Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins Non-Roster Invites, including Lucas Duda

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,560 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:06 PM

Dustin Morse of the Twins tweeted out the full list of Twins non-roster invites this morning. The one new name on the list is 1B/OF Lucas Duda.

Pitchers:

LHP - Tim Collins, Justin Nicolino

RHP - Chase De Jong, Ryan Eades, Preston Guilmet, Ryne Harper, Mike Morin, Jake Reed

Catchers:

Brian Navarreto, Ben Rortvedt, Wynston Sawyer and Tomas Telis

Infielders:

Dean Anna, Randy Cesar, Lucas Duda, Royce Lewis, and Adam Rosales

Outfielders:

Alex Kirilloff, Luke Raley, and Brent Rooker

The Twins also announced EIGHT guest instructors:

Rod Carew, Bert Blyleven, Michael Cuddyer, LaTroy Hawkins, Torii Hunter, Justin Morneau, Joe Nathan and Tony Oliva. 

Pitchers and catchers first workout is Thursday (Feb 14). First full-squad is Monday (Feb 18)

• glunn and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#2 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,937 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:21 PM

I'm interested to see Duda on the list, he'd make for a nice depth option in AAA. I was high on him a couple years ago, but now he's fallen into the "hits for power, low batting average, tons of strikeouts" archetype that's a dime a dozen now. I like Cron and Austin better, but comparing the numbers between Duda and Cron, they're not all that different. The main difference between the two (other than being 29 and 33 years old) is that Cron had a career year in 2018 and Duda's numbers plummeted in 2018.

Edited by Danchat, 09 February 2019 - 01:22 PM.

• glunn likes this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#3 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Twins Mods
  • 10,803 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:55 PM

1. Congrats to the young guys going to their first Big League camp

2. Rooker listed as outfielder, which I guess makes three corners outfielders of Kirilloff, Rooker, and Larnach.

3. Lucas Duda? Not sure what this front office's fixation is with these types of guys. I agree with Danchat re Duda and Cron. And, didn't they also sign Wilin Rosario this week. Seems very inefficient to me. They could have offered Mauer a modest one year extension last summer to play one more year. I'd take a Mauer/Austin platoon (with some Sano and Kepler playing a little 1B too) over all of these other guys they have acquired since 2018 ended. That's just my opinion and I know people have disagreed.

4. Hurry up and get baseball started!
  • glunn, Halsey Hall and mikelink45 like this

#4 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:12 PM

Duda? I like it. Its an milb with an ST invite. Can't go wrong or sign too many of these guys. These only cost $$$$ if they make the MLB team.

This doesn't stop us from signing Kimbrel or Marwin Gonzalez.

• glunn likes this

#5 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,937 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:27 PM

1. Congrats to the young guys going to their first Big League camp

2. Rooker listed as outfielder, which I guess makes three corners outfielders of Kirilloff, Rooker, and Larnach.

3. Lucas Duda? Not sure what this front office's fixation is with these types of guys. I agree with Danchat re Duda and Cron. And, didn't they also sign Wilin Rosario this week. Seems very inefficient to me. They could have offered Mauer a modest one year extension last summer to play one more year. I'd take a Mauer/Austin platoon (with some Sano and Kepler playing a little 1B too) over all of these other guys they have acquired since 2018 ended. That's just my opinion and I know people have disagreed.

4. Hurry up and get baseball started!

It seemed like once Mauer had that concussion last season, that sealed his retirement. Plus I’d rather see younger guys play 1B in a season where they don’t seem to be pushing their chips in.
  • glunn, mikelink45, wsnydes and 1 other like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#6 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Twins Mods
  • 10,803 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:37 PM

It seemed like once Mauer had that concussion last season, that sealed his retirement. Plus I’d rather see younger guys play 1B in a season where they don’t seem to be pushing their chips in.

Granted, there was a point last summer where the Mauer retirement became inevitable. But as for young guys playing first, I don't know who is young, unless we're talking about Austin, Kepler or Sano, or counting 29 as young (Cron).

#7 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 23,501 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 09 February 2019 - 03:10 PM

They could have offered Mauer a modest one year extension last summer to play one more year.

