Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

April schedule

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,719 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:16 PM

How does being a .500 club for most of last year make this team a contender this year?

PS, I also don’t think it is a given that Perez is better than Mejia.

What it means is we need to get off to a fast start. It's more than given, it's practically a fact. When was the last time a starting pitcher threw 25 innings, was then shut down for the rest of the season with nerve damage to his elbow, then came back the next season and shined on day one. He might be ready sometime, but I bet he starts on the DL, for no other reason than he is out of options, and needs to be handled carefully.

#22 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,538 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 01:41 PM

I’m not sure what’s on the ground in the metro area. I’ve heard it’s considerably less than here in southeastern Minnesota.

However, we’ve had 3-4 feet of snow fall since the last werk of January with little to no melting. Another 3-4 inches is in the forecast for the coming week along with near record low temperatures in the teens below 0.

With all that in mind, just a little reminder that the home opener is in 28 days.

Edited by yarnivek1972, 28 February 2019 - 01:42 PM.

#23 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,312 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 02:38 PM

Their fans are saying the same thing about us.

Teams not trying don't spend $26M on Nelson Cruz and Marwin Gonzalez.I'm not saying Falvey is "going for it", but they clearly want to be at least competitive this year.Teams not trying can't say the same thing.

#24 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,312 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 02:43 PM

For the life of me, I'll never understand why 70-80% of April games aren't played in Tampa, Toronto, Anaheim, Oakland, Houston, Dallas, Miami, Atlanta, Milwaukee, Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Diego and San Francisco.That's 13 teams with either a controlled environment, or lower chances of inclement weather.

#25 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,538 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 03:41 PM

For the life of me, I'll never understand why 70-80% of April games aren't played in Tampa, Toronto, Anaheim, Oakland, Houston, Dallas, Miami, Atlanta, Milwaukee, Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Diego and San Francisco. That's 13 teams with either a controlled environment, or lower chances of inclement weather.

70-80% of games would be excessive and result in very unbalanced home/away schedules. But, playing more in “safer” locales would be a good idea and is something MLB has done to various degrees in the past. You could add Seattle too. They aren’t fully enclosed, but it is protected from rain. Average low in Seattle in April is 43, which is chilly but not frigid and 6 degrees warmer than Minneapolis.

#26 woolywoolhouse

woolywoolhouse

• 308 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 03:47 PM

For the life of me, I'll never understand why 70-80% of April games aren't played in Tampa, Toronto, Anaheim, Oakland, Houston, Dallas, Miami, Atlanta, Milwaukee, Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Diego and San Francisco.That's 13 teams with either a controlled environment, or lower chances of inclement weather.

I've been told that teams in the south don't want to host more home games than average in April and May (and March this season) because they don't sell as many tickets when school is still in session. So the schedule-makers are forced to schedule games in the north that have a very good chance of being snowed out so Miami doesn't have a host of low-attended games (at least, more than they normally do.)

SblamiVvl-SFSfi_8yN5GGvjJk0=.gif

#27 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,552 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:14 PM

Because it isn't fair to anyone to have the same 15 teams always open with 3 series at home and the same 15 teams always open with 3 series on the road. It just isn't.