Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Way too Early: Predict Opening Day Roster

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 AZTwin

AZTwin

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 11:29 AM

C: Castro
1B: Cron
2B: Schoop
SS: Polanco
3B: Sano
RF: Kepler
CF: Buxton
LF: Rosario
DH: Cruz

Bench: Garver, Cave, Adrianza, Austin

SP: Berrios
SP: Gibson
SP: Odorozzi
SP: Perez
SP: Gonsalves

RP: May
RP: Reed
RP: Romero
RP: Parker
RP: Rogers
RP: hildenberger
RP: Vazquez

DL: Pineda

I really struggled for the last 2 spots on the roster. Ultimately went with Vazquez and Austin.

It’s going to be hard not to carry 13 pitchers. Mejia should have a spot on the team but Vazquez may be too hard to pass up. I went with Austin because he can provide some pop off the bench and a little more flexibility resting our core power hitters. I initially penciled in Austidillo and scratched him for Mejia before deciding on Austin.

Moya and Torreyes also received consideration but moya has options and Torreyes is to redundant of adrianza
  • dbminn likes this

#2 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,695 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 11:36 AM

C: Castro
1B: Cron
2B: Schoop
SS: Polanco
3B: Sano
RF: Kepler
CF: Buxton
LF: Rosario
DH: Cruz

Bench: Garver, Cave, Adrianza, Austin

SP: Berrios
SP: Gibson
SP: Odorozzi
SP: Perez
SP: Gonsalves

RP: May
RP: Reed
RP: Romero
RP: Parker
RP: Rogers
RP: hildenberger
RP: Vazquez

DL: Pineda

I really struggled for the last 2 spots on the roster. Ultimately went with Vazquez and Austin.

It’s going to be hard not to carry 13 pitchers. Mejia should have a spot on the team but Vazquez may be too hard to pass up. I went with Austin because he can provide some pop off the bench and a little more flexibility resting our core power hitters. I initially penciled in Austidillo and scratched him for Mejia before deciding on Austin.

Moya and Torreyes also received consideration but moya has options and Torreyes is to redundant of adrianza

I have no idea at this point how things will shake out, but kudos to you for trying. Do you really think Pineda will start on the DL? Maybe that's what the Perez signing was about ... Pineda not quite being ready? Or someone else not sure? But if Pineda is ready, look for Gonsalves to start in AAA. I think we'll lose Mejia if he's not on the roster. He's out of options and he will get claimed. I think it's a matter of who don't you want to lose more ... Mejia or Austin.

• SF Twins Fan likes this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#3 AZTwin

AZTwin

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 11:38 AM

I have no idea at this point how things will shake out, but kudos to you for trying. Do you really think Pineda will start on the DL? Maybe that's what the Perez signing was about ... Pineda not quite being ready? Or someone else not sure? But if Pineda is ready, look for Gonsalves to start in AAA. I think we'll lose Mejia if he's not on the roster. He's out of options and he will get claimed. I think it's a matter of who don't you want to lose more ... Mejia or Austin.

Thought Mejia had an option yet. Then I might be inclined to keep Mejia over Vazquez. Keep Austin. If Pineda is healthy, Gonsalves goes to AAA.
  • Carole Keller and rdehring like this

#4 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,695 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 11:43 AM

Thought Mejia had an option yet. Then I might be inclined to keep Mejia over Vazquez. Keep Austin. If Pineda is healthy, Gonsalves goes to AAA.

Eh ... now I'm doubting myself ... but I'm pretty sure he's out of options. I just don't know what they are going to do with that last spot ... 4th bench person, 13th pitcher ... I have no clue. Personally I'd rather have the bench spot, but early in the season, it seems that more and more, teams want the pitchers available due to still stretching out in the early season and the cooler weather. Just don't know.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#5 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 02:46 PM

It wouldn't be a bad idea to predict a pitcher ending up on the DL, that's just how things go. I believe Pineda is healthy at the moment, but I understand if you're predicting he gets hurt again. 

