Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Pohlads Bidding to Buy FSN

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,431 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:56 PM

Bloomberg is reporting that Jim Pohlad, along with the owners of the Detroit Pistons and Atlanta Braves, may be making a bid to buy FSN and some other Fox Sports regional networks. 

The networks are currently owned by 21st Century Fox, but as the company is subject to a $71 billion takeover by Walt Disney Co. – which owns ESPN – regulators want it to be sold as part of the deal.

Bring Me the News wrote much more about it here:

https://bringmethene...ox-sports-north

There are 21 regional stations that 21st Century Fox is trying to sell and want to sell them in bulk.

Should be interesting. 

• glunn likes this

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 03:11 PM

That should make it easier for the Twins to negotiate a more favorable TV deal. Or a much worse one I guess. 

• glunn, Otwins and DocBauer like this

#3 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 03:17 PM

That should make it easier for the Twins to negotiate a more favorable TV deal. Or a much worse one I guess. 

Yeah, I agree.

This will come down to who does he like more his TV company or his Baseball company.  

• glunn and nicksaviking like this

#4 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 03:28 PM

Yeah, I agree.

This will come down to who does he like more his TV company or his Baseball company.  

Whichever is more financially beneficial

• beckmt and Sconnie like this

#5 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 03:39 PM

Now we know why he won't spend any money on the team this year.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#6 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 04:43 PM

Gotta do something with the Mauer money.

• Mike Sixel and TheLeviathan like this

#7 jctwins

jctwins

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:13 AM

So much for the Pohlads, or any of the owners for that matter, arguing for improving pace of play.

• Jerr likes this

#8 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 10,073 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:51 AM

I suspect that Disney reached out to baseball team owners, because it makes sense for them to do what the Yankees and Red Sox do and be at least partial owners of the networks that cover the teams.

This was not initiated by the owners for sure.It was initiated by the take over of Fox by Disney and the anti-trust laws that indicate that the Fox Sports stations should be spun off, since Disney owns ESPN.

Very logical thing to do for all parties involved and has absolutely nothing to do with the Twins on-field performance in 2019

Edited by Thrylos, 09 February 2019 - 09:51 AM.

• glunn, birdwatcher, brvama and 3 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#9 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 10:45 AM

Can't wait for this. We all may recall how great Victory sports turned out for the Pohlads.

• Mike Sixel and Sconnie like this

#10 jctwins

jctwins

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:04 PM

Can't wait for this. We all may recall how great Victory sports turned out for the Pohlads.

I would hope they acquire the existing provider relationships along with the network, so it's different in that they aren't starting from scratch. 

But yeah, I'm not looking forward to the Pohlads directly owning yet another entity that is Twins related.

#11 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,485 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:41 PM

go 96 was also a testament to Pohlad’s expertise with media ownership as well

#12 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:01 PM

I would hope they acquire the existing provider relationships along with the network, so it's different in that they aren't starting from scratch. 

But yeah, I'm not looking forward to the Pohlads directly owning yet another entity that is Twins related.

Once they get control they could demand more money from cable & satellite companies once their current agreement can be changed.

• glunn likes this

#13 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,906 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:46 PM

Yeah, I agree.

A crappy TV deal means more revenue sharing so....

• glunn likes this

#14 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,239 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 09 February 2019 - 08:06 PM

Once they get control they could demand more money from cable & satellite companies once their current agreement can be changed.

Squeezing the cable companies, while the cable companies are bleeding would be counter productive to what they are probably trying to do here. 

Cable is bleeding while that cable bill is getting higher, keep in mind that no content costs more than sports.

About 20 bucks of each cable bill goes to ESPN and Fox. Have you ever met that person who could care less about sports. That person pays 20 bucks a month for ESPN and Fox and never watches it. This makes it vulnerable. As the price of cable goes up... the cords get cut and eventually the cable companies are going to say to Fox... "We're out" and baseball (all sports) will lose access to this (getting smaller) yet still large and important audience. 

There is no guarantee that digital is going to be there with a check to pick up the pieces when Fox and ESPN kills the traditional model with pure greed. The way people consume content is changing, behavior is changing and with that... the economic models must change along with it. 

