Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Manny Machado to the Padres

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,822 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 11:34 AM

According to Jeff Passan, the first big domino has fallen as the Padres and Manny Machado have agreed to terms.

Recent reports were that the Padres had offered somewhere between 8 years and $240-280 million. Apparently no one topped it. Itll be interesting to see what the final tally is.

Mark Feinsand is reporting 10 years, $300 million.

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,421 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 February 2019 - 11:37 AM

The San Diego Dads are going to be a fun team to watch...
  • birdwatcher likes this

#3 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 11:42 AM

At least it's not the White Sox...

• Carole Keller, birdwatcher, Twins33 and 20 others like this

#4 drbob524

drbob524

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 11:50 AM

I was super worried he would sign there. We already have Lindor in the division, didnt need Manny.

• birdwatcher, Twins33, markos and 1 other like this

#5 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 11:57 AM

2020 - 2022 they will be paying the amounts below annually. 

Manny Machado about 30M (not sure exactly how the contract is built yet)

Wil Myers 22.5M (only making 5.5M in 2019)

Eric Hosmer 21M

73.5M total for 3 players on a team that usually spends about 90-110M. I would argue that these 3 seasons are "peak window" for them.Better hope those good prospects pan out right out of the gate, especially on the starting pitching side.

Edited by SomeGuy, 19 February 2019 - 12:04 PM.

• gil4, Mike Frasier Law, nicksaviking and 4 others like this

#6 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 11:58 AM

This is a big break for the Twins, especially, of all of the Central teams.

• Puckett34, Mike Frasier Law and David HK like this

#7 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:03 PM

Will Myers 22.5M (only making 5.5M in 2019)

Eric Hosmer 21M

73.5M total for 3 players on a team that usually spends about 90-110M. I would argue that these 3 seasons are "peak window" for them.Better hope those good prospects pan out right out of the gate, especially on the starting pitching side.

Yeah, interesting to see how an also-ran, below-.500 club with a shaky core just went out and signed Manny to the biggest contract in the history of American sports. Looks like they weren't concerned about a "competition window", they just saw a great player and grabbed him. Good for San Diego.

• Carole Keller, Otwins, Sconnie and 5 others like this

#8 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:04 PM

Will Myers 22.5M (only making 5.5M in 2019)

Eric Hosmer 21M

Right now their SP is awful. They have some nice young guns in the pipeline. But we well know that some don't pan out and others have struggles before they solidify themselves. Myers and Hosmer are expensive baggage. I see just more struggles ahead for SD.

• howieramone2 and Original Whizzinator like this

#9 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:06 PM

Dang! 

With Sano's injured heal in a walking boot (not kidding) and soon to be amputated (kidding, of course - I hope) I was hoping the Twins would pull the trigger and get Manny...(Kidding again, sort of)

Edited by puckstopper1, 19 February 2019 - 12:07 PM.

• bighat likes this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#10 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:08 PM

So after the PR nightmare of a top free agent still being unsigned in spring training...the resolution was going to an underachieving organization where he'll likely be buried by mediocrity and obscurity? Sounds like the PR and marketing problems for MLB continue.

#11 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 20,208 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:21 PM

I think it’s funny that Machado signed with a team that Yonder Alonso USED to play for.

#nicetrywhitesox
  • nicksaviking, big dog, blindeke and 1 other like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#12 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:25 PM

Right now their SP is awful. They have some nice young guns in the pipeline. But we well know that some don't pan out and others have struggles before they solidify themselves. Myers and Hosmer are expensive baggage. I see just more struggles ahead for SD.

Yeah looking at the current depth chart on MLB.comtheir most experienced pitcher of the starting 5 is Robbie Erlin with 257 innings and a 4.40 ERA. Five of the six listed as their starting rotation were rookies last season.They might get Garret Richards back from Tommy John late this season.

I am familiar with Joey Lucchesi from fantasy leagues and prospect status, he is pretty good. But this seems like a really bad group unless they all make substantial strides. 

#13 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:28 PM

So after the PR nightmare of a top free agent still being unsigned in spring training...the resolution was going to an underachieving organization where he'll likely be buried by mediocrity and obscurity? Sounds like the PR and marketing problems for MLB continue.

That underwhelming organization did offer him the most money and a record contract for American sports.Doesn't seem like that much of a PR issue.

Bryce Harper has also reportedly turned down 2 contracts of this same value.Doesn't seem like the issue of them still being free agents was the teams fault.

I'm predicting Manny's record contract is broken in the next few days.

Edited by SomeGuy, 19 February 2019 - 12:35 PM.

#14 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:35 PM

That underwhelming organization did offer him the most money and a record contract for American sports. Doesn't seem like that much of a PR issue.

Bryce Harper has also reportedly turned down at least 2 contracts of this same value. Doesn't seem like the issue of them still being free agents was the teams fault.

I’m not even saying it’s any team’s fault. Just that baseball in general is having a lot of problems marketing themselves and their players. Having free agent fiascos like your top names be unsigned in spring training takes away from the positive press that should be surrounding this time of the year. Then to top it Machado goes to a market that typically is uncompetitive and an afterthought nationally. This is the league that can’t even market Trout in L.A....
  • markos likes this

#15 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,133 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:53 PM

Well, we got what we wanted - one team finally caved in and overpaid him. They had better start gearing up to win soon and not spend the rest of his prime on a bad roster. They did lose 96 games last year...

I’ll assume Harper will demand more, and he’ll probably get it, but I’m not sure who will pay him it.
  • David HK and Original Whizzinator like this

#16 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:00 PM

I’m not even saying it’s any team’s fault. Just that baseball in general is having a lot of problems marketing themselves and their players. Having free agent fiascos like your top names be unsigned in spring training takes away from the positive press that should be surrounding this time of the year. Then to top it Machado goes to a market that typically is uncompetitive and an afterthought nationally. This is the league that can’t even market Trout in L.A....

Players like Machado should not be restricted to only the popular teams.Machado to the Padres is not a problem for the league as a whole.Competitive balance should always outweigh jersey sales. 

• Tibs and dbminn like this

#17 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,351 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:04 PM

Yeah, interesting to see how an also-ran, below-.500 club with a shaky core just went out and signed Manny to the biggest contract in the history of American sports. Looks like they weren't concerned about a "competition window", they just saw a great player and grabbed him. Good for San Diego.

I would have taken Machado here, but after their terrible Hosmer and Myers deals, I really questing that organization's decision making skills. Maybe third time's a charm.

• birdwatcher, Dman, David HK and 2 others like this

#18 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:14 PM

It will be interesting to see how the flexibility of the Twins compares with this set lineup over the next 5 or so years.Two completely different strategies, I am probably leaning Twins since the Padres were already looking at overpays that will potentially be dead contracts before adding this 10 year deal.They will likely be depending on their "shaky core" much more than we will.

• bighat and Original Whizzinator like this

#19 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,236 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:22 PM

But....but....they're a small market!How can this be?

(What's our sarcasm font here?We should establish that....)

• gunnarthor, Rigby, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

#20 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:29 PM

The Padres must be thinking they can avoid breaking the bank by just bringing up wave after wave of league-minimum elite prospects and re-stocking the pipeline by trading players bumping up against their perceived salary threshholds. It just might work. That farm system is obscenely good and unfathomably deep. I like their chances to pull this decision off.

• Dman and Don Walcott like this