Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Report From The Fort: Looking For A Bounceback (Part 2)

trevor hildenberger addison reed
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:22 AM

Rocco may find himself on the horns of the same dilemma Molitor had - not enough Starting pitching to go more than 5-6 innings a game and not enough Relief pitching to cover 3-4 innings game after game. Molitor handled it by overusing RPs.That didn't work because the overused guys got tired or hurt and the others didn't develop. To paraphrase Einstein- Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results. Can't do it the Molitor way again.

So, we gotta try something different.It sure would've been nice to get some better RPs in or starters who can go longer, but we have what we have. So, I expect to see May, Rogers, Romero, Reed, Parker and Hildenberger to get a lot of high leverage innings. Also maybe Magill or Vasquez, Duffy (kill me) and even Mejia, Moya or Reed. The last few innings of a close Twins game are going to be entertaining for all of the wrong reasons. Let the roller coaster ride begin!

Liking this post or not...and I do/did...i have NEVER liked the "insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting different results" comment. That is NOT the definition of insanity, though poignant. Is that comment truly from Einstein? I consider myself to be a pretty smart and intelligent individual, but always wondered where that comment came from.

NOT absolving Molitor for limited arms on hand, nor blaming him or injuries, but there were times when you just had to let a game go, or toss someone to the mound and hope for the best, instead of abusing and over using the trusted arms you had.

I agree with the recent article by Tom, the bullpen has a low floor but a pretty high ceiling. I still would rather have Romero and Mejia starting, maybe even piggybacking one another, even alternating for the 5th rotation spot.

But what do I know? Maybe Romero is destined to be the next great Twins closer. Is that a bad thing?

I keep hearing Odorizzi had his worst year. But I also read he was among the top X SP in many categories. Pineda, healthy, could be very good. I hate that there are so many questions. But I'm also excited about so much potential.
  • brvama and Sconnie like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#22 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Twins Mods
  • 4,562 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:01 AM

Liking this post or not...and I do/did...i have NEVER liked the "insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting different results" comment. That is NOT the definition of insanity, though poignant. Is that comment truly from Einstein? I consider myself to be a pretty smart and intelligent individual, but always wondered where that comment came from.

NOT absolving Molitor for limited arms on hand, nor blaming him or injuries, but there were times when you just had to let a game go, or toss someone to the mound and hope for the best, instead of abusing and over using the trusted arms you had.

I agree with the recent article by Tom, the bullpen has a low floor but a pretty high ceiling. I still would rather have Romero and Mejia starting, maybe even piggybacking one another, even alternating for the 5th rotation spot.

But what do I know? Maybe Romero is destined to be the next great Twins closer. Is that a bad thing?

I keep hearing Odorizzi had his worst year. But I also read he was among the top X SP in many categories. Pineda, healthy, could be very good. I hate that there are so many questions. But I'm also excited about so much potential.

If the innings per start is down to 5.2 then relief innings per game is 3.1 - the roster size stays the same, so doesn't the average relief appearance need to increase?

If pace of play such a concern, shouldn't the roster shrink? that would force longer relief appearances. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

#23 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:48 AM

I'm not very concerned about Baldelli managing the bullpen.The Rays excelled at getting the most out of inexperienced arms.He should have a much better grasp on when and where to use guys than Molitor's daily routine approach, 7th inning = player a, 8th inning =player b, etc.I would assume Baldelli's role in analytics for the Rays included who was best suited to face certain hitters.

• Original Whizzinator likes this

#24 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:04 AM

Based on some admittedly limited research, it is unclear whether Einstein actually said "Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results” or something close to it. This quote is attributed to him by some, some claim he never said that or anything close to it , and some even say the attribution is an example of the so-called "Matthew effect" - where a saying or witticism comes from a group but is attributed only to its most famous member.I'm not sure if that's a reference to the Gospel of Matthew, but I think it is. 

Well. we are now waaaay above my intellectual pay grade. I'm with Tom and DocBauer. The present bullpen is the most variable element on this team - high ceiling, low floor, and not a lot of obvious help at AAA. What surprises me a little is that it doesn't look like the composition is going to change when NIck Vincent and Adam Warren are still available. Both in their early 30s with a decent track record, and both would seem to be a good way to strengthen the BP depth for middle inning and occasional late inning work without costing too much. Has anyone heard anything about what's happening with these guys or anyone else that could help our BP other than Kimbrel (too expensive, not coming to MN) or Madsen (too old, also not coming to MN)?

#25 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,642 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:26 AM

The Twins need to get bullpen serious.

It’s easier said than done but it has to happen.

7 or 8 guys in the pen... whatever it takes but the manager has to believe in all 7 or 8 guys. If the manager or front office doesn’t trust a guy to Hang zero... get him off the roster or on the DL so you can try someone else.

No one can afford to burn a roster spot and I will no longer tolerate a manager handing the ball to a guy who is failing just because it was determined previously that he was supposed to be better. That is simply putting your food in a broken microwave over and over again hoping it will cook the food this time.

There are moments in life when you have to build a fire to try something else or go hungry.

We went hungry because we kept thinking the microwave would start working again.
  • DocBauer likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#26 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,005 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:54 AM

At least we don't have a rule 5 guy they have no intention of using on the roster this year. I'll not lightly forget how badly teh roster was managed last year (especially since everyone knew Hughes was done.....two pitchers they'd never use on the roster).

• jorgenswest and Original Whizzinator like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#27 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:08 AM

At least we don't have a rule 5 guy they have no intention of using on the roster this year. I'll not lightly forget how badly teh roster was managed last year (especially since everyone knew Hughes was done.....two pitchers they'd never use on the roster).

Kinley was on the team 2 weeks or so. Moya was another mistake. Common sense dictated, they had to let the Hughes thing play out and they hit a grand slam there. Those fools in San Diego gave us 7.25M for the 74th pick in the 2109 draft. That's the stuff of legends.

• Original Whizzinator likes this

#28 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,618 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:18 AM

I'm less confident in a bounce back from these two. Sidearmers in general just seem to have a limited window of success. Most seem to have a novelty about them which works for awhile until batters catch on. Hildenberger doesn't appear to have great command either. 

I think Reed needs to get back those 2 MPH he lost on his fastball or he's going to get shelled. He doesn't have an offspeed pitch and his slider has never been particularly effective, last year in particular.

Not that I'm worried these two couldn't easily be replaced if needed.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#29 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,005 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:39 PM

Kinley was on the team 2 weeks or so. Moya was another mistake. Common sense dictated, they had to let the Hughes thing play out and they hit a grand slam there. Those fools in San Diego gave us 7.25M for the 74th pick in the 2109 draft. That's the stuff of legends.

I couldn't disagree more strongly. All that money did was make the owners more money. I'd rather have the draft pick, 100x out of 100x. 

• Twins33 likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#30 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:48 PM

I know one way of helping Hildenberger bounce back. Don't have him pitch to Lindor!

Or trade his quirk to another team. The league is not fooled. The more he pitches to them, the less they will be fooled, but don't use that as a selling point. Use bounce back candidate.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trevor hildenberger, addison reed