Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Daily 2019 Top Prospects: #7 Jhoan Duran

jhoan duran gabriel maciel ernie de la trinidad eduardo escobar
  • Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,084 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:10 AM

Danchat, I went back to the 2018 write-up of Gonsalves (he was ranked #4 in the system by TD at the time) and I found an interesting comment in the comment section:

“I'm hoping to see Gonsalves by July in the majors. From what I've read, it seems he'll slot in as a #3-4 starting pitcher. Having the young core of Berrios (#2), Gonsalves (#3), and Mejia (#4) and seeing them perform up to their talent levels would be huge for this team. Now if they only had a true ace...

“I am concerned about the recent trend of rookie starters for the Twins. This includes Kyle Gibson (10 starts, 6.53 ERA), Trevor May (9 starts, 7.88 ERA), Jose Berrios (14 starts, 8.02 ERA). Mejia's first 10 starts were OK (4.93 ERA). The only good recent rookie starter I could find was Tyler Duffey (10 starts, 3.10 ERA) and it's been all downhill from here.

“The Twins will have to be patient with Gonsalves... sophomore years have been much better for our starters.”

That comment, of course, was by you. I agree with you. Patience!

Nice, digging up my old posts and using them against me! I probably should be more patient, though I will defend myself with these two points:

1: I didn’t know Gonsalves topped out at 91 and regularly threw pitches in the upper 80s
2: Gonsalves developed a command problem this season, not sure if that will continue

So yes, I do think he’ll pitch much better in year two, but he has several issues to address. Anyways, thanks for keeping me accountable.
  • ashbury, h2oface and gagu like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#42 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 679 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:39 PM

I think Duran has some really interesting potential. Hopefully he can carry over his success from Cedar Rapids to Ft Myers. It seems for Duran control/command will be his biggest issue, not the legitimacy of his “stuff”. I look forward to following him this year.

#43 joefish

joefish

• 106 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:07 PM

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
Got his car door flung open he's standin' out on Highway 31
Like if he stood there long enough that dog'd get up and run
Struck me kinda funny seem kinda funny sir to me
Still at the end of every hard day people find some reason to believe
  • h2oface likes this

#44 Ben Noble

Ben Noble

• 192 posts
  • LocationPowderhorn Park

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:18 PM

When I dug into Duran after we acquired him, this article is what really started to pique my interest in him as a prospect.

The gist of the article is that he started having success last season when he began fully buying into coaching and the process of transforming himself into a pitcher, rather than just a thrower. And that's a huge development for me when it comes to pitching prospects.

• Twins33 and DocBauer like this

#45 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,588 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 05:09 PM

Nice, digging up my old posts and using them against me! I probably should be more patient, though I will defend myself with these two points:

1: I didn’t know Gonsalves topped out at 91 and regularly threw pitches in the upper 80s
2: Gonsalves developed a command problem this season, not sure if that will continue

So yes, I do think he’ll pitch much better in year two, but he has several issues to address. Anyways, thanks for keeping me accountable.

It was a little heartless, I have to admit, but I couldn’t resist. I certainly don’t want to have to account for my past assertions! (I seem to recall a strong Tulowitzki post or five). Thanks for taking it in the right spirit.

Gonsalves might have a lower upside than people thought a year or two ago, but, I think people are reading too much into 24IP.
  • ashbury likes this

#46 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,249 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 08 February 2019 - 07:31 PM

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
Got his car door flung open he's standin' out on Highway 31
Like if he stood there long enough that dog'd get up and run
Struck me kinda funny seem kinda funny sir to me
Still at the end of every hard day people find some reason to believe

This seems indirect. Is it a comment you'd apply to every prospect, since there's no such thing as a sure thing and yet lots of us attach our hopes? Or, do you have specific concerns about Duran, going as far as likening him to a dead dog? If the latter, would you elaborate?

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. -- Arthur Conan Doyle

#47 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,084 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 07:37 PM

It was a little heartless, I have to admit, but I couldn’t resist. I certainly don’t want to have to account for my past assertions! (I seem to recall a strong Tulowitzki post or five). Thanks for taking it in the right spirit.

Gonsalves might have a lower upside than people thought a year or two ago, but, I think people are reading too much into 24IP.

I think one problem some of us (me) might have had is we see really good numbers in the minors, so we assume that'll transition in the majors. I remember being excited to see how AJ Achter would pitch with the Twins after a very good minor league career, but he simply didn't have MLB caliber stuff.

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#48 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Minnesota Twins

• 3,053 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:57 PM

I hope Duran goes full on beast mode this year!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jhoan duran, gabriel maciel, ernie de la trinidad, eduardo escobar