Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Have to Do Something About the Bullpen

fernando romero addison reed martin perez adalberto mejia taylor rogers
  • Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 spycake

spycake

• 17,156 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 01:09 PM

They moved Romero to the pen and picked up Blake Parker. They have a number of extra arms ready to come to MLB if needed and worthy (Gonsalves, Stewart for example).This is NOT the year to go get a Fernando Rodney or Matt Belisle - type..Let's see what this staff can do.We can bolster the pen and other parts of the team if the team proves itself worthy during the season.Add at the deadline if appropriate; otherwise run with what we have!

I've got news for you: Blake Parker is probably a Fernando Rodney-type. :)

In addition to Rodney, we also lost Pressly from the 2018 pen, which is going to counteract some of the potential benefit from adding Romero and hopefully a full season of May.

I might understand waiting if the proposed price was a costly trade -- but the cost appears to be just money in free agency right now. Why wait? Even if we added the most expensive option in Kimbrel, we'd still have enough flexibility to add additional salary at the deadline if necessary (since we'd only have to pay a deadline acquisition for 2 months).

What exactly is the upside to "wait and see" besides money in Pohlad's pocket? Giving a nice long leash to Hildenberger or Magill?

• birdwatcher, diehardtwinsfan, adorduan and 2 others like this

#22 cmoss84

cmoss84

Ft Myers Miracle

• 466 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 20 February 2019 - 01:28 PM

Kimbrel would be amazing. offer whatever it takes.

Worst case: we sell him off at the deadline because we are out of it. Multiple teams would give up excellent prospects for Kimbrel to enhance their post season push. Like, multiple top-100 guys. 

Best case...we finally have an elite closer and make our own post season push. 

Don't see it happening. But would be amazing. 

• Einheri likes this

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#23 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,694 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 20 February 2019 - 01:30 PM

The ONLY one to get is Kimbrel. Sure, he could fall off the earth and become horrible. But at least we would have tried instead of just hoped and prayed. Plus, we really don't have a mountain man beard on the team yet - or did he shave to start the new year?

I am so tired of the crap that other teams don't even want anymore, but this FO sees as ready to fix. Until they get a couple of successful reclaimation projects under their belt, why does one think this staff can be the saviors? Last year, they did just the opposite. Took a consistent Reed, and he totally tanked. Same with Lynn. 

Kimbrel. Kimbrel. KIMBREL. KIMBREL!

And then get Marwin Gonzalez. I can't believe he is still available.

Edited by h2oface, 20 February 2019 - 01:33 PM.

• Einheri likes this

#24 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,211 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 01:58 PM

I agree that adding quality would be nice. I don't care how many career innings that quality has thrown, though.

• Danchat likes this

#25 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 02:10 PM

This isn't a bullpen that will scare opposing teams, that's for sure.

c'est la vie.All of us would have done this differently during the offseason.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#26 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,741 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 20 February 2019 - 02:32 PM

Mejia is out of options, so I'm guessing he's in the pen picture unless someone gets hurt (and I think he'd do well). Romero (as much as I don't like that) has a good shot of being there too, and I have to think he'd do quite well in the pen next season as well.

We should get Kimbrel, so at the very least we can keep Romero starting.

• nicksaviking and TheLeviathan like this

#27 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,522 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 20 February 2019 - 02:56 PM

I would LOVE to see the Twins sign Kimbrel, but unless he comes off of his demand of a 5 year deal, it shouldn't happen.

#28 brockbesler

brockbesler

Elizabethton Twins

• 21 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:14 PM

I wonder if a 4 year $64 million contract with an opt out after year 2 would be enough to get Kimbrel.

#29 LylesCrocodiles

LylesCrocodiles

Elizabethton Twins

• 19 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 04:09 PM

Kimbrel would change my perception of the staff in general. He’s a 70 inning Ace. I would take Norris. He is a Parker-esce arm who has some closing experience. Otherwise I want to see the young kids get there chance.

#30 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,752 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 04:38 PM

I hate to say it, but this BP is may be a dumpster fire waiting for lighter fluid and a match. Rocco may find himself on the horns of the same dilemma Molitor had - not enough Starting pitching to go more than 5-6 innings a game and not enough Relief pitching to cover 3-4 innings game after game. Molitor handled it by overusing RPs.That didn't work because the overused guys got tired or hurt and the others didn't develop. To paraphrase Einstein- Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results. Can't do it the Molitor way again.

So, we gotta try something different.It sure would've been nice to get some better RPs in or starters who can go longer, but we have what we have. So, I expect to see May, Rogers, Romero, Reed, Parker and Hildenberger to get a lot of high leverage innings. Also maybe Magill or Vasquez, Duffy (kill me) and even Mejia, Moya or Reed. The last few innings of a close Twins game are going to be entertaining for all of the wrong reasons. Let the roller coaster ride begin! 

