Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Dominican Academy's first graduating class

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,976 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 09:38 AM

When the Twins opened up their new Dominican academy, the hope was it would help them in recruiting your players. But it is more than that. Players are able to work on their baseball skills, but after practices, they can go to a classroom and take classes. It used to be that they could take some English classes. But last week, seven players graduated with their high school equivalency diplomas. 

Derek Falvey first mentioned this at the media luncheon at Target Field previous to Twins Fest. 

Alex Banks, Jim Caceres, Wilfri Castro, Jesús Feliz, José Guevara, Nelson Roberto and Nomar Urdaneta make up the organization’s first graduating class.

Betsy Helfand wrote about it here: 

https://www.twinciti...aduating-class/

The Twins, like many other major league teams, partner with CENAPEC, which works with the Dominican Republic’s education ministry to bring players through the high school equivalency program.

In addition to English, Amanda Daley, the Twins’ Senior Manager for International Administration and Education, said players also take a Spanish language class, a social science class, a natural science and a math class.

They also learn computer skills and life skills, which can range from dental hygiene to sexual and reproductive health classes to money management and safe driving instruction.

Every team has some kind of learning initiative, but not every team has a high school equivalency program.

• Carole Keller, ashbury, 70charger and 1 other like this

#2 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 05:03 PM

Would be cool if some of those guys were able to get baseball scholarships

#3 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 05:10 PM

Would be cool if some of those guys were able to get baseball scholarships

They don't want scholarships they want to get signed by a MLB team.

#4 rdehring

rdehring

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 05:45 PM

Is my assumption correct that all seven are either Twins DSL players, or maybe Twins and Phillies?

I see this as a great story, one the entire organization should be proud of. 

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,976 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 11:07 PM

Is my assumption correct that all seven are either Twins DSL players, or maybe Twins and Phillies?

I see this as a great story, one the entire organization should be proud of. 

These seven players are just from the Twins. I don't know if the Phillies share resources.