Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Mailbag: Catcher Innings, Bye-Bye Creams, Free Agent Watch

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:41 AM

3/45 for Kimbrell? That's not a deal, that's a steal. Do it. Give him an extra mil or two in 2019 and let him opt out after the season. We have the money for 2019, not to mention about 70mil coming off the books after this season.

If this team won't spend the money on a Kimbrell now then it never will.

#22 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• Twins Mods
  • 23,704 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:45 AM

...he says it no longer has a purpose other than being his thing.He says he was having success doing it so he didn't see the need to change even though the tendinitis is no longer an issue.

Yogi Berra said that all pitchers are liars or crybabies, so since Kimbrel's clearly not a crybaby I'm going to choose to disregard his assurances. :)

So, in conclusion, what was your question again?

#23 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:52 AM

1. I tend to agree with this. Even power relievers should be able to get to their mid 30's as effective 1 inning pitcher. I doubt I he will sign for anything close to that, however.

2. I tend to agree with this, tho I like the old style unis best.

3. I have never been that impressed with Castro in a Twins uniform. His defense seems somewhat overrated and offense has been mostly bad. I like Garver, but the Twins have always seemed underwhelmed by his pitcher handling and his overall defense. Astudillo is fun, I would love it if he was at least a half time catcher. I am not to sure the Twins want that tho.

I agree it will take more than 3/45 to sign Kimbrel. I’d be willing to go 3/60. Astudillo could take a starters # of at bats between catcher, 3b, and 2b, or should, IMO. This team is really lacking in contact.

#24 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,050 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 11:36 AM

1. I tend to agree with this. Even power relievers should be able to get to their mid 30's as effective 1 inning pitcher. I doubt I he will sign for anything close to that, however.

2. I tend to agree with this, tho I like the old style unis best.

3. I have never been that impressed with Castro in a Twins uniform. His defense seems somewhat overrated and offense has been mostly bad. I like Garver, but the Twins have always seemed underwhelmed by his pitcher handling and his overall defense. Astudillo is fun, I would love it if he was at least a half time catcher. I am not to sure the Twins want that tho.

He hit better than the average catcher two years ago. What do people want him to do?
  • Twins33, JLease and SF Twins Fan like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#25 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 14,193 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:24 PM

It's the Canadian Goose strategy of looking bigger and more intimidating.

It was originally to relieve stress caused by bicep tendinitis but he says it no longer has a purpose other than being his thing.He says he was having success doing it so he didn't see the need to change even though the tendinitis is no longer an issue.

He's only had one DL trip in his career and it was a knee issue in 2016.I don't think health is a serious concern for him.

Coincidentally, 2016 was his worst season, posting that 3.4 ERA. His walk rate was pretty bad that year (over 5), but he still got the Ks. The guys' WHIP though has been impressive. Even with high walk rates, he keeps that WHIP number under 1 more years than not. No one makes decent contact when they swing at his stuff. 

• Twins33 likes this

#26 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:26 PM

With Castro aging/on the comeback trail and Garver on the back end of a concussion scare, maybe it would be in the best interest of both to have Astudillo catch once a week and twice on weeks with no off days.Maybe at least try it early in the season and then see where the top two catchers are at after getting into the rigors of a baseball season.

Astudillo obviously brings some other flexibility, so his role could change over the course of the season.He also has options.

Of course, this would likely regrettably come at the expense of Tyler Austin, who I'd like to see given more of a chance.

I agree ,but I don't think this is at the expense of Austin. I don't think he makes the team regardless of Astudillo. They are most likely going to go with an 8 man bullpen, which means 13 pitchers, 8 starting position players, 1 full time DH in Cruz, and a 3 man bench. That bench every day will be the backup catcher, Adrianza as the backup IF who can play SS, and one of the 4 OFs that will make the team - Rosario, Buxton, Kepler and Cave in some order depending on who wins the RF job.  

Signing Cruz cost Austin his job. He or Astudillo only makes the team if the Twins decide to start with a 7 man BP. Seems very unlikely.  

• caninatl04 likes this

#27 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 01:49 PM

Astudillo is in Rochester. Unless one of Garver or Castro (or possibly Adrianza), is injured. Garver is a better hitter than Astudillo (despite those amazing 97 plate appearances last year)...and Adrianza is a better fielder at every position except one. I'd be great if we could go with 12 pitchers and a 4-man bench, because Astudillo would provide much better offensive flexibility late in games...but we won't...at least not once the schedule picks up.

• caninatl04 likes this

#28 cmoss84

cmoss84

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 414 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 05 February 2019 - 01:56 PM

I just can not imagine any scenario where Boston does not resign Kimbrel.  

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#29 Jim Hahn

Jim Hahn

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:41 PM

He hit better than the average catcher two years ago. What do people want him to do?

I suppose it depends on what stats you subscribe to. If you believe in single number stats like war or OPS he appears to be above average. Those stats are slanted to power. If you like ob% and batting average better, I don't think he looks so good. Just my opinion.

#30 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,630 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:57 PM

I'm guessing it's less of an indictment on Castro and more of a preference for Garver. 

While Castro hit better than average for a catcher two years ago, Garver hit better than average for any baseball player last year.

