Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Mauer Article

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 nfisch22

nfisch22

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:32 PM

http://espn.go.com/m...r-espn-magazine

Great article about Mauer on ESPN

#2 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:08 PM

Nice article.

When it's all said and done, I'm going to be very glad Mauer was a Twin his (hopefully) entire career. I'll be very happy when he goes in the HOF and fondly remember his MVP season, his tag on Gardner (and hopefully his world series game winning hit).

#3 nokomismod

nokomismod

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:18 PM

Nice article.

When it's all said and done, I'm going to be very glad Mauer was a Twin his (hopefully) entire career. I'll be very happy when he goes in the HOF and fondly remember his MVP season, his tag on Gardner (and hopefully his world series game winning hit).

Right on. Great article. It sounds like he's still just a regular guy who tries really hard. Why so angry (all the Mauer bashers)?

#4 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,879 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:54 PM

For me, this is the quintessential Mauer play:

http://minnesota.twi...t=.jsp&c_id=mlb

So awesome. I just don't understand the negativity that surrounds the guy.

#5 one_eyed_jack

one_eyed_jack

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:12 PM

Great article. It does a good job illustrating the pure silliness of the venom directed at Mauer.

This is an odd one. Normally the national sports media is clueless about the Twins, but here the 4-letter mag offers a better take on Mauer than anything I've read from the local scribes (outside of this site of course!) in a while.

#6 Obie

Obie

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:45 PM

Great article. It does a good job illustrating the pure silliness of the venom directed at Mauer.

This is an odd one. Normally the national sports media is clueless about the Twins, but here the 4-letter mag offers a better take on Mauer than anything I've read from the local scribes (outside of this site of course!) in a while.

Anti-Mauer venom is visceral, not logical. And, one can't use logic to rebut a position not arrived at by logic.

#7 mnfireman

mnfireman

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:09 PM

Gee, it took a national scribe to capture the real Joe Mauer, even if only during the course of one day. How about a round of applause for LEN III, Joe C., Reusse, Souhan et al for dropping the ball, rolling it in the gutter, clanking the rim, throwing it in the dirt, etc... on doing this beforehand. Apparently Mauer has a sense of humor, is respected in the clubhouse, and, surprisingly, has a baseball mean streak.

#8 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:27 PM

Nice article.

<cap off> Well said, sir. </cap off>

#9 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:28 PM

Also, he drives a 1969 Chevelle. How can you not like that?

(I mean, if it were a 1970 Charger, it would be better, but I'm not complaining...)

#10 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Whatchamacallit is the Best Candy Bar

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:07 PM

Best article ever on Mauer. Not every athlete needs to be a primadona. We St. Paulites stick together and produce better MLB ballplayers than Minneapolis. Snap! What do you have to say about that? I need to run and get back to my dorm... don't want to break curfew.

#11 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:36 PM

Best article ever on Mauer. Not every athlete needs to be a primadona. We St. Paulites stick together and produce better MLB ballplayers than Minneapolis. Snap! What do you have to say about that? I need to run and get back to my dorm... don't want to break curfew.

I can't say as though I'm that familiar with St. Paul. I hardly ever get out to the Eastern suburbs.

#12 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:43 PM

I can't say as though I'm that familiar with St. Paul. I hardly ever get out to the Eastern suburbs.

HA! That's a good one. I'll have to tell my friends from the west side of the river so they can use it when I'm sarcastically pointing out that St. Paul is the capital.

#13 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:54 PM

[quote name='CDog'][quote name='70charger'][QUOTE=Bark's Lounge;55120]Best article ever on Mauer. Not every athlete needs to be a primadona. We St. Paulites stick together and produce better MLB ballplayers than Minneapolis. Snap! What do you have to say about that? I need to run and get back to my dorm... don't want to break curfew.[/QUOTE]

I can't say as though I'm that familiar with St. Paul. I hardly ever get out to the Eastern suburbs.[/QUOTE]

HA! That's a good one. I'll have to tell my friends from the west side of the river so they can use it when I'm sarcastically pointing out that St. Paul is the capital.[/QUOTE]

So is Albany, New York. Same deal. :P

Edited by 70charger, 20 September 2012 - 11:54 PM.
edited to add the smiley, so no one takes this too seriously...

#14 Wolfy

Wolfy

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:41 AM

The guy has been a great ball player. That is all there is to that.

#15 Scheherezade

Scheherezade

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

That was a pleasurable read. I enjoyed the writer's perspective on Mauer.

