Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Recent comments by Buxton

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
141 replies to this topic

#1 DrNeau

DrNeau

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Banned
  • 924 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:04 PM

12/11/2018

Reporter: "Did you fly in just to make the appearance?"
Buxton: "I did. That's it. Then I'm going back home." 
Reporter: "That's a long day for a good cause."
Buxton: "It is, but for the kids, and for the fans, it's worth it."
Reporter: "Can I ask about the whole hub-bub at the end of the year?"
Buxton: "I mean, you probably won't get nuttin' out of me. I mean, it's business... they did what they did, I do what I do, at the end of the day, I'm still gonna keep playing hard, still wanna play in Minnesota, still wanna play beside my teammates, that's all that matters."
Reporter: "Were you, um..."
Buxton: "Pissed? Yes. I ain’t sugarcoating nuttin'".

Reporter: "It appears you might need to win your job back?"

Buxton: “Apparently so. That’s how I looked at it. I didn’t finish the year here. I have no idea what they want from me now.”

Falvey’s response: “We don’t view it that way. He’s our starting center fielder. That’s who Byron Buxton is. That’s clear to us moving forward.”

2/26/2019

Buxton spoke about changes he has made to his hitting approach.

Buxton: "It’s my swing, my thought process, my thinking. Everything with my swing now is me. I didn’t go to no hitting coach. I didn’t go work out with nobody. I worked out by myself, I hit by myself and that’s where it’s going to stay."

Reporter: Can you elaborate on the changes you made over the off-season?

