Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Daily 2019 Top Prospects: #10 Akil Baddoo

akil baddoo
  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,449 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:55 AM

One thing you cannot teach is OBP, and the walk rate.I am very excited about this.Twins have far too many swing and miss guys up higher that chase.

• birdwatcher, gunnarthor, Twins33 and 1 other like this

#22 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 12:53 PM

http://www.statcorne...t.php?id=668731

Yes, he was K'd looking more often than league average but actually K'd swinging slightly less than league average.

Also worth noting that his K rate in April and May was 32%, but he seems to have made some pretty big adjustments and his K rate was at 20% for the rest of the season.Not sure how his looking/swinging splits might have changed between those periods.

All I have to offer is from observation, but I did see a lot of his PAs last season.

I'm obviously biased because I really like this guy, but I felt like he did get rung up a lot and in many cases, it looked like those called third strikes were not in the zone. It's quite possible that his strike zone awareness was better than the plate umpire's.

If you think Class A hitters have a lot of work to do to learn the strike zone, it's just as clear that many of those Midwest League umpires need just as much work, if not more, in that area.

Akil also obviously earned a reputation as a patient hitter across the league, including with the umpires. I felt there were times when the guy behind the plate was almost looking to ring him up on anything close because he was so patient as a hitter.

To his credit, I felt that Akil made adjustments later in the season and didn't always let that borderline pitch go by with 2 strikes on him like he did much of the year. Of course, you can make an argument either way as to whether that's a good thing or not. Your success rate swinging at pitches not in the zone with 2 strikes on you isn't going to be real high.

There's a lot of potential in that package and I'm anxious to see how he does in the FSL this season.

• SQUIRREL, birdwatcher, Mike Sixel and 12 others like this
Writing about the Minnesota Twins and their minor league organization, with an emphasis on the Cedar Rapids Kernels, at Knuckleballsblog.com since 2010.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#23 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,123 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 01:15 PM

Like all the great, he goes by just one name

If I'm his agent, he changes it from Uh Kill to Killa. And networks with G Cinco pronto.

• Twins33 and KGB like this

#24 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,646 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:17 PM

Huh. His last name is silent?

Bah-Doo

#25 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,646 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:19 PM

I know he projects well as an outfielder, but Baddoo has yet to play high A ball. I would have Miranda higher than Baddoo (I am surprised that Wade, Littell, and Rortvedt are also ahead of Miranda).

Miranda got about 2-3 weeks of High-A ball, so the distinction between the two is negligible. They were even drafted one pick apart. I really like Miranda as well. Huge power potential. Baddoo is probably a big more well-rounded, in terms of potential. 

• SD Buhr, DocBauer, gagu and 1 other like this

#26 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:28 PM

If I'm his agent, he changes it from Uh Kill to Killa. And networks with G Cinco pronto.

My wife believes he should change his first name to "Skoob" 

Think about it.

• birdwatcher, Twins33, Danchat and 3 others like this
Writing about the Minnesota Twins and their minor league organization, with an emphasis on the Cedar Rapids Kernels, at Knuckleballsblog.com since 2010.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#27 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• 10,111 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 04 February 2019 - 03:28 PM

Huh. His last name is silent?

Rhymes with voodoo

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#28 markos

markos

• 1,401 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:05 PM

One thing you cannot teach is OBP, and the walk rate.I am very excited about this.Twins have far too many swing and miss guys up higher that chase.

Unfortunately, walk rate in the low minors has extremely low predictive value for future performance. Chris Mitchell (who had a stat-based prospect ranking system at Fangraphs and was eventually hired by a front office) ignored walk rate almost completely until AA. And for reference, Buxton and Sano both had BB% and K% rates in Cedar Rapids very similar Baddoo last year.

• birdwatcher and Mike Sixel like this

#29 Twinsoholic

Twinsoholic

• 218 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:52 PM

Seth, Miranda played 27 games at High A and 104 at Low A. Baddoo played 113 at Low A. I know we all hope they are both successful. I just think Miranda has out performed Baddoo to this point. Obviously, Baddoo could end up as the better player, but to see him now as #10 and Miranda as #20 is arguably surprising. 

• DocBauer likes this

#30 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,402 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 05:19 PM

In terms of prospect status. Take a look at some of the guys who were going from Cedar Rapids to Fort Myers last year and what happened to them, guys like Lewin Diaz and Travis Blankenhorn. I think a lot of things can get exposed in this jump that Baddoo's about to make, pitchers in the FSL are a lot more advanced than in the MWL.

Ugh. A Diaz analogy for Baddoo.

The reason Diaz has 'disappeared' from the top prospect conversation, is that he shouldn't have been in that conversation in the first place (heading into 2018).

