Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

End of the FA line and ST about to start. Which of these 3 do you want?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,189 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:36 PM

Hallelujia! Spring training is about to start and will be better in the world with baseball! Especially for those of us who live in the northern hemisphere! To those who dont...welll...I will be polite and just wish a silly emoji with his tongue out and wish you a good day. Lol

But what I find so interesting in these last glowing coals of the Hot Stove League is rumors. And we all know what you can do with rumors! We've heard rumors the Twins were looking at Grandal, at least briefly, which meant more money spent. There have been reports the Twins may be in on Kimbrel for their bullpen on a short term deal for 2yrs at $20M. There have been opions, rumors, that the Twins would be a landing spot for SP Keuchel. There has been no rumors regarding Marwin Gonszalez, unfortunately. But rumors have persisted that the Twins have actually been looking to add to 2019 and payroll.

Push is coming to shove. Deals are going to be made soon. And I think we all know the Twins are not involved in Harper or Machado.

Accepting rumors as anything close to fact, and dollars and years being somewhat debatable, which of Kimbrel, Keuchel and Gonzalez would you want the Twins to bring on board?
  • glunn, nicksaviking, nytwinsfan and 1 other like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#2 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,524 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:52 PM

You spelled Harper wrong.

Edited by Mike Sixel, 09 February 2019 - 10:31 PM.

• USAFChief, gil4, Twins33 and 6 others like this

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#3 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 10:13 PM

We got Lucas Dudas for a couple of million, which means Tyler Austin might not be in the plans at all.

• Sconnie likes this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#4 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 10:21 PM

We got Lucas Dudas for a couple of million, which means Tyler Austin might not be in the plans at all.

The writing is now officially on the wall.Not to say that more competition is better. Wasnot stated he has a opt out, so he could be stashed in Rochester if needed. 

• Sconnie likes this

#5 Wizard11

Wizard11

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:46 AM

Kimbrel

#6 Channing1964

Channing1964

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:14 AM

Gonzalez....because i dont trust Sano yet

#7 nclahammer

nclahammer

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 05:29 AM

I like Keuchel on a 1 or 2 year deal.Gonzalez is not needed, already have depth in OF and IF.

#8 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:34 AM

I like Keuchel on a 1 or 2 year deal. Gonzalez is not needed, already have depth in OF and IF.

feeling good about Mike Olt?
  • jud6312 likes this

#9 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:50 AM

All of them.

There are so many holes on this team signing one guy won't do anything.

However, getting an Escobar replacement, a number 2 starters, and a top line closer might.

#10 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:24 AM

feeling good about Mike Olt?

For 3B depth I am feeling good about Astudillo.

I would love to have Gonzales for this year as an upgrade over Adrianza but I don’t want him on a three year deal and I think that is why he remains unavailable. I think his glove will be declining pushing him to a corner and any decline in his bat will not fit well on a corner. I would be interested in a one year deal but pitching is a higher priority.
  • Sconnie likes this

#11 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,260 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:32 AM

I'm not enthused about Gonzalez. His bat only looks good in the context of the skill positions, except he's not skilled there. His bat does not look good in the context of corner positions. I don't see him as making the team any better than Adrianza does, whose profile basically is the mirror image of Gonzalez's. Both are tweeners in their individual ways, neither is someone you want as a starter, so why pay some kind of salary premium for one over the other?

• glunn, birdwatcher, whosafraidofluigirussolo and 2 others like this

I don't have to tell you it goes without saying there are some things better left unsaid. I think that speaks for itself. The less said about it, the better. -- George Carlin

#12 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,051 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:37 AM

Yeah Marwin Gonzalez only filled in everywhere on a WS contending team... Why would we need him here?
  • ashbury and Steve Lein like this

#13 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 23,804 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:47 AM

You spelled Harper wrong.

You spelled Machado wrong.
  • Carole Keller, Mike Sixel, gil4 and 5 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#14 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,260 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:09 AM

Yeah Marwin Gonzalez only filled in everywhere on a WS contending team... Why would we need him here?

And at the price they had him for, he made sense.

Moreover, now that he is free to negotiate his own price, they said "go ahead, good luck". Maybe he won't get more than what he got last year, and they'll still have him back.

This year's Twins payroll still has headroom, but I'd sooner spend it on one of the pitchers named (if a short enough contract), than on someone I see as a wash with somebody we already have. I didn't say he was worse than Adrianza. I just don't think he's, you know, better. If you do, then to pay differential makes sense.

• Mike Sixel and DocBauer like this

I don't have to tell you it goes without saying there are some things better left unsaid. I think that speaks for itself. The less said about it, the better. -- George Carlin

#15 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,524 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:15 AM

You spelled Machado wrong.

That would not disappoint me.

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#16 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:48 AM

I'd rather pay $20 million/year for 200 innings than 60. I'd also rather sign up Keuchel to 4 years than 1 or 2. I expect he'll be a top-end starter for another 4-6 years. And he'd really help out our young guys in learning how to pitch.

#17 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:54 AM

At this point I'm wondering what a proportional effort as a fan looks like relative to this organization's off-season effort.

XFL is back right?

#18 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,051 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:05 PM

And at the price they had him for, he made sense.

Moreover, now that he is free to negotiate his own price, they said "go ahead, good luck". Maybe he won't get more than what he got last year, and they'll still have him back.

This year's Twins payroll still has headroom, but I'd sooner spend it on one of the pitchers named (if a short enough contract), than on someone I see as a wash with somebody we already have. I didn't say he was worse than Adrianza. I just don't think he's, you know, better. If you do, then to pay differential makes sense.

I do find Gonzalez markedly better than Adrianza... Gonzalez has a career 111 OPS+ over his last 5 years, and has logged innings all over the field, with the exception of pitcher and catcher. Adrianza has a career OPS+ of 80...

Also, let's be honest about Twins free agent options. Kimbrel isn't coming here. Kuechel is a long shot.

Edited by Vanimal46, 10 February 2019 - 12:09 PM.

• Steve Lein and KirbyDome89 like this

#19 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:37 PM

For 3B depth I am feeling good about Astudillo.

I would love to have Gonzales for this year as an upgrade over Adrianza but I don’t want him on a three year deal and I think that is why he remains unavailable. I think his glove will be declining pushing him to a corner and any decline in his bat will not fit well on a corner. I would be interested in a one year deal but pitching is a higher priority.

Between Garver’s concussion and Castro’s knee having reasonable possibility of recurrence, I get the feeling there will be plenty of opportunity/need for Astudillo behind the dish. I like Astudillo’s bat where ever I can get it, save for first base. There’s only about 30% of the 40 man roster devoted to first/DH.

Edited by Sconnie, 10 February 2019 - 12:38 PM.

• DocBauer and sweetmusicviola16 like this

#20 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 01:12 PM

If all it takes to land Keuchel is to offer him a 5 year deal, then so be it. I mean, it’s not like his success has been dependant on his ability to generate high velocity anyways, so why are some people so worried about that now?? He just turned 30, and I have plenty of confidence that he’ll provide consistent value throughout the entirety of a 5 year deal. Besides, 1-2 extra years will only lower his AAV, something I’m all for. Does 5yrs/$75M seem reasonable??
  • glunn and sweetmusicviola16 like this