Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins should be taking advantage of this market

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#1 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:06 PM

With teams "colluding" since they finally woke up to the fact nobody should be getting 10 years deals when they are 25+ anymore.

I don't expect the Twins to sign top notch players but they should be signing players to minor league deals with invites to Spring Training (what Martin Perez should have got instead of $4M guaranteed.)

They also should have signed players that could easily be flipped for prospects at the trade deadline. So much talent out there still that would be better than players projected to make the 25 man roster.

• nytwinsfan and killertwinfan like this

#2 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:45 PM

They “took advantage” last offseason and it totally backfired... but I would see if I could land Kimbrel for cheap or get Keuchel on an expensive one year deal. Outside of that, I wouldn’t chase the players who are asking for too much.
  • birdwatcher, Thrylos, Blake and 4 others like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#3 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:48 PM

That's not how price fixing works.
  • ToddlerHarmon likes this

#4 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:58 PM

Most of the available players at the moment are on the older side. The market of players young enough to be worth signing to long term deals and building around is pretty small.The Twins probably aren't in the running for anyone interesting as there just aren't enough interesting players.

Still, loading up the bullpen with one year contracts wouldn't be a terrible plan I should think. There is an utter deluge of free agents in their 30s and the Twins still seem thin in the pen.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#5 hugelycat

hugelycat

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:05 PM

They should have already taken advantage of this market. That's my biggest criticism of this offseason. They don't have to go wild, but they're not taking advantage of potential value, when they have the means and the opportunity to do so.

Lots of RPs with upside already came off the board for very reasonable deals that I would have loved to see go to the Twins. Guys like Cody Allen, Brad Brach, and Shawn Kelley all went for cheap one-year deals. Even Soria, Herrera, and Robertson went for less than I expected.

• Twins33, h2oface and sweetmusicviola16 like this

#6 Splash45

Splash45

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:05 PM

Lindor out 7-9 weeks. https://www.mlbtrade...nine-weeks.html There goes another 2 WAR for the Indians. Remind me again why we aren't going all in RIGHT NOW?

If he’s out 7 weeks he’ll be back right around opening day...not sure how that should have any effect on if the Twins should go all in or not.

#7 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:10 PM

They did sign Adam Rosales to an milb deal today. Surprise, surprise. He has ties to Lavine and Texas.

I'm all in favor of signing anyone they can to an milb deal. I have yet to see a bad one.

On another note, Marwin Gonzalez is still available. He of all the remaining FA's would help this team the most. Can basically play all of the positions except for C at MLB quality. A solid bat from both sides of the plate. And will cost a fraction of what Harper/Machado/Kimbrel will. He will not cost a draft pick either, only cash and he's a potential trade chip in the future.

• gil4, Lunger, Monkeypaws and 3 others like this

#8 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:14 PM

They “took advantage” last offseason and it totally backfired... but I would see if I could land Kimbrel for cheap or get Keuchel on an expensive one year deal. Outside of that, I wouldn’t chase the players who are asking for too much.

They signed players too late. They did not have Spring Training and were a mess. Morrison would be a great target for a team to sign to a minor league. If he is healthy and bounces back he will be a great signing and I would highly doubt he would get much money at all. Perfect for Seattle or Baltimore to get.

#9 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:25 PM

Martin Maldonado, Lucas Duda, Logan Forsythe, Alcides Escobar, Adeiny Hechavarria, Cameron Maybin, John Axford, Tyler Clippard, Jim Johnson, Ryan Madson, Bud Norris, Drew Storen, and Tony Sipp.

All they could possibly be signed to minor league deals with some upside. 

I know I slightly turned it into dumpster diving but nearly all would be better than some of our current options on the roster now.

• SF Twins Fan likes this

#10 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 10,094 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:35 PM

I am all for it if they can get Keuchel, Kimbrel, Harper, & Machado in one year deals.

That will cost them their first 3 picks, and about 4 players (who will have to be DFA'd or there is no space for them because they are out of options.)There were rivers virtual tears when De Jong was DFA'd, cannot wait to see what happens when they have to get rid of Austin, Granite, Mejia, and Hildenberger ;)

Edited by Thrylos, 08 February 2019 - 01:36 PM.

• Supfin99 likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#11 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:41 PM

I imagine the players and their agents are still asking for the moon, otherwise I think a lot of teams, if not most teams, would be all in on Keuchel/Kimbrall for 1 - 3 year deals

#12 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 14,193 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:46 PM

Not sure I'd call it totally backfiring. They got prospects for Lynn, Rodney, and Duke. Morrison was really the only true backfire. They got pretty good results out of the others.

To me, that's the type of thing they should be doing. It was one of my biggest complaints about Terry Ryan. 

• birdwatcher, beckmt, LA VIkes Fan and 6 others like this

#13 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:09 PM

I would sign Marwin Gonzalez in a heart beat. Can't believe he's still out there unsigned today.

Of course I also wanted high end pitching for both the bullpen and rotation. Alas, that ship has sailed.
  • Twins33, LA VIkes Fan, hugelycat and 2 others like this

#14 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:15 PM

Not sure I'd call it totally backfiring. They got prospects for Lynn, Rodney, and Duke. Morrison was really the only true backfire. They got pretty good results out of the others.

To me, that's the type of thing they should be doing. It was one of my biggest complaints about Terry Ryan. 

Many people use strong words to describe last year because some of us had very high expectations.90-100 wins was a common prediction.

The reality of course was they were still a .500 team if everything worked out right because 2017 was such a down year for the AL. As other teams got better for 2018, the Twins improved just enough to tread water.

"Disappointment" is probably a better word to use than "failure." It wasn't THAT hard to predict 2018 if one looked at the entire league and not just the Twins.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#15 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:21 PM

If he’s out 7 weeks he’ll be back right around opening day...not sure how that should have any effect on if the Twins should go all in or not.

You are right. I'm dumb.

• ashbury likes this

#16 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:26 PM

I would sign Marwin Gonzalez in a heart beat. Can't believe he's still out there unsigned today.

Of course I also wanted high end pitching for both the bullpen and rotation. Alas, that ship has sailed.

Gonzalez seemingly vanished upon entering FA, there’s been almost zero reported interest in him. So... how about a one year deal?!

There’s still high end bullpen arms left. Kimbrel is out there and I’d like a guy like Vincent too.

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#17 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:29 PM

He's a Boras Client, Boras still has a ton of unsigned clients.6 of what Fangraphs calls the best 10 remaining free agents are his.He loves waiting it out.

• dbminn likes this

#18 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:38 PM

Machado and Harper were looking for mega mega deals in 8-10 year range.That hasn't come to fruition for them.  

With both of them being 26 years old and the Twins having a 2 year window to not have to pay up for their young players they should go crazy for two years of Harper or Machado.  

Go and offer one of them 2 years/$70M (or more).They will be free agents again when they are 28 years old.And have a cool $70M sitting the bank.

Edited by Loosey, 08 February 2019 - 02:42 PM.

• PseudoSABR and NapoleonComplex like this

#19 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:39 PM

You are right. I'm dumb.

No, not dumb.Just awful at counting. . . .

• ashbury and nytwinsfan like this

#20 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:44 PM

You are right. I'm dumb.

you are not dumb. he still needs time to get ready. You would expect him to miss a couple of weeks of the regular season as well. Still needs to get into playing shape and no clue when he can start swinging a bat and running as well.

• nytwinsfan and howieramone2 like this