Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Daily 2019 Top Prospects: #10 Akil Baddoo

akil baddoo
  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#41 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:45 AM

That’s true of every single highly-regarded prospect that has ever made that jump or ever will make that jump. I’m confuses as to why Baddoo’s situation is uniquely “make-or-break”. At this point you’re kind of obliged to feel that this year will also be a make-or-break for Miranda and will REALLY be make-or-break for Jeffers...two other highly-ranked position players headed for Ft Myers...both older than Baddoo.

Agreed, I never said it was unique to Baddoo.

#42 jkcarew

jkcarew

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:28 PM

Agreed, I never said it was unique to Baddoo.

Fair enough. Still, age and pedigree has to matter some, right? When Torii Hunter OPS'd 678 in Ft Myers after having gone around 800 in low A...it would have been silly for his prospect status to take much of a hit at all. He was a no. 20 overall pick, offered value beyond the hit tool, and was only 19 years old. Baddoo is not analogous to Hunter, but still...pretty glossy tools and will only be 20.

Admitted, (and ironically) his youth kinda works against him in a way, as well...at least in terms of a future with our favorite club. His rule-5 clock started ticking when he was barely 17. He's going to be rule-5 eligible at a relatively early stage of his overall development (almost Dominican-like), which could be problematic for the Twins if he stalls at all in the lower levels.

• ashbury likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: akil baddoo