Mejia is indeed out of options and as was mentioned he'd get a spot over Vasquez. Also, Ithink Moya will make the bullpen as the second lefty.

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Mock Draft 2019

Running Back Rankings - 2019 Draft Class

#6 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 03:34 PM

I saw a recent interview with Pineda. He says hes fully healthy. To me he looks out of shape, very heavy. tbh I doubt he holds up. When he goes down is what remains to be seen.

But as far as the OD squad looks, I'd switch out Mejia for either Vazquez or Gonsalves. The lineup looks right on. 

#7 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 03:57 PM

While I prefer that Mejia stays a Twin, if he doesn’t make our roster, I really hope we don’t just let him go for nothing, at least flip him along with a couple of other expendable prospects (like Blankenhorn, Bechtold, Littell, etc) for an established reliver like Mychal Givens.

#8 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,239 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 03 February 2019 - 04:44 PM

While I prefer that Mejia stays a Twin, if he doesn’t make our roster, I really hope we don’t just let him go for nothing, at least flip him along with a couple of other expendable prospects (like Blankenhorn, Bechtold, Littell, etc) for an established reliver like Mychal Givens.

Which teams are looking to rid themselves of established players in exchange for expendable prospects? Asking for a friend who said he's asking for a friend. :)

• Danchat, ChrisKnutson, dbminn and 1 other like this

I don't have to tell you it goes without saying there are some things better left unsaid. I think that speaks for itself. The less said about it, the better. -- George Carlin

#9 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 06:52 PM

With five days off in the first 15 days, I don't think Gonsalves makes the opening day roster unless at least two starters are on the DL. If all are healthy, it will be Berrios, Gibson, Odo, Pineda, Perez. If one is hurt, they should just go with four for the first two weeks. Frankly, even if all are healthy, I wouldn't mind finding a way to hold off Pineda's return a couple weeks. I think it will difficult for him to last the whole year, so a later start could be helpful.

And if two are hurt, I actually think Mejia gets a shot as a starter before Gonsalves.

• Sconnie and ChrisKnutson like this

#10 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• Members
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:09 PM

I think anyone who strikes out only 3% of the time should be in the mix there somewhere.

https://www.baseball...id=astudi001wil

Edited by VATwinsFan, 03 February 2019 - 07:10 PM.

• beckmt, Sconnie, SF Twins Fan and 1 other like this

#11 Jack

Jack

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:20 PM

Watched part of Pineda's pitching workout on Friday in Fort Myers. They had people recording his workout to record his spin rate etc. At the end of the workout they told him that they would be recording every pitching session. They showed him the data from that session. They were explaining to him how he would be able to use the data and watch his videos to see how different factors would lead to his good or poor spin rates , why his ball might be flattening out, or why it might have better bite some days etc. I'm not a big data man but it was pretty interesting.

• Carole Keller, nicksaviking, Riverbrian and 6 others like this

#12 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:40 PM

You left out Harper,Machado, & Kimbrell.

• PseudoSABR, ChrisKnutson and SF Twins Fan like this

#13 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 05:29 PM

Not giving Mejia his due chance would be a mistake.

• dbminn and SF Twins Fan like this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#14 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,717 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 04 February 2019 - 05:42 PM

have to think Mejia is on the team... the Perez signing tells me he's going to the pen unless there's a pitcher injury... we won't need 5 starters rigth away anyways.

#15 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,601 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:53 AM

Gonsalves is back in minors.Adrianza and Torreyes worked out together yesterday taking infield.

he gone!

#16 youngpadawan

youngpadawan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:41 PM

Still holding out hope that the Perez major league deal was a joke. That 5th spot should be Mejia's. If anything Perez should go to long relief in blowouts. I think Torreyes makes the roster. Vasquez will be in AAA. I also hate the Romero to the BP thing but it will probably happen.
  • Doomtints, SF Twins Fan and jud6312 like this

#17 mlhouse

mlhouse

• Members
  • 690 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 04:18 PM

Not giving Mejia his due chance would be a mistake.