#31 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,538 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 04:41 PM

I hate to say it, but this BP is may be a dumpster fire waiting for lighter fluid and a match. Rocco may find himself on the horns of the same dilemma Molitor had - not enough Starting pitching to go more than 5-6 innings a game and not enough Relief pitching to cover 3-4 innings game after game. Molitor handled it by overusing RPs. That didn't work because the overused guys got tired or hurt and the others didn't develop. To paraphrase Einstein - Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results. Can't do it the Molitor way again.

So, we gotta try something different. It sure would've been nice to get some better RPs in or starters who can go longer, but we have what we have. So, I expect to see May, Rogers, Romero, Reed, Parker and Hildenberger to get a lot of high leverage innings. Also maybe Magill or Vasquez, Duffy (kill me) and even Mejia, Moya or Reed. The last few innings of a close Twins game are going to be entertaining for all of the wrong reasons. Let the roller coaster ride begin!

If Baldelli goes into the season with relatively equal confidence in May, Romero, Reed, Rogers, Parker and Hildenberger there is little chance they get overworked unless the starters consistently fail to get out of the 5th inning.
  • Minny505 and caninatl04 like this

#32 djvang

djvang

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 116 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 05:14 PM

The ONLY one to get is Kimbrel. Sure, he could fall off the earth and become horrible. But at least we would have tried instead of just hoped and prayed. Plus, we really don't have a mountain man beard on the team yet - or did he shave to start the new year?

I am so tired of the crap that other teams don't even want anymore, but this FO sees as ready to fix. Until they get a couple of successful reclaimation projects under their belt, why does one think this staff can be the saviors? Last year, they did just the opposite. Took a consistent Reed, and he totally tanked. Same with Lynn. 

Kimbrel. Kimbrel. KIMBREL. KIMBREL!

And then get Marwin Gonzalez. I can't believe he is still available.

No. He should be banned from baseball just for that ridiculous Karate Kid thing he does.

#33 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Fort Walton Beach Jets

• 1,109 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 05:25 PM

The ONLY one to get is Kimbrel.

Kimbrel. Kimbrel. KIMBREL. KIMBREL!

Totally off topic ....

This reminded me of a time I was leaving a Slayer concert at Roy Wilkins Auditorium.

#34 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,825 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 05:27 PM

I will keep up the mantra - the current bullpen use is unsustainable.We need a new paradigm.  https://fivethirtyei...odern-baseball/With the average of 4 pitchers per game including starters I see a minimum of 162 x 3 appearances for the year - 486 games (and we have not gotten into the starter yet).With the 8 pitchers you list in the BP an equal distribution of appearances would have them all at 60!Then you do not want the manager to blow out their arms.This does not work. 

#35 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,461 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 06:28 PM

Well, I always like to look ahed with the crystal ball. Who will be in the pen in 2020 and 2021. Will any of these guys be a closer-in-training in 2019? If not, then we need to BUY a closer.

Not a lot of hold over salary, and enough names in the minors to make us forget people like Duffy and Addison in the near future. Addison Reed is more of a tradechip now than a solution.

What is the status of Romero as being a rotation stud? Seems a shame to doom him to the bullpen if he has any promise as being a major arm...unless he can become the light's out closer we need...next day.

I'm happy with the bullpen. A veteran closer would be a plus and the Twins can afford the investment if there IS an arm that won't stick it to your payroll in years 2-3-or-4 of a contract.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#36 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,240 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 06:43 PM

If Baldelli goes into the season with relatively equal confidence in May, Romero, Reed, Rogers, Parker and Hildenberger there is little chance they get overworked unless the starters consistently fail to get out of the 5th inning.

I’d like there to be better delegation than under Molitor, but if he goes INTO the season with equal confidence in Reed and Hildenberger, my confidence in Baldelli might take a hit. I want to see those two rebound before I trust them. Reed with his velocity, Hildenberger with his command.

Currently I’d be OK if neither made the team if they didn’t prove those things in spring training, which would be difficult.

#37 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:14 PM

If they do nothing, they'll have to overpay at the deadline.If they sign Kimbrel and the season doesn't go as planned...you still have one heck of an asset.With the money available, it's malfeasance to do nothing.

• Mike Sixel, h2oface, Sconnie and 3 others like this

#38 blindeke

blindeke

• 513 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:11 PM

The answer is simple: Ramos for Capps.

• KirbyDome89 likes this

#39 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,211 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:19 PM

I will keep up the mantra - the current bullpen use is unsustainable.We need a new paradigm.  https://fivethirtyei...odern-baseball/With the average of 4 pitchers per game including starters I see a minimum of 162 x 3 appearances for the year - 486 games (and we have not gotten into the starter yet).With the 8 pitchers you list in the BP an equal distribution of appearances would have them all at 60!Then you do not want the manager to blow out their arms.This does not work. 

Is that assuming that a team doesn't make any roster moves after April 1? Considering injuries, trades, roster emergencies, parental leave, etc, I don't see the issue.

#40 old nurse

old nurse

• 3,872 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:19 PM

If Romero and Mejia are on a pattern of pitching 2-3 innings twice a weekthat shifts things considerably.

• Sconnie and howieramone2 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fernando romero, addison reed, martin perez, adalberto mejia, taylor rogers