This is a smart move for Pohlad. It gives him control of his content. The landscape is changing fast and it's going to be tricky navigation ahead. WIth control they can help prop up cable while working simultaneously with increased digital. 

The future is here and baseball will need to be everywhere... everybody is... just to roll with the changes.  

• glunn, DocBauer, ToddlerHarmon and 1 other like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#15 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,271 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:07 PM

Squeezing the cable companies, while the cable companies are bleeding would be counter productive to what they are probably trying to do here. 

Cable is bleeding while that cable bill is getting higher, keep in mind that no content costs more than sports.

About 20 bucks of each cable bill goes to ESPN and Fox. Have you ever met that person who could care less about sports. That person pays 20 bucks a month for ESPN and Fox and never watches it. This makes it vulnerable. As the price of cable goes up... the cords get cut and eventually the cable companies are going to say to Fox... "We're out" and baseball (all sports) will lose access to this (getting smaller) yet still large and important audience. 

There is no guarantee that digital is going to be there with a check to pick up the pieces when Fox and ESPN kills the traditional model with pure greed. The way people consume content is changing, behavior is changing and with that... the economic models must change along with it. 

This is a smart move for Pohlad. It gives him control of his content. The landscape is changing fast and it's going to be tricky navigation ahead. WIth control they can help prop up cable while working simultaneously with increased digital. 

The future is here and baseball will need to be everywhere... everybody is... just to roll with the changes.

I work for a communications company. I see first hand what is going on. For the third year in a row, the FCC is raising taxes on a "sports" addendum. This is a promotion/bailout, however you want to describe it for ESPN and Disney and the huge contracts they have with various sports contracts. If you've paid any attention at all to ESPN, you've seen changes in some programming, but mostly what you have seen, or read about, is changing their leadership and hosts to cut costs. And Brian is absolutely correct when he talks about the costs to TV providers regarding sports channels. For most channels, there is a fixed rate. But for ESPN, there has always been an escalated rate based on leadership that far exceeds the cost of any other channel. The "Mothership" is broken, and Disney is looking for help via taxation.

First of all, and I don't care if the Pohlad's are billionaires or not...ALL sports owners are so get over it...this is a business situation.

Secondly, anyone who can continue to bring sports broadcasting to the public without a single monopoly owning everything is a pretty good thing.

Thirdly this is NOT about the Twins directly. In the multi-billion dollar industry that is tele-communications, a Mauer contract not being spent is NOTHING. However, controlling interest in the wide expanse of the Fox market could open financial dollars for the Twins and their network. A network that has long been described as poor from a financial aspect.

If this comes to pass, it will have NO affect on the Twins whatsoever, other than possibly, a positive one.
  • glunn, Riverbrian, 70charger and 3 others like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#16 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 10:18 PM

At some point in time we will all be in an al carte type of system.Most users are going to be able to get their local channels one way or another fairly cheap.Then it's a question of do you add on a DVR type system and/or buy whatever packages you want for streaming.Buying the individual packages for each channel will be too expensive, so it will be mix and match.But if you are not interested in buying a lot of the secondary channel of TV content, sports packages might be the way to go.  

I know their are other semi - legal ways to do this, but the future in murky and this is probably the Pohlad's best chance to control their future.  

• glunn likes this

#17 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,793 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:26 PM

Cool. I’m a big fan of content providers also owning the content. That has worked really well for American audiences over the past 20 years.
  • glunn, Riverbrian and TheLeviathan like this

#18 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,485 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:44 AM

There is no guarantee that digital is going to be there with a check to pick up the pieces when Fox and ESPN kills the traditional model with pure greed. The way people consume content is changing, behavior is changing and with that... the economic models must change along with it.

while every other program gets fast forwarded through the commercials, sports are watched live. The add revenue for sports is climbing while other TV add revenue shrinks. Until MLB cuts out cable co, owning the regional sports networks is a boon.

If the team owners succeed, the current model is likely to continue for quite some time.

If the MLB succeed in their bid for all 21(I think) networks together, it could hasten the move to only streaming.
  • glunn and Riverbrian like this