\

AS I point out over and over again, they would rather pay a MLB journeyman like Perez $3.5 million than give Meija a real opportunity to pitch. Meija is probably a better pitcher and Meija has upside and Meija will only be paid $575,000. 

I get the injury issues with Meija, but eventually you have to put the guy out there and let him develop, or not develop.It isn't as if Meija is 22, he will be 26 years old in June.The time to let him sink or swim is now.  But, instead of just wrting his name in, they decide to sign a guy like Perez.

• Danchat, Doomtints, jud6312 and 2 others like this

#18 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 04:44 PM

Assuming all goes well the in ST, the plan should be to start with a rotation of Berrios, Gibson, Odorizzi, Romero, and Mejia, then add Pineda and Perez later if need be; start Pineda on the DL and Perez as a multi-inning relief option in the bullpen.

Edited by ChrisKnutson, 05 February 2019 - 04:46 PM.

#19 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 04:52 PM

\

AS I point out over and over again, they would rather pay a MLB journeyman like Perez $3.5 million than give Meija a real opportunity to pitch. Meija is probably a better pitcher and Meija has upside and Meija will only be paid $575,000. 

I get the injury issues with Meija, but eventually you have to put the guy out there and let him develop, or not develop.It isn't as if Meija is 22, he will be 26 years old in June.The time to let him sink or swim is now.  But, instead of just wrting his name in, they decide to sign a guy like Perez.

If Mejia goes down we still have Littell, Gonsalves, Romero, Stewart, and Thorpe to fall back on and evaluate. As a last resort we also have Duffey. That's 7 options. Total them all up and you barely have Perez's salary. Another year could easily go by and they may still not really know if these guys can or can't handle the ML. And if they do know w/o putting them in ML games that these guys aren't up to the task then that is another black eye on our org's developmental ability again.

• Doomtints likes this

#20 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 05:46 PM

All interesting, but I think we already know the starting pitchers absent injury - Berrios, Gibson, Pineda, Odorizzi, Perez. The wouldn't pay Perez $3.5m to be a bullpen long man, nor would he come to Minnesota without a promise to start. He had other options where he could be a starter. Romero goes to the Bullpen as a late inning reliever in the hope he can be the closer in waiting and Mejia stays as an opener/long reliever so we don't lose him. Adrianza stays as the utility IF and Torreyes goes to AAA as insurance. 

That leaves the choice as Vasquez or another reliever (Kimbrell? Duffy? Moya?) for 8 in the BP vs. Astudillo as a 3rd C/UT or Austin as a backup 1B/DH. I strongly suspect that the long term play will be an 8th RP, but they may take advantage of the early season off days to keep Austin or Astudillo around to start the season. They will try to sneak Austin through on waivers at the end of ST or early on where other teams have their own roster issues. He isn't so good that he'll be claimed for sure and there's a good chance he won't be claimed at all. Astudillo goes to Rochester as insurance for Castro and Garver, assuming both are ready to go at the start of the season or Astudillo stays if one is on the DL.

My only other tweak of the lineup is Cave vs. Kepler. I think both will get a chance to be every day players along side Rosario and Buxton with Kepler as an occasional LH 1B in place of Cron and Cave the fallback if Buxton gets hurt (again) or can't hit (again). Both will get ABs until one wins out.Cave beat Kepler last year and my guess is that he will do it again or both will be mediocre. I'm less sanguine on Kepler. I hope I'm wrong but 1500 ABs of .233/.313/.417 (.730) with a 97 OPS+ just ain't very good for a CF, much less a RF.He's reputedly a very good OF but with that bat he's a 4th OF as a RF.Cave went .269/.316/.481 (.797), 113 OPS+. If Kepler stays where he's been and Cave repeats or improves on the SO side, admittedly a big IF on Cave (less so on Kepler, he's had his chance and actually hit worse over time, not better), Cave plays RF and Kepler's the 4th OF/LH1B/LH DH. I predict that will happen and probably by June. Good teams have players compete for a spot and those who perform play more than those who don't. That's why they're good teams. I want us to be a good team.