Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins should be taking advantage of this market

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#21 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 03:49 PM

I am all for it if they can get Keuchel, Kimbrel, Harper, & Machado in one year deals.

That will cost them their first 3 picks, and about 4 players (who will have to be DFA'd or there is no space for them because they are out of options.)There were rivers virtual tears when De Jong was DFA'd, cannot wait to see what happens when they have to get rid of Austin, Granite, Mejia, and Hildenberger ;)

Unless you believe that the signing of any of those four is at the level of Perez I'm not sure why you'd expect objections. 

• birdwatcher likes this

#22 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 04:48 PM

As presently constructed, I'm not sure this pitching staff is capable of winning 70 games. It is truly awful.

#23 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:50 PM

As presently constructed, I'm not sure this pitching staff is capable of winning 70 games. It is truly awful.

The rest of the division besides Cleveland look really bad. White Sox are really close to turning it around.

• Sconnie and bighat like this

#24 akmanak

akmanak

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:55 AM

I am not really understanding on why people are so crazy about Harper. Yup he hit 34 home runs last year but he also batted .249 which is by no means lights out.

I would much rather that we would sign Machado which we wont but it is fun to day dream.
  • killertwinfan likes this

#25 Number3

Number3

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:39 AM

Plus most of those home runs were hit in April and May and he had to play Joe Mauer to get his average "up" to .249. If they paid Harper $35mil/yr for 2 years you might as well kiss the 2019/20 seasons goodbye. It won't happen anyway because Harper and his agent are still convinced that he is the second coming of the entire Hall of Fame.

What part of the 2018 Baltimore Orioles and LA Dodgers is so hard to figure out as far as Machado is concerned? Machado piles up stats but does not come through in the clutch and is disruptive on a roster. Twins need to play up to their potential and they should stay in the playoff hunt as is.

Edited by Number3, 12 February 2019 - 08:40 AM.

• woolywoolhouse likes this

#26 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 28,072 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:37 AM

The Dodgers have an all star third basemen and short stop. Returning from injury. They are one of the few teams that can say they don't need Machado.

I don't think people are doing a good job of comparing Harper to other players. It's pretty easy to do since he entered the league. It's right in fangraphs. Also, great players, this young, aren't generally available just for money, which every team has plenty of.

Edited by Mike Sixel, 12 February 2019 - 09:38 AM.

• Twins33, LA VIkes Fan, Sconnie and 2 others like this
Have. Not of. Have a great day.

#27 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:34 AM

Plus most of those home runs were hit in April and May and he had to play Joe Mauer to get his average "up" to .249. If they paid Harper $35mil/yr for 2 years you might as well kiss the 2019/20 seasons goodbye. It won't happen anyway because Harper and his agent are still convinced that he is the second coming of the entire Hall of Fame.

What part of the 2018 Baltimore Orioles and LA Dodgers is so hard to figure out as far as Machado is concerned? Machado piles up stats but does not come through in the clutch and is disruptive on a roster. Twins need to play up to their potential and they should stay in the playoff hunt as is.

2/70? That wouldn't hamstring the team at all. If that's what it took, I'd take Harper all day long and so would the Twins most likely. 

• Mike Sixel, Twins33, rghrbek and 1 other like this

#28 rghrbek

rghrbek

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 593 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:52 AM

How exactly would having Harper on our roster for 2 years make us kiss the next two years goodbye? Anything factual to back that up?

#29 Supfin99

Supfin99

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:08 AM

Wow that seems a little shortsighted.  Berrios and Gibson were both in the top 15 in the AL in WAR for pitchers last year.  Odorizzi had his worst season on the majors and still was top 50.  Pineda has good stuff coming back from TJS.  Have 5 to 6 options with either Majors or AAA experience waiting in the wings.  Not sure how that equates to 70 wins.  Last year where a lot of things went wrong, including basically lost seasons from Sano and Buxton and we won 78.  We lost no one of importance, added a much better DH in Cruz, Sano and Buxton really can't be any worse, the still young guys like Kepler, Berrios, Hildenberger have another year of experience but somehow we are going to be 10 games worse than last year?

• Mike Sixel, Twins33, beckmt and 6 others like this

#30 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,513 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:41 AM

I am not really understanding on why people are so crazy about Harper. Yup he hit 34 home runs last year but he also batted .249 which is by no means lights out.

The league non-pitcher batting average was down to .252 last year. It hasn't been that low since 1968 -- the year Yastrzemski won the AL batting title at .301. In fact, 1968 (.245), 1908 (.246), and 1967 (.251) are the only 3 seasons in MLB history after 1900 with a lower non-pitcher batting average than 2018.

Killebrew had a below average AVG in 1962 too, his age 26 season. Would you have advised a team not to sign Killebrew after that season? Overall he still had a 138 OPS+ that year. Harper last year was 25 years old, and had a 133 OPS+ despite his slightly below average AVG.