If Baddoo OPS's 598 at Fort Myers this season (as Diaz did last year), he will have done it as a player with significant defensive value and flexibility, value on the bases, and at the age of 20...as apposed to Diaz who did so as a player with zero defensive flexibility and next-to-zero defensive value, zero value on the bases...and at the age of 21. (Also, Blankenhorn never saw Fort Myers until his age 21 season...spending his age 20 season in Cedar Rapids being about as good offensively as Baddoo was last year at 19)

I won't try to predict the future for any of these guys, but I'm guessing most prospect rankers are going to give Baddoo more rope than Blankenhorn and a lot more rope than Diaz.

• birdwatcher and Mike Sixel like this

#31 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,449 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 07:11 PM

Unfortunately, walk rate in the low minors has extremely low predictive value for future performance. Chris Mitchell (who had a stat-based prospect ranking system at Fangraphs and was eventually hired by a front office) ignored walk rate almost completely until AA. And for reference, Buxton and Sano both had BB% and K% rates in Cedar Rapids very similar Baddoo last year.

You are correct about part of this.Earlier in this thread, it was stated that Baadoo was in the low 30% range the first two months, then dropped to the low 20's the last 4. (strikeout rate).Also a lot of the called looking K's were very marginal.It is hard to tell, but a walk rate is hard to teach, especially if their is not a big chase rate.  

#32 etwinsfan

etwinsfan

Elizabethton Twins

• 26 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 07:47 PM

How does he pronounce his name?

I know it is "Ah-kill bah-do"

Edited by ashburyjohn, 04 February 2019 - 08:01 PM.

#33 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 07:51 PM

Ugh. A Diaz analogy for Baddoo.

The reason Diaz has 'disappeared' from the top prospect conversation, is that he shouldn't have been in that conversation in the first place (heading into 2018).

If Baddoo OPS's 598 at Fort Myers this season (as Diaz did last year), he will have done it as a player with significant defensive value and flexibility, value on the bases, and at the age of 20...as apposed to Diaz who did so as a player with zero defensive flexibility and next-to-zero defensive value, zero value on the bases...and at the age of 21. (Also, Blankenhorn never saw Fort Myers until his age 21 season...spending his age 20 season in Cedar Rapids being about as good offensively as Baddoo was last year at 19)

I won't try to predict the future for any of these guys, but I'm guessing most prospect rankers are going to give Baddoo more rope than Blankenhorn and a lot more rope than Diaz.

Are you trying to suggest that if Baddoo posts a sub-.600 OPS he's not going to slip in these prospect rankings? All I'm trying say is if he struggles, like a lot of guys do making this jump, he's going to get passed by in these rankings.

There will be guys who breakout, additions via the draft and, let's face it, a good chance of some talent being added at the deadline again. At the same time, I'm not sure I'd project a single guy ranked ahead of Baddoo right now to graduate from prospect status in 2019, so it's not like room is opening up at the top. Competition for a spot this high is going to be thick.

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#34 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,588 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 08:07 PM

SD, how about he go with the nickname “Yabba Dah”?
  • Twins33, SD Buhr and gagu like this

#35 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,123 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 09:56 PM

Bah-Doo

FIFY

#36 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,584 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:05 PM

Not going back to the Twins arriving in Minnesota, and skipping the 70's, some of may remember those days, but since the 80's there has been a magnificent group of CF and CF prospects. Really, Puckett really set the stage. And then came Hunter, but not without some struggles initially. Then came Mack, (sorta), and Span, and Revere, (sorta again), and then Gomez. But it was, for years, a nice progression of talent. But Gomez was rushed and found success elsewhere. And then Hicks...not going there, and now Buxton. What else needs to be said we don't already know and haven't spouted out at length in internet ink?

He is a tremendous athletic talent that compares to the affor mentioned players that I don't need to go on. Who knows how good he could be? Hopefully his arm will be good enough to stay in CF, along with instinct. But despite his reported "raw" nature, you can't just teach a patient approach at the plate. If his natural instinct is to work the count to his advantage, aggression can be taught and learned.

Discipline, athleticism, power and speed are all there. Just give him a little to put it all together.
  • rdehring likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#37 BenB

BenB

• 25 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:51 PM

Looks like he is pretty hard to double up.

• gagu and caninatl04 like this

#38 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 569 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 11:04 AM

How does he pronounce his name?

Correctly every time

• birdwatcher, Mike Sixel, caninatl04 and 1 other like this

#39 dmhdale57

dmhdale57

Elizabethton Twins

• 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:03 PM

I hope he continues along the top 10 (or better) prospect list.With the depth ahead of him in the outfield, he could be a nice asset to move at the trade deadline.

#40 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,402 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 10:30 PM

All I'm trying say is if he struggles, like a lot of guys do making this jump, he's going to get passed by in these rankings.

That’s true of every single highly-regarded prospect that has ever made that jump or ever will make that jump. I’m confuses as to why Baddoo’s situation is uniquely “make-or-break”. At this point you’re kind of obliged to feel that this year will also be a make-or-break for Miranda and will REALLY be make-or-break for Jeffers...two other highly-ranked position players headed for Ft Myers...both older than Baddoo.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: akil baddoo