Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Possible MLB Rule Changes: Universal DH? Roster size? Anti-tanking?

rob manfred
  • Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#161 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 23,054 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:31 AM

I agree, it is a bit weird. And I did read your previous post too. As long as there are 15 teams (or any odd number) in each league though, it's going to stick around. I wouldn't mind if it went away either because I rather enjoyed the uniqueness of what that meant in the WS.

Right. It used to be 16 and 14 teams in each league, but they changed it when they broadened interleague play. So, if interleague play is here to stay, then either universal DH or no DH I’m both leagues.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#162 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:36 PM

This is interesting. With as frequently as the NFL tinkers with the rules, I wonder how much of an impact that has on these figures. The rules skew heavily to the advantage of the offense today. I'd also argue that a team rushing for 450+ more yards on average is a very different game than it is today. I'd think that would take more depth in the RB corp than what is required now.

It would be interesting to know how the top offenses of those eras compared.

The interesting part, though, is that feature backs were very rare, even in an era with a lot more rushing. As far as total offense, here are the total yards per team at each point:

2018:5,635 total offense; 3,804 passing; 1,831 rushing

1998: 5,082 total offense; 3,279 passing; 1,803 rushing

1978: 4,810 total offense; 2,541 passing; 2,269 rushing

Definitely an increase in offense, but I'd argue that could be as much to do with that added athleticism I mentioned before as the league rules.

• wsnydes likes this

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#163 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:41 PM

I do not like reducing rosters to 28 in September.Many times this is the only place rookies get a chance to prove themselves and at the same time give vets time to heal and rest before the playoffs.Keep it at least at 30.

The proposal, as I understood it, was not to reduce the overall roster, but to reduce the active roster per game. In other words, you could have all 40 players travel with the team, but you would need to declare 28 active players. Far too often in recent years, we've seen games that use over 25 players.

• mikelink45 likes this

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rob manfred