Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

With Marwin on board, dangle Rosie for controllable pitching?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 nater79a

nater79a

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 04:40 PM

I threw this out on Twitter today....  

Eddie Rosario could bring back some much needed pitching.

Could Gonzalez hold down LF until both Kirilloff and Kepler are manning the corner outfield spots?Maybe as early as later this season?  

In '20, if Jonathon Schoop is gone, could Gonzalez move to the middle infield (with Polanco) until Royce Lewis is ready?

Thoughts?

Edited by nater79a, 22 February 2019 - 04:43 PM.

• nytwinsfan likes this

#2 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,539 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 22 February 2019 - 04:57 PM

Trade last year's best player, who is controlable. Not my idea of how to make the(a) team better. There is upgrade pitching available, and it is getting cheaper by the day.

• Thrylos, darin617, jimbo92107 and 8 others like this

#3 S.

S.

• Members
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 05:31 PM

While we're at it, why don't we just trade Berrios too? Then we'll be ready for 2022 when our next round of prospects pans out as well as the current batch! 

• bighat likes this

#4 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 05:43 PM

Trade last year's best player, who is controlable. Not my idea of how to make the(a) team better. There is upgrade pitching available, and it is getting cheaper by the day.

I'm with this. Keuchel and Gio Gonzalez are still available on the SP market. Kimbrel on the RP side. Do one of these before you trade Rosario. But get it done soon or forget it, these guys need to be in ST soon.

• h2oface likes this

#5 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 28,312 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 05:49 PM

If Rosario is their best player this year, not good.

I doubt he returns a legit MLB starter all that better than what they have. Now, in a package? Sure.

But I wonder who is available?
  • Platoon likes this
Have. Not of. Have a great day.

#6 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:02 PM

Would not be opposed to trading Rosario - but as always, would be interested in seeing a specific proposal before giving an opinion.

#7 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:03 PM

or maybe dangle marwin for controllable pitching?

#8 jkcarew

jkcarew

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:10 PM

You get worse in LF so you can get better starting pitching? It would have to be a great opportunity...the kind you don’t think will come around again when Kirilloff is established.

Rosario is better than Gonzalez overall as an everyday left-fielder. Gonzalez’s value is in the fact that he can be a solid league-average (Maybe abit more) offensive player as a utility guy. He’s better offensively than most utility player...players that can function defensively beyond corner OF and 1B. Which is more valuable in the era of 3-man benches.
  • birdwatcher and Dman like this

#9 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,754 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:16 PM

or maybe dangle marwin for controllable pitching?

2ue9qt.jpg

• Twins33, Sconnie, Platoon and 4 others like this

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into. -- Jonathan Swift

#10 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,944 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:19 PM

Not since the spawning of an aging asparagus have I heard such a dismal prospect. Even Tampa Bay doesn't trade a guy before he hits his peak. If death of snake bodes evil, trade of Rosario just spells trouble. Even a Yugo needs a spark plug, and that's just what Rosie provides - the plug that sparks this team to its heady glory. 

Obviously we cannot bond permanently to our favorite players, nor can we put all our plugs in one basket. If Rosie brought us Kershaw, that's worth considering. A horse on the mound is worth two in the field. Otherwise, if baseball is sixty percent pitching, then an average pitcher is sixty percent of losing.

I'd keep Rosie around until somebody better comes along. That's nobody on today's Twins.

• DocBauer likes this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#11 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 28,312 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:28 PM

Of course trading for a controlled pitcher means three or more years. Kirilloff will be here by then....

Not sure how people expect to get better if they won't trade good players. I'd rather have Wade or Cave or Rooker or Kirilloff and another number three starter, than Rosario and what's his name they just signed.
  • Twins33 and TheLeviathan like this
Have. Not of. Have a great day.

#12 dbminn

dbminn

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 624 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:31 PM

Jay Jaffe adds his 2 cents about the Marwin signing at FanGraphs. 

• TheLeviathan likes this

#13 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,133 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:52 PM

I can see why a Rosario trade would make sense, but I'd leave that for the 2019-2020 offseason. Or maybe if we're doing terribly at the trade deadline again. But certainly not now.

• diehardtwinsfan, Dman, nytwinsfan and 1 other like this

#14 weitz41

weitz41

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:10 PM

That's just post fodder! Sign Kimbrel and either make Cleveland earn it or play a 5 game series in October..

#15 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,539 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:37 PM

If Rosario is their best player this year, not good.

Respectfully, how can you say that? He could have a MVP year and be the best player again, for all we know. That would be great! We can't assume last year will be better or worse.

Edited by h2oface, 22 February 2019 - 07:38 PM.

• adorduan, dbminn, Rigby and 2 others like this

#16 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:05 PM

You trade from depth. But having a 4th outfielder and a budding AA outfielder is not depth to me (yet).

• DocBauer likes this

#17 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,132 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:33 PM

Not since the spawning of an aging asparagus have I heard such a dismal prospect. Even Tampa Bay doesn't trade a guy before he hits his peak. If death of snake bodes evil, trade of Rosario just spells trouble. Even a Yugo needs a spark plug, and that's just what Rosie provides - the plug that sparks this team to its heady glory.

Obviously we cannot bond permanently to our favorite players, nor can we put all our plugs in one basket. If Rosie brought us Kershaw, that's worth considering. A horse on the mound is worth two in the field. Otherwise, if baseball is sixty percent pitching, then an average pitcher is sixty percent of losing.

I'd keep Rosie around until somebody better comes along. That's nobody on today's Twins.

Yugo Florida sold in the US from 1989-1991 was a diesel.... so nope.... Yugo did not “need a spark plug”. ;)
http://www.autosavan...sel-technology/

As an added bonus Yugos were made until 2008!
  • Joe A. Preusser likes this

#18 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:43 PM

Creative thinking.

Not a chance.

#19 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 4,056 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:46 PM

I don’t see the market.

You need to find a team that wants to trade a good starting pitcher. They need to be contending or they wouldn’t want a return of a guy already in arbitration.

If they are contending why not just go out and sign a Gonzalez or Jones? If they are not contending why not go after prospects?

During the season a deal like Lawton for Reed might be feasible but even then the supply of left fielders is going to be greater than the supply of starting pitching.

#20 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:57 PM

Of course trading for a controlled pitcher means three or more years. Kirilloff will be here by then....

Not sure how people expect to get better if they won't trade good players. I'd rather have Wade or Cave or Rooker or Kirilloff and another number three starter, than Rosario and what's his name they just signed.

Get lucky. Sign better talent. make smart extensions. Better player development. Smart coaching and player usage. Bringing up prospects who can contribute. And trading prospects for more immediate or certain returns. These are all also ways to get better. I'm dubious as to who would trade for Rosario in exchange for a young controllable pitcher sp upgrades the staff. Who has that much pitching?

Edited by Jham, 22 February 2019 - 08:58 PM.