Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Way too Early: Predict Opening Day Roster

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:11 PM

You're going to hand Mejia a spot in the rotation after 25 innings last season? I say it's 50/50 he starts on the DL. The time to win is now. If Mejia becomes a world beater, we can DFA Perez or move him to the pen.

We were a .500 team after May 1st last season. This is not the time to worry about the future, player development etc. This is the time to win and it's a no-brainer that Perez is in a better position to help us win than Mejia out of the gate.

Mejia only got 25 innings because the Twins signed Lance Lynn, thus removing him from the rotation. He did suffer through some injuries, like missing a month at Rochester and most of September, but if it wasn't for Lynn he would have had another 10-15 starts. My problem with Perez isn't depth, but the total lack of upside for a guy who is going to be locked into a roster spot until he pitches his way out of it.

• Sconnie likes this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Mock Draft 2019

Running Back Rankings - 2019 Draft Class

#42 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:37 PM

Mejia only got 25 innings because the Twins signed Lance Lynn, thus removing him from the rotation. He did suffer through some injuries, like missing a month at Rochester and most of September, but if it wasn't for Lynn he would have had another 10-15 starts. My problem with Perez isn't depth, but the total lack of upside for a guy who is going to be locked into a roster spot until he pitches his way out of it.

Does it even matter at this point in time, why he only got 25 innings? Lynn is far better than Mejia will ever be. I've posted this before, let me post it again. Perez and Mejia have virtually the same ceiling. They are 4 or 5's. Perez has a higher floor, because it's unlikely Mejia gets 7 or 8 seasons in The Show.

Edited by howieramone2, 06 February 2019 - 07:40 PM.

#43 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:26 PM

Does it even matter at this point in time, why he only got 25 innings? Lynn is far better than Mejia will ever be. I've posted this before, let me post it again. Perez and Mejia have virtually the same ceiling. They are 4 or 5's. Perez has a higher floor, because it's unlikely Mejia gets 7 or 8 seasons in The Show.

Lynn was far better despite his 2018 coming in at around 0.3 WAR in 20 starts despte Mejia netting 0.8 WAR in 21 starts? I don't care about the track record, I want to have the better player pitching out there, and comparing the two, I'd rather have Mejia - plus it seems we forget 2017 was his rookie season! Lynn and Perez have durability over Mejia, but IMO our depth is fine, and I'd rather play the better pitchers with more upside. I think Mejia, if given the chance, would improve from his 2017 numbers, just as we were seeing in his 2018 sample size.

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Mock Draft 2019

Running Back Rankings - 2019 Draft Class

#44 mlhouse

mlhouse

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 10:44 PM

I think it is entirely fair if a team doesn't want Gonsalves, Thorpe, and Stewart as starters 6-8 on their depth chart right now, especially with how Mejia's 2018 season ended early due to elbow concerns. Doesn't mean they don't care about those guys -- it is just an honest assessment of their readiness to contribute at the moment.

Romero could do it, but the team seems to want to see him in the pen, which doesn't seem unreasonable either.

"Contribute" to what, a 75-80 win team? WHen will the FO "care"?When these guys are about to turn 30? 

#45 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,563 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:51 AM

"Contribute" to what, a 75-80 win team? WHen will the FO "care"? When these guys are about to turn 30?

Gonsalves, Stewart, and Romero are only 24 years old, and Thorpe 23.

I hope the 2019 Twins win more than 75-80 games. If it's looking like that is all they will win, though, I hope we will see the aforementioned pitchers after a few months.