#16 one_eyed_jack

one_eyed_jack

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:57 PM

Gee, it took a national scribe to capture the real Joe Mauer, even if only during the course of one day. How about a round of applause for LEN III, Joe C., Reusse, Souhan et al for dropping the ball, rolling it in the gutter, clanking the rim, throwing it in the dirt, etc... on doing this beforehand. Apparently Mauer has a sense of humor, is respected in the clubhouse, and, surprisingly, has a baseball mean streak.

---Well said. Souhan was particularly bad with his supposed anonymous sources who were rolling their eyes at the mere mention of Mauer's name and speculation that Mauer was suffering from depression.

And let's not forget Barreiro's constant harping on him on the radio. I stopped listening to him after his not-so-subtle digs at Mauer in the form of constant gushing over the year AJ is having.

#17 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,324 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:00 PM

Barreiro has been grinding his axe of irrationality against Mauer from day one. He's the media version of dankind.

#18 Lesser Dali

Lesser Dali

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:36 PM

We St. Paulites stick together and produce better MLB ballplayers than Minneapolis. Snap! What do you have to say about that?

St. Paul also produces half way decent trailer parks, a small town night life, and questionable 1980's hairdos and facial hair styles. I think Poison and Motley Crue are all the rage in St. Paul right now.

You are right on the MLB Baseball player topic. It's hard to go wrong with Winfield, Morris, Molitor and Mauer.

#19 Westgaard66

Westgaard66

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:38 PM

While I am not a fan of Mauer's unaggressive approach to hitting, he is extremely good at what he does.

#20 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,115 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:48 PM

For me, this is the quintessential Mauer play:

http://minnesota.twi...t=.jsp&c_id=mlb

So awesome. I just don't understand the negativity that surrounds the guy.

I like the little almost-grin just as he reaches around the net, then he puts his game face back on.

#21 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:25 PM

I believe in being a student of good writing. Our local writers could learn some basic lessons on sports journalism from Mr. Keown. This article is balanced in perspective, meticulously sourced, and elegantly written. So often our local writers approach a deadline like Delmon Young attacks the strike zone. I like Jim, Joe, and Pat. Lavelle may be the best because his writing still reveals a love for the game. But they all could learn something more about working the whole count, a la Mauer, before just swinging at the first pitch. Sometimes they connect, but they are not elite writers. Keown is to writing what Mauer is to catching, fielding, hitting. You have to work at the craft. I would say that Keown exposed our local scribes' 2011 attacks on Mauer as being hasty and ill-timed. Now they look a little ridiculous for swinging at a pitch out of the strike zone.

Danny B gave me my moniker, but he too has turned into a latter-day version of a Reusse Rant (by the way, has anyone else noticed how Patrick has softened over the years? He's getting back on his game). Barreiro needs to find the love of sports, once again, and turn back the page to his award-winning Strib days.

#22 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:56 PM

I believe in being a student of good writing. Our local writers could learn some basic lessons on sports journalism from Mr. Keown. This article is balanced in perspective, meticulously sourced, and elegantly written. So often our local writers approach a deadline like Delmon Young attacks the strike zone. I like Jim, Joe, and Pat. Lavelle may be the best because his writing still reveals a love for the game. But they all could learn something more about working the whole count, a la Mauer, before just swinging at the first pitch. Sometimes they connect, but they are not elite writers. Keown is to writing what Mauer is to catching, fielding, hitting. You have to work at the craft. I would say that Keown exposed our local scribes' 2011 attacks on Mauer as being hasty and ill-timed. Now they look a little ridiculous for swinging at a pitch out of the strike zone.

Danny B gave me my moniker, but he too has turned into a latter-day version of a Reusse Rant (by the way, has anyone else noticed how Patrick has softened over the years? He's getting back on his game). Barreiro needs to find the love of sports, once again, and turn back the page to his award-winning Strib days.

And you sir, should get kudos for a good post on this great article.

#23 twinzgrl

twinzgrl

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

Thanks for the link to this article. A great read. I met him once at spring training. He talked to everyone, old, young, handicapped. Patient, accomodating, polite...class act. I am so pleased that he has rebounded this season and silenced the many doubters. I wish him many more years of success!

#24 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

For me, the Guitar Hero anecdote sums it all up. The guy is a Natural, probably at everything. He is the type that could "roll out of bed and hit .300." But, he doesn't do that. Clearly, he works his butt off to get even better than that. There is a reason why he leads the league in OBP and might win another batting title (would that really surprise anyone?). I think people get frustrated when "The Natural" scuffles, but no one is perfect. For me, Mauer is a having a Hall of Fame career and I love to watch him play. I can understand day to day frustration with Mauer, but not recognizing his greatness is just ignorance to me.

Also, there is a reason certain writers go "national" and others remain "local." Souhan would rather perfect his Rick Reilly-rip-off routine than actually learn something or write anything that is worth reading.