? Are we really going to get on the guy for putting more trust in himself than an organization that just screwed him over financially and that has been unsuccessfully messing with his swing from the time he arrived in MN?

• Han Joelo, alarp33, Oldgoat_MN and 2 others like this

#28 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 05:51 AM

I absolutely love this new defiant, angry Buxton and I think all of you criticizing him are silly and condescending.I think his humbleness was a big part of his problem. It led him to constantly tinker with his swing based on whatever the last person he spoke with told him, and so we saw he had a new one every few weeks while he was flailing at he plate. He's now taking ownership and responsibility. Good for him.

Edited by nytwinsfan, 28 February 2019 - 05:52 AM.

• Han Joelo, wagwan, alarp33 and 9 others like this

#29 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,340 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 28 February 2019 - 05:53 AM

12/11/2018
Reporter: "Did you fly in just to make the appearance?"
Buxton: "I did. That's it. Then I'm going back home."
Reporter: "That's a long day for a good cause."
Buxton: "It is, but for the kids, and for the fans, it's worth it."
Reporter: "Can I ask about the whole hub-bub at the end of the year?"
Buxton: "I mean, you probably won't get nuttin' out of me. I mean, it's business... they did what they did, I do what I do, at the end of the day, I'm still gonna keep playing hard, still wanna play in Minnesota, still wanna play beside my teammates, that's all that matters."
Reporter: "Were you, um..."
Buxton: "Pissed? Yes. I ain’t sugarcoating nuttin'".

Reporter: "It appears you might need to win your job back?"
Buxton: “Apparently so. That’s how I looked at it. I didn’t finish the year here. I have no idea what they want from me now.”
Falvey’s response: “We don’t view it that way. He’s our starting center fielder. That’s who Byron Buxton is. That’s clear to us moving forward.”