Granted, there was a point last summer where the Mauer retirement became inevitable.

DmN-5eLU0AACaMh.jpg

Norman. Please coordinate. :)

(And, I'm sorry, yes, I confess to taking part in the transformation of a Lucas Duda thread into a Joe Mauer thread. The glazed expression above probably represents my role. :) )

• glunn, Hosken Bombo Disco, David HK and 2 others like this

So, in conclusion, what was your question again?

#8 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 03:11 PM

My name is Luca I live on the second floor! :)
  • ashbury, glunn, Hosken Bombo Disco and 2 others like this

#9 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Twins Mods
  • 10,803 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 03:21 PM

DmN-5eLU0AACaMh.jpg

Norman. Please coordinate. :)

(And, I'm sorry, yes, I confess to taking part in the transformation of a Lucas Duda thread into a Joe Mauer thread. The glazed expression above probably represents my role. :) )

No, it was aimed at me, I own it. :)
  • ashbury and glunn like this

#10 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,449 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 05:36 AM

I don’t think I’ve seen you before. However if he somehow sticks with the Twins for two or three years, and the #10 prospect makes his way up to the bigs, there could potentially be a 9-3 double play, with the call:

“And a diving catch by Akil “Yabba Dah” Badoo, he gets up and tosses it in to Lucas “Zippety” Duda, this is going to be an easy double play!”
  • ashbury, USAFChief, glunn and 6 others like this

#11 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 23,501 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:21 AM

and tosses it in to Lucas “Zippety” Duda

If FalVine had realized this signing might subject us to the potential of a season full of Suzanne Vega and Song of the South references, they would have said, why bother. :)

/ edit - and now Lebowski - read on...

/ edit^2 - and Stephen Foster checks in...

• glunn and operation mindcrime like this

So, in conclusion, what was your question again?

#12 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,619 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:45 AM

If FalVine had realized this signing might subject us to the potential of a season full of Suzanne Vega and Song of the South references, they would have said, why bother. :)

False.

They would have said "BONUS!!!1!1"
  • ashbury, glunn, Sconnie and 1 other like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#13 The Mask of Zoilo

The Mask of Zoilo

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:05 AM

Duda? I like it. Its an milb with an ST invite. Can't go wrong or sign too many of these guys. These only cost $$$$ if they make the MLB team.

This doesn't stop us from signing Kimbrel or Marwin Gonzalez.

Duda can still mash righties. If the roster expands to 26, I can see him making the 26 as a lefty bench bat or as the lefty half of a platoon if Cron or Cruz are hurt or struggling. He is one of the worst hitters in the majors though against lefties and can only play first.
  • glunn likes this

#14 The Mask of Zoilo

The Mask of Zoilo

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:08 AM

“And a diving catch by Akil “Yabba Dah” Badoo, he gets up and tosses it in to Lucas “Zippety” Duda, this is going to be an easy double play!”[/quote]

Duda bides!!!
  • ashbury, USAFChief, glunn and 2 others like this

#15 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:39 AM

Duda replaces Austin if the Twins can't keep him. They have signed 25+ minor league free agents. Looks like no room at the Rochester roster for in-house prospects this season...except in the possibly already full rotation of arms. Go figure.

Of course, injuries and releases will change things up as spring training progresses. 

Sometimes, though, insted of the few million in some of these guaranteed contracts, wished they would actually get a usuable 25-man player who MIGHT be better than anyone on the current roster.

• glunn, mikelink45, Rigby and 1 other like this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#16 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:41 AM

lucas just turned 33. duda, duda. no time in left since '014. oh duda day.

• ashbury, USAFChief, BK432 and 3 others like this

#17 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Portland Beavers

• Members
  • 1,079 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:09 PM

This must be the song the Twins sing when they Race to the Camp Down in Florida.

• USAFChief and operation mindcrime like this

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#18 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 01:49 PM

I'm surprised Duda takes a deal like this, but hey that's on him. If he doesn't make the team (he won't), he won't putz around in the minors for the Twins.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#19 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:08 PM

Didn’t we have one of these last year?

#20 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Twins Mods
  • 4,582 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:10 PM

Stephen Foster checks in again
  • operation mindcrime likes this