• Mike Sixel, Twins33, snepp and 5 others like this

#31 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,513 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:58 AM

Plus most of those home runs were hit in April and May and he had to play Joe Mauer to get his average "up" to .249.

While Harper was raising his average late in the season, he still had a .235 isolated power in August and a .224 ISO in September. Mauer only once had a full season ISO close to that, and that was his incredible 2009 (which still fell short at .222).

Yes, Harper had 18 HR in April/May -- but he also had only 6 other extra base hits those months, for a total of 24 XBH. In August/September, Harper recorded 26 total XBH (17 2B, 9 HR).

There's not really a case that his overall offensive performance was notably weaker late in the 2018 season as opposed to early in the season.

• Mike Sixel, snepp and jkcarew like this

#32 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 28,072 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:11 PM

Over the last 4 years, Harper is the 7th best offensive player in the game. If he's not worth a monster deal when he's 26, who is?

• Twins33, nicksaviking, Sconnie and 4 others like this
Have. Not of. Have a great day.

#33 NapoleonComplex

NapoleonComplex

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:28 PM

Machado and Harper were looking for mega mega deals in 8-10 year range.That hasn't come to fruition for them.  

With both of them being 26 years old and the Twins having a 2 year window to not have to pay up for their young players they should go crazy for two years of Harper or Machado.  

Go and offer one of them 2 years/$70M (or more).They will be free agents again when they are 28 years old.And have a cool $70M sitting the bank.

So much this. I've been preaching this for a while. If Harper/Machado are hesitant to sign a long-term deal with the current CBA expiring, why not offer a short-term, ridiculously high AAV deal? It would be tough to pass up 3/$100M, then dip back into free agency at 29 years old after the new CBA is ratified. Heck, offer a third year player option.

My greatest disappointment with the Twins not spending this off-season is how all the stars seemed to align for them. The AL Central will be even weaker this year, we have a young nucleus with some make-or-break decisions looming, next to nothing on the books in 2020, and not even close to the commitment to 50% of revenue spent for the 2019 season. I can't for the life of me understand the short-term, let alone the long-term strategy for this ball club. It's incredibly frustrating as a die-hard fan. 

#34 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,195 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:36 PM

Over the last 4 years, Harper is the 7th best offensive player in the game. If he's not worth a monster deal when he's 26, who is?

Maybe the 1st and 2nd guy.

But I'd be more than happy to settle for Harper. 

#35 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:47 PM

So much this. I've been preaching this for a while. If Harper/Machado are hesitant to sign a long-term deal with the current CBA expiring, why not offer a short-term, ridiculously high AAV deal? It would be tough to pass up 3/$100M, then dip back into free agency at 29 years old after the new CBA is ratified. Heck, offer a third year player option.

My greatest disappointment with the Twins not spending this off-season is how all the stars seemed to align for them. The AL Central will be even weaker this year, we have a young nucleus with some make-or-break decisions looming, next to nothing on the books in 2020, and not even close to the commitment to 50% of revenue spent for the 2019 season. I can't for the life of me understand the short-term, let alone the long-term strategy for this ball club. It's incredibly frustrating as a die-hard fan. 

^This

#36 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:48 PM

Dang, and that's over the past 4 years...and he's 26. Meanwhile, Buxton is 25. Let that sink in.

As for signing one of these guys, I'm all for it. But I'm doubting they want short-term deals at this point in their career, especially since their agents have been whispering in their ears for the past 3 years about the huge contract they'll sign.

#37 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,513 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:08 PM

It would be tough to pass up 3/$100M

Would it? Harper reportedly already turned down 10/300. Machado is apparently sitting on a 8/250 offer from the White Sox.

And the moment Harper or Machado shows a willingness to sign for only 2-3 years, I bet they would get a ton of offers -- the Twins offer might be one of 20 from which they can choose. Heck, Philadelphia might sign both of them at those terms.

(Also, there's a huge difference between being on the market at 26 and healthy/effective, versus hitting the market at 29 under unknown future circumstances. I understand why the players would be hesitant to sign a short term deal right now.)

• Mike Sixel, beckmt, ToddlerHarmon and 2 others like this

#38 NapoleonComplex

NapoleonComplex

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:22 PM

You're absolutely right that they'd get a ton of offers if they showed willingness to take 2-3 years. I don't believe there is a huge difference being on the market at 26 and 29. I actually believe there to be more benefit for the player at age 29. It's the cusp of physical prime, more especially for a position player. If they were pitchers I'd definitely agree to the point. I believe most of the hesitance is because of the long-term commitments being offered ... 8-10 years with the same club (assuming no options) is tough for a player at age 26. More especially if they're confident in their future abilities. 

#39 NapoleonComplex

NapoleonComplex

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:23 PM

Hesitant to a long-term deal with a new CBA right around the corner.

#40 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• Members
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:46 PM

How about the last 2 years ... 26th best player

• howieramone2 likes this