Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins Non-Roster Invites, including Lucas Duda

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,586 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:11 PM

Duda replaces Austin if the Twins can't keep him. They have signed 25+ minor league free agents. Looks like no room at the Rochester roster for in-house prospects this season...except in the possibly already full rotation of arms. Go figure.

Of course, injuries and releases will change things up as spring training progresses. 

Sometimes, though, insted of the few million in some of these guaranteed contracts, wished they would actually get a usuable 25-man player who MIGHT be better than anyone on the current roster.

I just read where King Theo invited 37.

#22 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:50 AM

I suppose about the best thing of signing Duda to this deal is there really isn't any harm in it and he may surprise you a bit but I still don't totally get the logic of it.

#23 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:18 AM

Reading the comments on this thread I have to say ST is needed, we are all going bonkers over minor signings (we only have one major one) and speculating about signing players we wish but won't get.Now I see this Camptown Races references and I am forced to look up the lyrics and of course the first three lines made me think of the players we have signed and will be at ST : (slight alteration)

"Well, he came down there with his hat caved in
Oh he'll go back home with my pocket full of tin oh doo-dah day
Goin' to run all night, goin' to run all day
I'll bet my money on the bobtail Cron, somebody bet on the Austin."

So to all of you Camptown ladies who are posting on this site - "Well, the Camptown ladies sing this song doodah doodah"

• ashbury and Tomj14 like this

#24 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 21,100 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:06 AM

I looked up who said "he plays bat", and it was our own Gene Mauch when Glenn Adams was purchased from the Giants, I bet in his standard slightly-condescending style, in response to concern about Adams's defensive shortcomings.

It seems like we are signing guy after guy about whom our front office is saying this now. More broadly, we're assembling quite a collection of very similar looking players in various categories - interchangeable fourth outfielders, he-plays-bat guys for DH and grit-your-teeth 1B duty, pitchers with AAA credentials who haven't established themselves yet.

There's an awful lot of sorting-out to be accomplished during the short weeks in Ft Myers this Spring, of the nature, "just pick one, there's not a great deal of difference among the lot, the choice isn't really going to be that consequential, is it?" If the guys they do eventually keep get all the coaching attention they need, then no problem, but I hope we don't discover that effort was spread too thin.

• gil4 likes this

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

#25 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:35 AM

I don’t think signing someone like Adam Rosales is any different than the Twins signing me to a minor league deal. Neither one of us has any kind of shot at the MLB roster. Why fill up ST with these types instead of bringing in all the young guys and letting them rub shoulders with Berrios and Cruz?
  • Mike Sixel and jud6312 like this

#26 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:35 AM

I don’t think signing someone like Adam Rosales is any different than the Twins signing me to a minor league deal. Neither one of us has any kind of shot at the MLB roster. Why fill up ST with these types instead of bringing in all the young guys and letting them rub shoulders with Berrios and Cruz?

I don't want anyone rubbing Berrios' right shoulder except for the trainer. Keep it safe and far away from the starry-eyed mob of youngsters!

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#27 Splash45

Splash45

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:56 AM

If we lose 2 middle infielders at some point during the season we very well could see Rosales get brought up, so it’s not like there’s no shot he gets called up.

#28 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:36 PM

I looked up who said "he plays bat", and it was our own Gene Mauch when Glenn Adams was purchased from the Giants, I bet in his standard slightly-condescending style, in response to concern about Adams's defensive shortcomings.

It seems like we are signing guy after guy about whom our front office is saying this now. More broadly, we're assembling quite a collection of very similar looking players in various categories - interchangeable fourth outfielders, he-plays-bat guys for DH and grit-your-teeth 1B duty, pitchers with AAA credentials who haven't established themselves yet.

There's an awful lot of sorting-out to be accomplished during the short weeks in Ft Myers this Spring, of the nature, "just pick one, there's not a great deal of difference among the lot, the choice isn't really going to be that consequential, is it?" If the guys they do eventually keep get all the coaching attention they need, then no problem, but I hope we don't discover that effort was spread too thin.

This reminds me of signing Byungho Park when we had both 1B and DH sewn up. Duda does not fit anywhere and the Twins are screwing somebody with this signing, as we again have 1B and DH sewn up. Like Park, he's not much of an upgrade, if one at all, to the current options.

In the meantime, the Twins don't have a bullpen they can trust, so this seems like a waste of time....

I like Duda (if anything his weakness is he wears down during games, thus he's not "clutch" unless he comes off the bench). I don't know why he takes a deal like this unless he was promised he has a strong chance to make the roster, and if promises like this are being made to him I have no clue what this team is doing. Whatever happens will cause drama in the clubhouse.

Edited by Doomtints, 11 February 2019 - 12:38 PM.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#29 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,585 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:43 PM

I agree with John and Aaron's assessment on the latest Gleeman and the Geek. This is a backup plan for CJ Cron... Just in case if he doesn't have it and they decide to pay him a million and change to go away.

I don't know why Falvine loves a platoon 1B/DH combo but you can squint and see a possibility of Duda/Austin splitting the duties.
  • Otwins likes this

#30 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:10 PM

If we lose 2 middle infielders at some point during the season we very well could see Rosales get brought up, so it’s not like there’s no shot he gets called up.

Torreyes, Gordon, Astudillo, and Arraez are all capable of playing 2B, while the first two can play SS, and are already on the 40 man roster.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#31 Splash45

Splash45

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:53 PM

Torreyes, Gordon, Astudillo, and Arraez are all capable of playing 2B, while the first two can play SS, and are already on the 40 man roster.

If Gordon is hitting like he did at AAA last year they won’t want to call him up, and Astudillo and Arraez can’t play short. I’m not saying it’s likely he’s needed in the bigs but it not out of the question either.

#32 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:25 PM

If Gordon is hitting like he did at AAA last year they won’t want to call him up, and Astudillo and Arraez can’t play short. I’m not saying it’s likely he’s needed in the bigs but it not out of the question either.

Gordon will certainly be called up before Rosales and I already stated those two don’t play SS. I did forget however that Schoop played some short last year for the playoff bound Brewers.

#33 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:44 PM

Gordon will certainly be called up before Rosales and I already stated those two don’t play SS. I did forget however that Schoop played some short last year for the playoff bound Brewers.

Yeah, that battle for the fourth team shortstop could go all different directions.
  • gil4 likes this

#34 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,949 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:43 PM

The one new name on the list is 1B/OF Lucas Duda.

Please do not say so.Last time he played the OF (LF) in earnest was about 5 seasons ago and he was worse than a bucket of balls in the position.He was drafted as an OF, but Sano is a gold glover out there compared to him...

• Mike Sixel likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#35 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,811 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:20 PM

I'm surprised he didn't add Adams' glove into the fire with Willie Norwood's. Maybe he just had no expectations to begin with for Adams

• ashbury likes this

#36 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,933 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:54 PM

I don’t think I’ve seen you before. However if he somehow sticks with the Twins for two or three years, and the #10 prospect makes his way up to the bigs, there could potentially be a 9-3 double play, with the call:

“And a diving catch by Akil “Yabba Dah” Badoo, he gets up and tosses it in to Lucas “Zippety” Duda, this is going to be an easy double play!”

I'm imagining that call right now, in Halsey Hall's voice...

:jump::):jump:

• USAFChief and gil4 like this