Buxton: "It took last year to happen for me to figure this out. I take last year as a positive sign for me. It allowed me to free my mind, and it allowed me to go [through] this off-season clearly, to get me where I am today. Everything is out of my head. I’m clearer now than I ever was."

~~~~~~~~~

There are some good things he has said peppered in these quotes, but overall, the comments are still pretty defiant for someone who has a .230 AVG and .672 OPS over the course of 4 seasons and about 1,000 ABs. I like the confidence, and if frustration has caused him to work his tail off and prepare, that is great. He is like 5 for 8 this spring, and that is a good sign. I'd like to see him hit at that rate all year. What is not a good sign to me is the grimacing at the camera, talking about "going home", when he's still standing there at the hospital. Saying he is "pissed" and not sugarcoating anything. Saying he has no idea what the team wants from him. Saying he's not going to hit with a hitting coach and that's where it's going to stay.

I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but maybe it would be better if he did not sound off about how he's going to do things his own way at this point in his career. He says that he is mentally more clear now than ever, but his quotes do not really align with that. And then we have Falvey coming out right after the hospital quotes and saying Buxton is starting. I don't see any other players coming out and saying some of these type of things. Is it because they know they are not golden boys? Need to tighten this up. 

Edited by DrNeau, 27 February 2019 - 09:25 PM.

• DannySD likes this

#2 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:12 PM

I'd have a more tight to the vest policy about things to begin with, but I was told that he was very humble and a high charchter guy so I was disappointed with his outburst at the children's hospital.I was sold on the idea he was not that way and for him to not have a filter during a charity even rubbed me the wrong way. 

• Longdistancetwins and DocBauer like this

#3 Shaitan

Shaitan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:15 PM

Meh. The reporter asked a question; he answered.

I wouldn't read into any baseball quotes like this. They're based on whatever was happening that day and aren't meant as an archive.

• birdwatcher, gunnarthor, raindog and 8 others like this

#4 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Time for him to just hit.Period.

I really need to hear no more about it.Just hit .250 and get back to me. If he can't do at least that he isn't all that special, speed and defense aside

• laloesch and DrNeau like this

#5 DrNeau

DrNeau

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Banned
  • 924 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

I'd have a more tight to the vest policy about things to begin with, but I was told that he was very humble and a high charchter guy so I was disappointed with his outburst at the children's hospital.I was sold on the idea he was not that way and for him to not have a filter during a charity even rubbed me the wrong way. 

"It’s my swing, my thought process, my thinking. Everything with my swing now is me. I didn’t go to no hitting coach. I didn’t go work out with nobody. I worked out by myself, I hit by myself and that’s where it’s going to stay."

Who says something like this? I hope he rips the crap out of the ball, but really, it's pretty shocking to see that quote. 

• formerly33 and ewen21 like this

#6 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:17 PM

Meh. The reporter asked a question; he answered.

I wouldn't read into any baseball quotes like this. They're based on whatever was happening that day and aren't meant as an archive.

He didn't need to engage there.Period.

I always heard about how humble he was.That reaction months later stunned me.He needs to be more self-aware for his own sake.

• formerly33, DrNeau and Jack like this

#7 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,138 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:17 PM

That is an odd quote. The best athletes in the world learn from coaches every day.
  • Mike Frasier Law, Longdistancetwins, DocBauer and 3 others like this

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#8 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:19 PM

"It’s my swing, my thought process, my thinking. Everything with my swing now is me. I didn’t go to no hitting coach. I didn’t go work out with nobody. I worked out by myself, I hit by myself and that’s where it’s going to stay."

Who says something like this? I hope he rips the crap out of the ball, but really, it's pretty shocking to see that quote. 

Those are terrible comments. Not sure what he is trying to get across there.

Don't coach me?I'm mad??

Hit and shut up.

• DrNeau and FormerMinnasotan like this

#9 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:23 PM

That is an odd quote. The best athletes in the world learn from coaches every day.

It's worse than odd, in my opinion.

What point is he trying to get across there?He's acting adversarial.  

• DrNeau likes this

#10 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,300 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:23 PM

Your 2/26 link didn't work for me, but this did:

https://www.mlb.com/...tting-mentality
  • DrNeau likes this

#11 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,138 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:25 PM

What point is he trying to get across there? He's acting adversarial.

I was trying to be nice....
  • LaBombo and DrNeau like this

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#12 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:29 PM

Your 2/26 link didn't work for me, but this did:

https://www.mlb.com/...tting-mentality

Nice recovery.Funny how the other link, though, which was there....suddenly isn't

Is the implication now that those quotes given were fabricated?

Buxton needs some help, but in the long run he can only help himself.

#13 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,300 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:31 PM

Hard to judge without more context. The guy's been tinkered with by a number of hitting coaches the last few years. It's quite possible the reporter's questions alluded to that fact, or even just asked him who is responsible for his swing this spring, and Buxton proudly responded that he's working on it himself now.
  • h2oface, blindeke, dbminn and 1 other like this

#14 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,300 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:33 PM

Nice recovery. Funny how the other link, though, which was there....suddenly isn't
Is the implication now that those quotes given were fabricated?

I think the only difference is "https" versus "http" at the beginning. The OP probably copied the address without that prefix, and software assumed it was "http" but that doesn't work.
  • Craig Arko likes this

#15 DrNeau

DrNeau

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Banned
  • 924 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:37 PM

I think the only difference is "https" versus "http" at the beginning. The OP probably copied the address without that prefix, and software assumed it was "http" but that doesn't work.

The link you sent fixed it, and it's the same article and quote. Thanks. 

#16 The Mask of Zoilo

The Mask of Zoilo

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:39 PM

What I took from his words and tone is that hes bitter about the service time manipulation and hes focused on maximizing his his skills without worrying about loyalty towards or trust in management. He believes he knows more about his swing than the team and trusts himself. To be fair, hes been on the team through two different philosophies and has probably received mixed messages regarding his approach and swing. I'm surprised that the perverse incentives of the CBA doesn't create more mercenaries. Hopefully Rocco's approach eases some of these tensions. It may be one of the reasons that they hired him.
  • peterb18, Heistyman, Don Walcott and 2 others like this

#17 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:41 PM

Those are terrible comments. Not sure what he is trying to get across there.

Don't coach me?I'm mad??

Hit and shut up.

That quote from Buxton certainly doesn't come across to me as very mature or willing to learn. Sure he ultimately has to do it himself, but if the guy is not coachable not good either. This season will tell us a lot about where he stands. Time to put up or shut up in my opinion.
  • Mike Sixel, SF Twins Fan and DrNeau like this

#18 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,760 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:45 PM

If his bitterness leads him to make the changes necessary and have a breakout?I'll take it.  

People worry about keeping him long-term, but there was also something else that needed to happen first:He had to start playing well enough for that to be a problem.

I hope for his sake, and ours as Twins fans, that this offseason was the fuel that starts the fire.

• Mike Sixel, diehardtwinsfan, Dantes929 and 7 others like this

#19 DrNeau

DrNeau

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Banned
  • 924 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:45 PM

What point is he trying to get across there?He's acting adversarial.  

If he turns the corner and becomes a great hitter this season, that would be great. Still, the comments sort of promote the idea of dismissing coaching and running your own show. That is not good for an organization, plain and simple. The behaviors, if allowed, will be repeated by other players. 

Edited by DrNeau, 27 February 2019 - 09:46 PM.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#20 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 20,557 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:51 PM

As John Lennon said... "Whatever gets you through the night... It's alright... It's alright". 

• ashbury and Rigby like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!