Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Mailbag: Duda In, Gordon’s Future, Contention Time

lucas duda nick gordon bryce harper manny machado clark beeker
  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:38 AM

"I suspect Mariner games are also broadcast in British Columbia. When Ichiro was there, they had a following in Japan as well. Although, that was likely online and not part of a cable deal."

The Mariners' games were shown live on NHK on the weekends when Ichiro played, so NHK forked over big time cash to the "dai-league" and Seattle certainly gets their cut. The Angels/Mariners games are going to be the big ticket item for 2019.

#42 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:05 AM

I suspect Mariner games are also broadcast in British Columbia.

On radio, yes. But not much on TV. As of 2014, "a Mariners game will occasionally be simulcast on Sportsnet Pacific but not enough to make it a consistent viewing habit."

http://ca.sports.yah...-073118544.html

All of Canada is considered Blue Jays territory. But, the Blue Jays elect not to enforce any MLB.TV blackouts, so fans in Vancouver can simply watch every Mariners game on MLB.TV.

Here's a tweet from the Mariners TV network (Root Sports Northwest) actually advising Canadian viewers to watch on MLB.TV in 2018 (and also showing pitcher James Paxton being visited by an eagle at Target Field):

#43 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:21 PM

I don't understand why people suddenly the Twins to spend like a top 10 team. These are two analytics guys. The whole premise behind bringing them in was to build a competitive cost-effective club.

They are not going to take costly risks by definition. About the only time they might is if this team has a more stable core. Not sure why so many are challenged by this notion

I don't know why you'd say that is the premise behind analytics. Terry Ryan had the same premise, without analytics, and we moved on from him. The premise behind analytics could just as well be to identify smart risks to take.

Also, everyone focuses on the extremes of Buxton and Sano -- but we actually have a pretty stable core right now. By definition, it would be hard for a young team to average 82 wins these past two seasons without a stable core. Berrios and Gibson look like 3-4 WAR SP for 2019, and Berrios has 4 years of control left. Rosario, Kepler, and Polanco all look like steady 3 WAR players, each with 4 years of control too. A couple elite prospects not far away too.

Look like Fangraphs projects us to 83 wins, with only 2 WAR each from Buxton and Sano. We don't need to wait until we're projected for 90 wins, or at 90 wins, to supplement with significant external talent. (You are correct that this front office might wait until that point, and might not land a player then anyway -- but that doesn't mean it's right.)

• sweetmusicviola16 likes this

#44 Supfin99

Supfin99

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:28 PM

I don't know why you'd say that is the premise behind analytics. Terry Ryan had the same premise, without analytics, and we moved on from him. The premise behind analytics could just as well be to identify smart risks to take.

Also, everyone focuses on the extremes of Buxton and Sano -- but we actually have a pretty stable core right now. By definition, it would be hard for a young team to average 82 wins these past two seasons without a stable core. Berrios and Gibson look like 3-4 WAR SP for 2019, and Berrios has 4 years of control left. Rosario, Kepler, and Polanco all look like steady 3 WAR players, each with 4 years of control too. A couple elite prospects not far away too.

Look like Fangraphs projects us to 83 wins, with only 2 WAR each from Buxton and Sano. We don't need to wait until we're projected for 90 wins, or at 90 wins, to supplement with significant external talent. (You are correct that this front office might wait until that point, and might not land a player then anyway -- but that doesn't mean it's right.)

What significant talent are we going to bring in right now?Harper?Honestly is he going to sign here unless he gets 10 years and 350 mil?I doubt it.Keuchel?I'm guessing he is going to want 4 years if not 5 to come here.Is he worth 5 years 100 mil when his peripheral stats have declined for 3 straight years and he's 31?If he was why wouldn't his own club, who knows him better than anyone, be making some sort of effort to resign him?The Astros potentially will lose both Cole and Verlander after this season but have made no move to resign Keuchel.Seriously what does that say?And signing guys isn't just about money.It also takes up a roster spot and costs the Twins draft picks and signing pool money.When do we give a serious chance to perform to the 7 young pitchers who have already pitched at least at AAA if not the majors?Kimbrel?This is the one I'd give serious consideration too.But according to one report the Twins have made an offer to Kimbrel for 3/45.It is still up to the player to say yes.

#45 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Twins Mods
  • 4,637 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:25 PM

Exactly... Waiting on the core to show something is just plain bad strategy.

If they show something this year... you'll want the proper support to augment the improved performance.

If they don't show something this year... You'll want the proper support to try and remain competitive.

Our 2019 level of breakouts and bounce backs or lack thereof... isn't just worse case scenario or best case scenario... the possibilities are everywhere in between worst and best case scenarios. No matter what... proper support is necessary because we are not the Orioles in need of a complete tear down.

If we are in need of a complete tear down... the organization is broken.

it does make me wonder if Falvine are hoping for bounce back seasons from Sano and Buxton to trade the away. Is the plan all along to wait for 2021?

#46 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,805 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:43 PM

it does make me wonder if Falvine are hoping for bounce back seasons from Sano and Buxton to trade the away. Is the plan all along to wait for 2021?

Who knows but restoring trade value is a big part of any equation. It isn’t just what they can do for us. You have to consider what they could also bring us.
  • Sconnie and sweetmusicviola16 like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lucas duda, nick gordon, bryce harper, manny machado, clark beeker