#31 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:03 PM

Coincidentally, 2016 was his worst season, posting that 3.4 ERA. His walk rate was pretty bad that year (over 5), but he still got the Ks. The guys' WHIP though has been impressive. Even with high walk rates, he keeps that WHIP number under 1 more years than not. No one makes decent contact when they swing at his stuff. 

I don't really see him fading out too quickly either.As long as he can pair an upper 90's fastball with a great curveball he should be fine.I expect him to still be a great pitcher 3 years from now.

3/45 probably won't be enough though.I think they will need to at least beat Wade Davis's 3/52M from last year.

• diehardtwinsfan and Twins33 like this

#32 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 14,193 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:35 PM

I don't really see him fading out too quickly either.As long as he can pair an upper 90's fastball with a great curveball he should be fine.I expect him to still be a great pitcher 3 years from now.

3/45 probably won't be enough though.I think they will need to at least beat Wade Davis's 3/52M from last year.

Obviously, he's unsigned... I have to think someone will swoop in, and I think at this point, calling his agent and seeing what would get him to sign right now might be prudent. If he's go no market, upping that 3/45 a bit to get him here on time makes a ton of sense. 

#33 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 04:46 PM

Obviously, he's unsigned... I have to think someone will swoop in, and I think at this point, calling his agent and seeing what would get him to sign right now might be prudent. If he's go no market, upping that 3/45 a bit to get him here on time makes a ton of sense. 

It helps that two of our currently known competitors are heavy favorites to land Machado or Harper. I doubt either the Padres or Phillies would turn around and sign Kimbrel as well.Teams probably don't want to officially bid on Kimbrel if they are serious about landing either of them two.

The big question for me is Boston, they probably wouldn't even need to match us to win his bidding.The Braves and Dodgers seem occupied with Realmuto negotiations.The Yankees already addressed their bullpen (and did an amazing job).Not many others have shown interest or been linked to him in anyway.

I doubt Kimbrel would sign anything right now.Doesn't seem like he is a priority to anyone else at the moment and waiting might be his best option.Either way it is encouraging that we currently lead the bidding, and I would think he would give us a chance to match or beat any other offer besides maybe Boston.

#34 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,106 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 05:07 PM

Didn't realize we were on in Kimrel. I tend to agree on aging relievers, but he's 31, not 35. That seems like a very reasonable contract for a guy whose worst season in his MLB career came with a 3.4 ERA an a 14+K/9 rate.

Obviously, he hasn't signed... but they really need to get him in here and not let it linger into ST.

Big difference between starters and relievers. Most relievers only need 10 innings to get ready, especially a vet like Kimbrel. He’ll be fine.

#35 Minny505

Minny505

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:44 AM

I find it ironic that Levine would make a comment about spending big on Machado or Harper as the kind of move they will make when they are projected to win the division.

Then a report comes out that the team is the front runner for the most expensive closer on the market. That is the ultimate front runner move by a team that is PROJECTING a strong playoff run, not a team that is aiming for 85 wins and POSSIBLY contending for a wild card spot.

That makes me very suspect of the report about our favorite squad and Kimbrel. It's completely contradictory to the front runner statement. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

#36 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,106 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 12:19 PM

I find it ironic that Levine would make a comment about spending big on Machado or Harper as the kind of move they will make when they are projected to win the division.

Then a report comes out that the team is the front runner for the most expensive closer on the market. That is the ultimate front runner move by a team that is PROJECTING a strong playoff run, not a team that is aiming for 85 wins and POSSIBLY contending for a wild card spot.

That makes me very suspect of the report about our favorite squad and Kimbrel. It's completely contradictory to the front runner statement.

If it is true, it’s further evidence that this FO doesn’t have an actual plan that they are willing to stick to. This week they are going for it. Next week they are rebuilding. Next week they are biding their time. After that, who knows. It certainly doesn’t seem Falvine knows.
  • Mike Sixel and Carlos Figueroa like this

#37 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 02:11 PM

I just can not imagine any scenario where Boston does not resign Kimbrel.  

It sounds as if they are so far over the luxury tax line, they don't want to push it much farther. I also think that playoff performance soured them some as well as others or he would have been signed already. 

#38 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 02:14 PM

3/45 for Kimbrell? That's not a deal, that's a steal. Do it. Give him an extra mil or two in 2019 and let him opt out after the season. We have the money for 2019, not to mention about 70mil coming off the books after this season.

If this team won't spend the money on a Kimbrell now then it never will.

And if that were enough to get him and that offer truly is out there, then he would have signed already. Don't let the reports about Twins offering money get to you. What they are offering is below market value, you can bet on that. They know there is a very slim chance he signs that type of contract, but by leaking that info -The "Hey! We tried!!" is still alive and well as per usual. 

• Carlos Figueroa likes this

#39 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:51 PM

If we’re willing to pay 3/45 for Kimbrel, I wonder how high we’d be willing go for Keuchel, maybe 5/75??
  • Carlos Figueroa likes this

#40 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:13 AM

If we’re willing to pay 3/45 for Kimbrel, I wonder how high we’d be willing go for Keuchel, maybe 5/75??

The whole idea is to go higher AAV so you don’t have to pay/roster these guys when they’re 35+.