2/26/2019
Buxton spoke about changes he has made to his hitting approach.
Buxton: "It’s my swing, my thought process, my thinking. Everything with my swing now is me. I didn’t go to no hitting coach. I didn’t go work out with nobody. I worked out by myself, I hit by myself and that’s where it’s going to stay."
Reporter: Can you elaborate on the changes you made over the off-season?
Buxton: "It took last year to happen for me to figure this out. I take last year as a positive sign for me. It allowed me to free my mind, and it allowed me to go [through] this off-season clearly, to get me where I am today. Everything is out of my head. I’m clearer now than I ever was."

~~~~~~~~~

There are some good things he has said peppered in these quotes, but overall, the comments are still pretty defiant for someone who has a .230 AVG and .672 OPS over the course of 4 seasons and about 1,000 ABs. I like the confidence, and if frustration has caused him to work his tail off and prepare, that is great. He is like 5 for 8 this spring, and that is a good sign. I'd like to see him hit at that rate all year. What is not a good sign to me is the grimacing at the camera, talking about "going home", when he's still standing there at the hospital. Saying he is "pissed" and not sugarcoating anything. Saying he has no idea what the team wants from him. Saying he's not going to hit with a hitting coach and that's where it's going to stay.

I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but maybe it would be better if he did not sound off about how he's going to do things his own way at this point in his career. He says that he is mentally more clear now than ever, but his quotes do not really align with that. And then we have Falvey coming out right after the hospital quotes and saying Buxton is starting. I don't see any other players coming out and saying some of these type of things. Is it because they know they are not golden boys? Need to tighten this up.

You're absolutely right...its just you.
  • wagwan, diehardtwinsfan, Twins33 and 10 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#30 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 05:55 AM

We have little context and no inside information here. For all we know Baldelli told him to wipe away the mixed messages from previous coaches and find himself again. Thats a message i could see a good leader giving, and it certainly wouldnt preclude any future hitting advice or coaching.
  • luckylager, Han Joelo, Oldgoat_MN and 4 others like this

#31 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,264 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 28 February 2019 - 06:44 AM

He didn't need to engage there.Period.

I always heard about how humble he was.That reaction months later stunned me.He needs to be more self-aware for his own sake.

I disagree. If anything Byron has been way too humble his entire career. I like seeing a little fire from him to be honest.

• Oldgoat_MN, Kelly Vance, nytwinsfan and 2 others like this

#32 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 20,219 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 28 February 2019 - 07:19 AM

I wanted the extra year of service time back. 

I got what I wanted. 

I'm not going to keep hammering him. 

Certainly not for comments that lack the full context. 

It's is still my understanding that baseball players are flesh and blood human beings like the rest of us. 

• Jerr, Jham, NumberThree and 1 other like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#33 DrNeau

DrNeau

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Banned
  • 924 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 28 February 2019 - 07:20 AM

I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but maybe it would be better if he did not sound off about how he's going to do things his own way at this point in his career.

You're absolutely right...its just you.

So it is better if a career .230 AVG / .672 OPS player comes out and says he didn't hit with a hitting coach and that's how it's going to stay? Basically saying he is going to run his own program entirely now. He is above instruction from his coaches?

By me simply pointing this out, I don't feel it should be looked at as an attack on Buxton. I actually like Buxton a ton. I just think he's sort of setting himself up by saying these things. If he struggles, it will blow up even more, since he says this is how it's going to stay (without working with hitting coaches). I love if a player shows fire. If he wants to toughen up, all the power to him. I think the whole organization can actually use that. 

I understand the opinion that we want him to succeed by whatever means necessary. I just think there is some fallout that most definitely will occur when one player voices to the media that he is above what everyone else is expected to do. 

#34 vavo

vavo

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 07:45 AM

When Buxton first came up and struggled he suddenly had several coaches and former players giving him tips on how he should tweak his swing. He respected these opinions and wanted to succeed so he tried to implement them. But he got to be the top prospect in baseball without all those voices in his ear.

He needs to trust himself, and trust the swing that feels right to him. His incredible talent and his own know-how will get him back to being a ~.260 hitter. From there the professional coaches can help him be a .280 hitter, but it's my opinion that the over-coaching he received early on in his MLB career did him no favors.

• Oldgoat_MN, NumberThree and bighat like this

#35 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,825 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 07:57 AM

So it is better if a career .230 AVG / .672 OPS player comes out and says he didn't hit with a hitting coach and that's how it's going to stay? Basically saying he is going to run his own program entirely now. He is above instruction from his coaches?

I wouldn't read that much into it. It's not clear if a hitting coach was even offered to him early this past offseason, given the turnover and uncertainty on the Twins staff at the time. By the time Baldelli was hired and visited him, Buxton was probably quite comfortable with his own offseason program.

And the context of "that's how it's going to stay" could simply be that he doesn't want to tinker with his swing *right now*, which is completely understandable. The writer of the article certainly didn't imply that Buxton was swearing an eternal blood feud with Baldelli and Rowson, so I'm not sure why we'd isolate and interpret that one line as such.
  • NumberThree likes this

#36 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:20 AM

http://twinsdaily.co...on-buxton-r6238

"After splitting last season between toe tapping and leg kicking, Buxton proclaimed that he would be one hundred percent a leg kicker in 2017. This spring, with a newfound sense of clubhouse swagger, Buxton declared that the “leg kick is me now” and he is going to “stick with what I do.” In fact, one of his biggest influences, Torii Hunter, spent the offseason sending him encouraging text messages to stick with the leg kick."

Ain't nothing new.

Guy's been spun around by as many hitting instructors as sliders. Hunter is gone-ish. Molly and Bruno are gone. I don't think he's saying he won't take help or coaching. I think he's saying his success or failure will be his own. He obviously decided to ditch the leg kick. So it's not like he's totally against coaching.
  • Sconnie, nytwinsfan and NumberThree like this

#37 Rigby

Rigby

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:24 AM

As John Lennon said... "Whatever gets you through the night... It's alright... It's alright". 

Imagine there's no sliders.............

• ashbury, USAFChief, Jerr and 10 others like this

#38 DrNeau

DrNeau

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Banned
  • 924 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:35 AM

I don't claim that he was swearing an eternal blood feud with Baldelli and Rowson. He said he didn't hit with a hitting coach and that's how it's going to stay. 

#39 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 657 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:46 AM

I absolutely love this new defiant, angry Buxton and I think all of you criticizing him are silly and condescending.I think his humbleness was a big part of his problem. It led him to constantly tinker with his swing based on whatever the last person he spoke with told him, and so we saw he had a new one every few weeks while he was flailing at he plate. He's now taking ownership and responsibility. Good for him.

I can see both sides of this issue. On one hand, it certainly is concerning to think that he now has the mindset that he doesn't need any coaching advice and is just going to wing it by himself. But I also agree with your take on this new defiant and confident Buxton.I like that fire and passion! Get fired up and start producing like we have hoped! Really, I think in the grand scheme of things, but this may be the best way forward for him.

#40 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:50 AM

Out of proportion and out of context. I read the article. All MLB player (of all ages) get constant advice from everyone. Just like you and I get advice from our co-workers. Some of it is good advice, some is bad. As you gain experience, you learn to filter it. That's what he said in this article.

In MLB, everybody think they are a hitting coach. Other players have said the same thing, using different words. I do have questions about why the author reported his quote as he did, using words like "nuttin'" instead of actual words, like "nothin'". To me, that's the unprofessional behavior here.

• Loosey, Craig Arko, Oldgoat_MN and 5 others like this