Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Starter Or Reliever, That Is The Romero Question

fernando romero johan santana derek falvey wes johnson rocco baldelli
  • Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,888 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:44 PM

Starter.

Case closed.

• TheLeviathan likes this

#42 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:47 PM

As per the photo atop this article-

Whichever role Romero winds up in, I'm just glad that no Minny pitchers have to hand the ball back to Molly this year.

• ChrisKnutson likes this

#43 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,916 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:57 AM

Stick him in the pen, and tell him his new nickname is "Johan." If he develops that third pitch during the season, try him out as a starter. Otherwise, leave him in the pen for this season, then re-evaluate next spring. 

• David HK likes this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#44 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Wahoo

• Members
  • 315 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:25 AM

The only reason, besides the old adage you can never have enough pitching, to sign Perez that I can think of is maybe they know something about Mejia's health that we don't.
  • howieramone2 likes this

#45 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:37 AM

I would love to see him as the 5th starter this year.If he isn't the 5th starter, he needs to be in the bullpen and not in AAA.It was mentioned before that the Cardinals do this with their young arms.I would like to see Romero learn to pitch and get batters out at this level in either role.To me, AAA is not an option for him.

• David HK likes this

#46 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,529 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:21 AM

The only reason, besides the old adage you can never have enough pitching, to sign Perez that I can think of is maybe they know something about Mejia's health that we don't.

Someone posted a tidbit about Kyle Gibson losing a lot of weight due to a bacterial infection, shortly after the signing, and I couldn't help wondering about that connection, if true.

Gradually a shot rang out.-- Snoopy, flying near the speed of sound

#47 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 20,152 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:08 PM

As of February 12, 2019... It is possible to throw 140 innings or more out of a (non-traditional) bullpen.

It matters not... if the the pitcher gets those 140 plus innings by starting at the beginning of the game or if the pitcher comes into the game in a different inning down the line. 

Starters can throw less than 5 innings and relievers can throw more than 1 inning. 

The only question or concern I will have is this: Will he deserve to throw 140 innings based on his performance, as it happens? 

I will absolutely have both eyes and ears on utilization this year and every year in the future. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#48 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:44 PM

Even with modern usage starters are still more valuable. A smart front office would have signed any number of affordable free agents to fortify the bullpen so Romero could develop as a starter in Rochester. He would hopefully been ready to be in the rotation later this summer or for sure next summer when we have one starter under contract
  • Mike Sixel and howieramone2 like this

#49 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 20,152 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:38 PM

Even with modern usage starters are still more valuable. A smart front office would have signed any number of affordable free agents to fortify the bullpen so Romero could develop as a starter in Rochester. He would hopefully been ready to be in the rotation later this summer or for sure next summer when we have one starter under contract

Starters are absolutely more valuable. Good starters that is. And of course I’m talking in the traditional sense. But... Bad starters will kill you completely and consistently and teams are rolling out bad starters just to fit a traditional model.

Even with modern usage. The goal is still to get more innings out of your top performers.

If Romero is hanging zeros in the majors. Give him more innings to hang those zero. This effectively stretches him out regardless if he starts or comes in later.

If he isn’t hanging zeros. He should go to Rochester for that reason and throw innings down there to improve.

What I don’t want to see is 60 good innings when he is capable of 140 good innings. It’s a waste of 80 good innings.

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#50 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:02 PM

“Starters are more valuable”

I still remember Gardy claiming that Santana was more valuable pitching “3 or 4 times a week than once a week”.

He mis-stated usage both ways to fit his narrative. Being used 3 times a week would be 78 appearances. 4 times a week would be 104. Starters typically pitch 3 times every 2 weeks.

#51 Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil

• Members
  • 767 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:38 PM

I have no idea why the top 4 starter spots are considered locks. Gibson and Berrios yes. Beyond that we got big question marks. Didn't Odorizi and Penida have like 4.40 era's in both of their last full seasons?

Edited by Dr. Evil, 13 February 2019 - 08:49 PM.

#52 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:45 AM

I would love to see him as the 5th starter this year.If he isn't the 5th starter, he needs to be in the bullpen and not in AAA.It was mentioned before that the Cardinals do this with their young arms.I would like to see Romero learn to pitch and get batters out at this level in either role.To me, AAA is not an option for him.

That's a big, "I concur, Dr."

#53 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,017 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 05:16 PM

I would really, really like to keep this kid in the rotation.I get why people are excited about him in the bullpen, but that excitement should get squashed real soon when you think about our rotation options without him.

• diehardtwinsfan likes this

#54 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 11:39 AM

It looks like we have our answer to this question:

Twins manager Rocco Baldelli told reporters that RHP Fernando Romero will be converted into a reliever this spring.
Baldelli said Romero will start "training for shorter stints" as the spring unfolds. Romero made 11 starts as a rookie last year, going 3-3 with a 4.69 ERA and 1.42 WHIP. He struck out 45 batters in 55 2/3 innings. It was a solid debut season for the 24-year-old right-hander but the new coaching staff in Minnesota wants to try him in the bullpen, at least for now. Romero put up promising stats in his minor league career and many observers are optimistic about his potential to be a successful starter in the major leagues if given the chance.

With the lack of bullpen signings, the writing was on the wall for this one. I can imagine they'll try to work him into high-leverage situations if he starts the season well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fernando romero, johan santana, derek falvey, wes johnson, rocco baldelli